Survey shows Americans unwilling to let Amazon Key delivery drivers enter their homes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2017
Following the launch of Amazon Key, survey results question the likelihood of wide-spread adoption of the unattended delivery service citing consumer reluctance.

A new national poll from Morning Consult published on Wednesday claims that 68 percent of U.S. adults aren't comfortable with letting Amazon delivery drivers into their home. The majority of respondents, 53 percent, said that the idea made them "very uncomfortable."

There are clear demographic breakdowns associated with the polling. In the senior citizen bracket of age 65 and up, 83 percent were uncomfortable at some level with the concept, while the majority of 18-29 year-olds were still not happy with the idea but at a smaller 52 percent.

"Any kind of cultural shift like this requires consumers to overcome some sort of barrier," said Parks Associates research director Brad Russell. "In order to do that, the proposed value has to exceed their discomfort."

The survey was conducted among 2,201 U.S. adults between October 26 and October 30.

Responding to the concerns generated by the survey, an unnamed Amazon spokeswoman who declined to provide her name to Morning Consult said that with Amazon Key, the customer is "always in control" and "extensive security measures" have been implemented in the service.

The Amazon Key service was announced on Oct. 25 and is reliant on a smart lock and the new Cloud Cam, its first entry into HomeKit-style smart home products. Amazon verifies that the right delivery driver is arriving at the right address at the right time, which triggers the Cloud Cam and unlocks the door for the driver.

The service requires buying a special $249.99 bundle with everything the consumer needs to start the service -- which at present is only available in 27 U.S. cities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Have they looked at the physical appearance of most of their drivers? A bit different than the cute, long haired woman showing her bare ankles in the photo...umm, no thanks!
    r00fus1king editor the gratekingofsomewherehotStrangeDaysanton zuykovracerhomiejbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 62
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    LOL.... ***only*** 68%?

I want to know who those 32% are who are comfortable with it. I'm sure I can find some things to sell them.
    r00fus1tallest skilanton zuykovjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 62
    So the people with little to nothing say ‘sure’?

It’s not an age thing, it’s an asset thing.

I love Amazon, but I have 2 answers to the question: “F no” and “F off”
    anton zuykovSnickersMagoowatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 62
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    thrang said:
    Have they looked at the physical appearance of most of their drivers? A bit different than the cute, long haired woman showing her bare ankles in the photo...umm, no thanks!
    1. Their drivers? I wasn't aware Amazon had a delivery service in the first place.

2. The cute, long haired woman showing her ankles in the marketing photo could still be a murderous, thieving, arsonist. You weren't taught not to judge by appearances?

king editor the grateanton zuykovdewmelolliverstevenoz
  • Reply 6 of 62
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    So the people with little to nothing say ‘sure’?

It’s not an age thing, it’s an asset thing.

I love Amazon, but I have 2 answers to the question: “F no” and “F off”
    I have very few assets but that just makes me more concerned about losing what I have (because I can't afford to re-acquire it).

Also: I'm with the people saying "eff no!"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 62
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Would be curious to see results for the same survey in two years. This is how it will go with some people...

1. I would never allow the delivery person to enter my home.
    2. Oh crap, the new TV I need for the Super Bowl is coming on Friday and it's supposed to rain. Plus I don't want that big box sitting on my porch until we get home from work.
    3. I already have one of those smart lock thingies, maybe I'll try that Amazon Key service. Just this one time.
    4. That went well, I'll have them put the groceries in the house too. Don't want them to sit outside in the heat all day.
    5. Have you tried Amazon Key? It's really convenient.
    gatorguynhtblah64lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Why is the driver squatting? Seems she's trying to be a bit surreptitious. Mayhap the delivery is prelude to squatting in the house.
    almondroca
  • Reply 9 of 62

Wal-Mart wants its couriers to OPEN YOUR FRIDGE.

Will Google offer straight-to-brain lobotomies? They’re the kings of doublethink and privacy theft, after all.
    anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 62
    dysamoria said:
    thrang said:
    1. Their drivers? I wasn't aware Amazon had a delivery service in the first place.

2. The cute, long haired woman showing her ankles in the marketing photo could still be a murderous, thieving, arsonist. You weren't taught not to judge by appearances?

1. You seriously have never seen the white vans with the lower case “a” zipping around your neighborhood at excessively high speeds? You really need to get out more. 

2. This isn’t a Charlie’s Angels movie! Stop living in your Netflix universe and go outside.
    anton zuykovtokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Hell no! They aren’t coming in to my place.

Even if the deliverer is OK, who’s liable if they don’t close the door properly and someone else comes in and robs the place? Or lays in wait to assault the resident when they come home?

Lawyers/litigants: start your engines.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 62
    dysamoria said:
    thrang said:

Actually, Amazon does use their own vans and drivers depending on how close you are to one of their DCs that has your item in stock. I was surprised too when my daughter told me virtually all her Amazon deliveries are made by Amazon vans.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 62
    mike1 said:
    Would be curious to see results for the same survey in two years. This is how it will go with some people...

2. Oh crap, the new TV I need for the Super Bowl is coming on Friday and it's supposed to rain. Plus I don't want that big box sitting on my porch until we get home from work.
    3. I already have one of those smart lock thingies, maybe I'll try that Amazon Key service. Just this one time.
    4. That went well, I'll have them put the groceries in the house too. Don't want them to sit outside in the heat all day.
    How about “Do you have pets?”

Is it worth the chance your pets escape to get something delivered a bit earlier?

In most cases I’m good with saying “leave it outside the door”.

The people that said “yes” didn’t think about it.  

This was never a “yes” or “no” question, there are other options...
    StrangeDaysking editor the gratedysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Why is the driver squatting? Seems she's trying to be a bit surreptitious. Mayhap the delivery is prelude to squatting in the house.
    Proper way to lift and put down the possibly heavy box.
    lolliverdysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 62
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    dysamoria said:
    thrang said:

The data is pretty clear - women are less likely to be serial killers than men. Don’t pretend otherwise.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mike1 said:

How about “Do you have pets?”
    Excellent point. This is not a service meant for a home with an animal running loose inside. If I were a delivery driver I'd worry just as much about being attacked by one who's only doing his job protecting the home as letting a dog/cat out by accident.
    king editor the gratedysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 62
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Sorry, too much risk here.  What if they let the cat or dog out?  What if I forget and they walk in while I'm home?  What happens when the driver is fed up and decides this is the house he's going to rob before he quits?  Or sees my nice sunglasses on the end table and I probably won't notice them gone?   

Need more details about verifying the right driver?  Are the drivers ok with this?  What if they get in but someone was waiting for them to unlock the house and they follow the driver inside, now the driver is at risk too.  

Sorry, I am all for "new and improved" but this sets off too many personal alarms for me.  And yeah, I think the same about Walmarts service.
    king editor the gratecgWerksdysamoria
  • Reply 18 of 62
    I am part of the group that would be fine with this.  We already let several vendors in our house for delivery of goods and services.  We also do not lock our house.  Good to be in small town USA.  If I was in a city it would be a tough sell.
    ben20
  • Reply 19 of 62
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    Only if I had a floorplan such that I could grant access to a "mud room", but the rest of my house remained behind a 2nd, locked door.
    cgWerksairnerddysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Just like 5 years ago a survey would have shown the majority of people saying "no way" to getting into a car with a stranger instead of using a taxi, and 'get the F out' to renting out someone's apartment or letting strangers into yours. This will all change once the 32% start gushing about how they couldn't live without it now :)
    mike1tokyojimu