Apple revenue surges 12% to $52.6B on sales of 46.7M iPhones, 5.4M Macs

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited November 2017
Apple on Thursday reported an iPhone 8 launch quarter that exceeded market expectations, topping revenue from a year ago by 12 percent as Apple's diversified iPhone lineup is showing signs of strength.

The results run through the end of September and include the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus launch, though Apple did not break down sales of those specific models. Total iPhone sales for the quarter were 46.7 million, exceeding the 46 million expected on Wall Street, and growing from the 45.5 million iPhones Apple sold a year ago in the iPhone 7 launch quarter.

Notably, this year, Apple staggered its iPhone launch lineup, and there were concerns that the debut of the iPhone 8 might not be enough to boost sales. In particular, some investors were concerned that buyers would wait for the iPhone X, which launches on Friday.

In Apple's other businesses, the Mac also demonstrated year over year growth, reaching 5.4 million units in the three-month span. That bested the 4.9 million Macs Apple sold in the same period last year.

iPad sales were up, too, to 10.3 million, pushing higher than the 9.3 million iPads Apple sold a year prior.

Revenue was $52.6 billion, and net profit for the quarter reached $10.7 billion.

Earnings per diluted share was $2.07, up 24 percent, and international sales accounted for 62 percent of the quarter's revenue.

"We're happy to report a very strong finish to a great fiscal 2017, with record fourth quarter revenue, year-over-year growth for all our product categories, and our best quarter ever for Services," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said. "With fantastic new products including iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, Apple Watch Series 3, and Apple TV 4K joining our product lineup, we're looking forward to a great holiday season, and with the launch of iPhone X getting underway right now, we couldn't be more excited as we begin to deliver our vision for the future with this stunning device."

Apple's board of directors also declared a cash dividend of 63 cents per share of common stock, payable on Nov. 16 to shareholders of record as of close of business on Nov. 13.

"Apple's year-over-year revenue growth rate accelerated for the fourth consecutive quarter and drove EPS growth of 24 percent in the September quarter," Apple Chief Financial Officer Luca Maestri said. "We also generated strong operating cash flow of $15.7 billion and returned $11 billion to investors through our capital return program."

Looking ahead to the first quarter of fiscal 2018, which includes the launch of the iPhone X as well as the upcoming HomePod and iMac Pro, Apple is forecasting the following:
  • revenue between $84 billion and $87 billion
  • gross margin between 38 percent and 38.5 percent
  • operating expenses between $7.65 billion and $7.75 billion
  • other income/(expense) of $600 million
  • tax rate of 25.5 percent

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    a/k/a a metric fucktonne of profit. Again.
    potatoleeksoupd_2racerhomielkruppchiawelshdogpscooter63calilollivermagman1979
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Doomed. 

Cue stock tank. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Certainly nothing to cry about here. Stock has been moving up between $5.00 and $6.00 after hours, but we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how that holds up.
    potatoleeksoupbshankSpamSandwichmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Holy cow!  Good for those AAPL holders. Stock up 3% after hours  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Wow. If that’s what they do with the “failed” iPhone 8 what is the X going to do in this quarter? I imagine the only limitation will be how many they can make and whether they register the sale when they are ordered or when they are shipped. If the latter, then this big bump will be smoothed over the next 2 quarters so it will be a weird super cycle (which might make FY19 hard to match 18).
    bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    So where are anal-list guessers?? They are always off the chart yet pretend to know everything about apple products. Yaiks
    calimagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Bebe said:
    Holy cow!  Good for those AAPL holders. Stock up 3% after hours  :D
    $173.5 and more.
    Bebewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    It’s what Apple reports that matter. It’s what the analysts guesses that counts. Apple is doomed!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Doomed I tell ya.
    Doomed !!!!!!
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 37
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    capnbob said:
    Wow. If that’s what they do with the “failed” iPhone 8 what is the X going to do in this quarter? I imagine the only limitation will be how many they can make and whether they register the sale when they are ordered or when they are shipped. If the latter, then this big bump will be smoothed over the next 2 quarters so it will be a weird super cycle (which might make FY19 hard to match 18).
    I'm guessing that next year will be the super cycle: multiple phones with FaceID (meaning multiple price points) and no supply issues.

