Apple exec Craig Federighi says no October event this year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2017
With just 11 days left in the month, Apple will not be holding an October press event this year, the company's head of software engineering reportedly said in an email.




"I think we're all Keynoted out for the season," Craig Federighi is said to have written in response to a MacRumors reader. Apple has periodically hosted October events, most recently one in 2016 to reveal the first Touch Bar-equipped MacBook Pro.

That event was held Oct. 27, and if it wanted to, the company could still send out press invites for a 2017 event on Oct. 27, 30, or 31 given normal gaps between invitation and event. The media usually gets at least a week's lead time in order to make travel and coverage arrangements.

There are still two major products expected to launch this year: the Siri-equipped HomePod speaker, and the iMac Pro, a desktop aimed at people with intense audio, video, and 3D graphics demands. Both are only slated to ship in December though and have previously been announced, probably leaving little to say until they hit shelves.

Another end-of-year product, the 2013 Mac Pro, shipped on Dec. 19 that year -- just barely making its announced launch window. Apple's AirPods from 2016 also hit the window, but only just.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,748member
    :( I hate being right about this.
    macxpresscgWerks
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Duh.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 289member
    No other possibilities of seeing him neigh?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    It has been an amazing year for Apple with nearly its entire product line seeing significant updates.  While the software updates were equally impressive.  I will be retiring a 2009 iMac, 2013 MBP and (fingers crossed) getting the iPhone X.

    My only gripe is that iOS11 signing authority should be rolled back, as iOS11.1 autoloaded on the one iPad I was not updating and I've lost all of my 32bit data with apparently no opportunity to get it back.  Really disappointed in Apple for that....
  • Reply 5 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 1,450member
    January.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 1,450member
    emoeller said:
    It has been an amazing year for Apple with nearly its entire product line seeing significant updates.  While the software updates were equally impressive.  I will be retiring a 2009 iMac, 2013 MBP and (fingers crossed) getting the iPhone X.

    My only gripe is that iOS11 signing authority should be rolled back, as iOS11.1 autoloaded on the one iPad I was not updating and I've lost all of my 32bit data with apparently no opportunity to get it back.  Really disappointed in Apple for that....

    Costly, but could you not buy an iPad running iOS 10 and restore from an iCloud backup?

    Also, have you disabled auto-updating? It's much better with iOS 11, begin two steps for me on every device (first Download, then Install). None of our devices have auto-updated without our permission.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 7 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,748member
    January.
    I would love to see Apple go back to have announcements after the New Year. Personally, I feel that lumping so many product categories together into a single event or event cycle is just overwhelming to the customer, makes many customers (at least on these forums) feel that Apple never updates anything, and could limit overall sales. I'm fairly certain I would've been up for a new iPhone this year had I not decided to get a new Watch and Apple TV this season.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 8 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    iMac Pro and HomePod should have been announced later.

    Is it just me or is HomePod hype dying a little?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,748member
    cali said:
    iMac Pro and HomePod should have been announced later.
     More "Apple should've blah blah" crap. :eyeroll:

    Is it just me or is HomePod hype dying a little?
    Why do you mean by "dying"? It was announced, and given a tentative release date months in advance as major new products typically get. The only additional momentum it had was from that firmware dump. What exactly do you expect until it's actually released and reviewed?
    edited October 2017 cornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    iMac Pro and HomePod should have been announced later.
     More "Apple should've blah blah" crap. :eyeroll:

    Is it just me or is HomePod hype dying a little?
    Why do you mean by "dying"? It was announced, and given a tentative release date months in advance as major new products typically get. The only additional momentum it had was from that firmware dump. What exactly do you expect until it's actually released and reviewed?
    Yep.  Homepod cannot be in its death throes before it's official launch.  The announcement of the product was the soft launch where they were showing off a product at the event but before it was ready to be officially launched.  No one could use it because the software was not ready for prime-time at the time of WWDC.  Also, the manufacturing lines were likely not complete as well.
    Soli
  • Reply 11 of 31
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,755member
    Very sad really.   For one the Mini hasnt been updated in years.  Both the Mini and the iMac are big Christmas sales and thus benefit from even minor refreshes.  You would think that Apple would want to prime people for the consumer sales season here and that would mean laptop updates too.  

