First look: Apple's official iPhone X leather and silicone cases

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
Though Apple is holding back deliveries of the iPhone X until its official launch on Friday, the company has placed no such restrictions on official cases for the highly anticipated handset, as customers have now been receiving Apple's official iPhone X protective cases.

Ahead of Friday's launch, Apple provided AppleInsider with an iPhone X review unit and a white silicone case.

Separately, we ordered an Apple-branded iPhone X leather case in black, which arrived in the mail before the official launch date. Apple retail stores have also begun selling iPhone X cases prior to launch.

The official iPhone X case lineup comes in three distinct models: the silicone is priced at $39, while the leather is $49. Finally, there is also an iPhone X Leather Folio case, with a protective screen cover that doubles as a wallet for cards and identification, priced at $99.

Anyone who has used Apple's previous official silicone and leather cases for the iPhone will be familiar with the quality of the new cases. Of course, they have been redesigned to fit the new chassis of the iPhone X, as well as the vertical rear camera array, but they still look, feel and fit like their predecessors, and feature an Apple logo emblazoned on the back.

Apple continues to warn that the leather cases, which are made from specially tanned and finished European leather, will develop a natural patina over time.

The folio case is a new design for Apple, and for the first time brings Smart Cover like functionality first introduced on the iPad to the iPhone lineup. Like with iPad covers, the leather folio includes a microfiber lining that will help remove fingerprints from the display when closed.

Notably, all of Apple's cases -- and also many third-party ones -- are compatible with inductive wireless charging. That means you can leave your case on the iPhone X when you place it on a compatible charging pad.

While Apple's iPhone X cases are currently available direct from the company, they're also listed as "coming soon" at resellers, including AppleInsider partner B&H, where customers can be notified when the iPhone X leather, leather folio and silicone cases become available.

AppleInsider will have much more on the iPhone X, including our full review, in the coming days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Again, no mention on how Apple’s cases have no bottom lip across the front while most 3rd party cases do. That bottom lip is going to be a pain with the X considering all the swiping up that needs to be done to unlock the phone and get to the home screen. Apple’s 1st party cases may be the way to go until 3rd parties finally realize this. 
    netmagejony0
  • Reply 2 of 26
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Is Apple's "Battery" Case going to make an appearance in the near future? Any thoughts? Wireless / Inductive Charging is definitely going to throw a wrench into the mix.
    edited November 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I got a leather case for my iPhone 8 (not X), and it is both thin and attractive. I have never been a user of cases, but am a happy customer with this case. The case does not interfere with inductive charging.
    edited November 2017 nhugheswilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 26
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    mobird said:
    Is Apple's "Battery" Case going to make an appearance in the near future? Any thoughts?
    Oddly no sign of it yet. I am still holding out hope for an inductive charging battery case that leaves the Lightning port exposed for headphones and accessories.
    mobirdrandominternetpersonjony0
  • Reply 5 of 26
    "Apple continues to warn that the leather cases, which are made from specially tanned and finished European leather, will develop a natural patina over time."

"Patina" is a nice way of saying scratches, scuffs, tears, gouges, rips, swelling, and discoloration. :wink:

I've been very pleased with my Apple leather cases. I've found them to be minimalist, yet functional and durable - almost self-healing over time.
    edited November 2017 nhughes
  • Reply 6 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I've been using Apple's leather cases since the iPhone 5. Perfect for what I need protection wise. They slide in and out of the pocket real easily. The silicone cases don't.
    The leather cases still look good after years of use. I don't change cases as a fashion statement, so the same case is on my phone from the day I bought it until the day I trade it in.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 26
    I will be going with this case when I get my next iPhone. 
  • Reply 8 of 26
    After getting silicone & leather Apple cases for my 7 Plus, I don’t think i’ll ever go back to 3rd party cases. Love the fit and feel. Top notch. Now just have to decide between the 2. Leaning towards the silicone. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Just my 0.02c worth : I got the leather one a few days ago for my upcoming X delivery. FYI, the case is quite shiny and relatively slippery, not what I was expecting, and the edges will afford close to zero drop protection since they are thin and hard. For any kind of drop protection would suggest the silicon case or better, a third party silicon case which in my experience tend to be more durable than Apple's silicon cases.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I like the idea of the folio case but unlike on the iPad case where the cover can fold into thirds there appears to be no good way to use the rear facing camera.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    nhughes said:
    mobird said:
    Is Apple's "Battery" Case going to make an appearance in the near future? Any thoughts?
    Oddly no sign of it yet. I am still holding out hope for an inductive charging battery case that leaves the Lightning port exposed for headphones and accessories.
    I'm a huge fan of the Apple battery case on my iPhone 7 and may actually wait on the X until that comes out.    I can get several days of use in the field with that case combined with the iPhones battery.
    mobirdrandominternetperson
  • Reply 12 of 26
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    Will the cases work with Wireless Charging pads? Wireless charging is very new to me and I don't full understand how it works and the limitations.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    zomp said:
    Will the cases work with Wireless Charging pads? Wireless charging is very new to me and I don't full understand how it works and the limitations.
    All Apple cases work with wireless charging pads. This is noted in the article.
    douglas baileyStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Can someone explain why none of these cases are available in store or for delivery on same day the X ships? I just checked the stores in my city and the earliest these cases will be in store is November 10.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Can someone explain why none of these cases are available in store or for delivery on same day the X ships? I just checked the stores in my city and the earliest these cases will be in store is November 10.
    Weird. I saw some pics on Twitter of them being in stores yesterday. I ordered mine last Friday alongside my X, and it shipped on Monday. I just checked Apple's site and you're right, retail availability Nov. 10. I wonder if that's just a conservative estimate.

Frankly, I would imagine Apple will have plenty of cases available at retail for Friday's launch, particularly in major markets. The cases are easy to make, presumably cheap to produce, and buyers are going to want a day-one case. Apple would be leaving money on the table by not having plenty of cases in stock.
  • Reply 16 of 26

I can explain it.  Demand has at least temporarily outstripped supply.  That is, Apple (apparently, based on your statement) doesn't have any in stock at this moment, and it will take 9 days for orders placed today to be fulfilled.
  • Reply 17 of 26

I can explain it.  Demand has at least temporarily outstripped supply.  That is, Apple (apparently, based on your statement) doesn't have any in stock at this moment, and it will take 9 days for orders placed today to be fulfilled.
    Universal Nov. 10 availability at stores (which is what I'm seeing right now) sounds like a placeholder to me, especially when people were finding these in stores yesterday.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    nhughes said:
    Weird. I saw some pics on Twitter of them being in stores yesterday. I ordered mine last Friday alongside my X, and it shipped on Monday. I just checked Apple's site and you're right, retail availability Nov. 10. I wonder if that's just a conservative estimate.

Frankly, I would imagine Apple will have plenty of cases available at retail for Friday's launch, particularly in major markets. The cases are easy to make, presumably cheap to produce, and buyers are going to want a day-one case. Apple would be leaving money on the table by not having plenty of cases in stock.
    I hope they’re at my store on Friday. That’s assuming I get a phone. Of course the store employees have no idea how many phones they’re getting,
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I didn't find any mention whether the case covers the wrap around glass on the new IPhone X or leaves it exposed. Any one know?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Any case that isn't metal and isn't thick will work fine with inductive charging.