Anecdotal: several co-workers and myself are waiting for next year's offerings.
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Looks like early retirement!
    equality72521chiacaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Oh the horror. Apple only made $10.7B last quarter?  They are doomed with all these “crappy” phones they recently launched! 

P.S. Sarcasm! 😁
    bshanklolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 37
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    These Mac figures are always better than the IDC predictions and yet IDC never learns. 

I think Apple may use the higher ASP on the X to reduce both the price of the  8 and the 7 within a year, it looks like the diversified range works. 
    GG1pscooter63calimagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    There’s not much the critics and naysayers in AI comment sections can do to spin this negative. If they do make a statement they expose themselves as ignorance personified.
    chiapscooter63lollivercaliquadra 610watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Good think old Sog35 sold his share...

So where do the trolls focus now?  Has the Face ID is .2s slower than Touch ID run its course yet?
    chiastaigardRonnnieOmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Apple will make more profit in the holiday quarter than Amazon has ever made...
    BuffyzDeadking editor the gratechialollivermagman1979baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 37
    No matter what Apple does, the doom and gloom will continue to creep in because Apple isn't like a FANG stock. Apple appears to have beaten all numbers cleanly but tomorrow there will be a crap-load of naysayers claiming how Apple is severely overpriced and needs an immediate pullback. Apple shareholders are not going to get it easy like Amazon shareholders did. There will be no claims that Amazon is overpriced or needs a pullback. Only Apple will be singled out of all the major tech stocks as having no long-term growth potential. The Apple haters will yell and scream about how Apple has risen too far, too fast and there's nothing left for investors to look forward to. I truly hate these jackasses who always manage to point out Apple's weaknesses which nearly all companies have. I abhor those crooks who are always trying to steer potential investors away from Apple for the most ridiculous reasons. These low-down, dirty crooks are deliberately trying to make investors miss a chance to make some money.
    RonnnieOcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 37
    DOOMED, I say !!!….Apple is DOOMED, DOOMED DOOMED !!!!
    SELL SELL SELL. …get out NOW, while you can !!!! /s
    from an Apple Stock Holder. …..hahahahahahahahHahhahahhAhhhhaaaaa!!!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    asdasd said:

I think Apple may use the higher ASP on the X to reduce both the price of the  8 and the 7 within a year, it looks like the diversified range works. 
    Indeed. A year from now, the iPhone X will still be a great phone. And I'm guessing it will be available for less quid.

Ponder this: at some point in the future, will the add a iPhoneSE with the X design?
    baconstangasdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 37
    No matter what Apple does, the doom and gloom will continue to creep in because Apple isn't like a FANG stock. Apple appears to have beaten all numbers cleanly but tomorrow there will be a crap-load of naysayers claiming how Apple is severely overpriced and needs an immediate pullback. Apple shareholders are not going to get it easy like Amazon shareholders did. There will be no claims that Amazon is overpriced or needs a pullback. Only Apple will be singled out of all the major tech stocks as having no long-term growth potential. The Apple haters will yell and scream about how Apple has risen too far, too fast and there's nothing left for investors to look forward to. I truly hate these jackasses who always manage to point out Apple's weaknesses which nearly all companies have. I abhor those crooks who are always trying to steer potential investors away from Apple for the most ridiculous reasons. These low-down, dirty crooks are deliberately trying to make investors miss a chance to make some money.
    Maybe not Amazon, but many of the Internet companies in search & social (Facebook, Twitter, Snap, Google) are getting taken to task by more & more governments on the abuses/illegal activity taking place on their platforms.  Being in the cross hairs of (multiple) governments like that isn't exactly good for business.  I am not saying that it will change in the near term, but some day I expect privacy & security will matter, and those on the wrong side might not do as well...
    lolliverwatto_cobra