    Of course we still have November which effectively is another season.    It is probably a good time to launch HomePod and other new products.  
  • Reply 12 of 31
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,717member
    I hope Siri works not just as a "musicologist"
    Google and Amazon have both announced new products (Home,mini Home, Echo Plus, Sonos One) and updated their software to recognize multiple, individuals.   The homepod looked real good last may but the bar keeps getting higher.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 2,064member
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    iMac Pro and HomePod should have been announced later.
     More "Apple should've blah blah" crap. :eyeroll:
    You say, immediately after you yourself said what Apple should do differently, but in a passive voice.

    :eyeroll:
    cgWerkscornchip
  • Reply 14 of 31
    GG1GG1 Posts: 243member
    wizard69 said:
    Very sad really.   For one the Mini hasnt been updated in years.  Both the Mini and the iMac are big Christmas sales and thus benefit from even minor refreshes.  You would think that Apple would want to prime people for the consumer sales season here and that would mean laptop updates too.  

    Of course we still have November which effectively is another season.    It is probably a good time to launch HomePod and other new products.  
    I believe Apple have introduced mild upgrades to products in the past without a formal or public event. Could the Mini fall under this category?

    Like you said, November or December is possible for an iMac Pro/HomePod event. December may be a bit late for the Christmas season for the HomePod. The iMac Pro probably has a different target audience than the regular iMac, so no real need to target Christmas (despite a supposed December release).
    cornchip
  • Reply 15 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,748member
    dysamoria said:
    Soli said:
    cali said:
    iMac Pro and HomePod should have been announced later.
     More "Apple should've blah blah" crap. :eyeroll:
    You say, immediately after you yourself said what Apple should do differently, but in a passive voice.
    No, I didn't.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Am I the only one still pissed about the massive and pointless spoiler leaks from macrumors and 9to5? Why was there not more backlash about that? It seemed like a pretty terrible thing to do, and serving no purpose for anyone at all, except for self-aggrandizement on the part of the two websites (which were, historically, pretty douchey to begin with).
  • Reply 17 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,829member
    I don't know why anyone would think there would be another Keynote. Everything Apple is releasing has already been announced. They've already announced HomePod, and they've already announced the iMac Pro. They aren't going to have a Keynote for a niche product (iMac Pro). 
  • Reply 18 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,748member
    macxpress said:
    I don't know why anyone would think there would be another Keynote. Everything Apple is releasing has already been announced. They've already announced HomePod, and they've already announced the iMac Pro. They aren't going to have a Keynote for a niche product (iMac Pro). 
    Because they typically have one in October that's Mac focused, but as you point out, they've already announced the iMac Pro and Home Pod which led me (and many others) to deduce that there would be no further Mac updates this year.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 19 of 31
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,092member
    bkkcanuck said:
    Homepod cannot be in its death throes before it's official launch.
    To be fair, they said 'the hype' not the Homepod. :)  I'm just disappointed that resources are being put into stuff like this when there is so much other work to do (and presumably resources are the problem?). I'm all for branching out into new areas... but that should happen after the holes in the ship are plugged.

    GG1 said:
    I believe Apple have introduced mild upgrades to products in the past without a formal or public event. Could the Mini fall under this category?
    We could hope. Actually, I don't want them to try and 'reinvent' it. It just needs a new CPU (hopefully quad-core option), GPU and chipset (ports) and it's good to go. Should take them a week or two.

    Am I the only one still pissed about the massive and pointless spoiler leaks from macrumors and 9to5?
    I think so. :) Forgotten history already, I guess. But, IMO (as I said at the time) there wasn't really much to spoil.

    Soli said:
    Because they typically have one in October that's Mac focused, but as you point out, they've already announced the iMac Pro and Home Pod which led me (and many others) to deduce that there would be no further Mac updates this year.
    I gotta agree here. I don't expect anything else Mac until sometime next year. I'm not happy about that.... but it's what I expect to happen.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    cali said:


    Is it just me or is HomePod hype dying a little?
    It's not just you. It seems, the new Chicago store is getting more attention than the homepod. For an entirely new product category, and an entirely new use of Siri, this device receives surprisingly low attention. In particular given that Apple announced it just once, months ago, and only as 'Sneak Peak'. Sounded as if there was more to come. But apparently not. I'd love to see what I am buying. I was quite happy to buy one after the sneak peak, but now, without any further information or explanation of a unique selling point, I'm no longer sure.
Sign In or Register to comment.