New Member Seeks Purchasing Advice For Wireless Networking

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello All

Long time ghoster, first time poster.

I have a powerbook G4 with airport card running 10.2.2. I would like to get a wireless basestation, but do not want to spend $300 on an Airport Basestation. However, in researching alternatives, I am a little leary of the Mac-unfriendliness of most of them. I liked the Linksys, but it seems like a real pain if you need to update the firmware. I can get it for $120, however (Best Buy). So now I'm torn. Are there ANY inexpensive, reliable, and Mac-friendly alternatives? Many thanks for your help.

I.M. VanDeWaals (and no I am not Dutch, its a chemistry thing)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    What's wrong with the linksys?

I have one and am very happy with it. Setting it up was very easy, yadayadayada. And also, firmware updates are only necessary if something is wrong, and nothing has been wrong as of now.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    There are visual basic apps on versiontracker that will do the firmware updates. It worked for my Linksys router (not wireless) fine.

I'd look into how easy administration is, and if you have to have a hardwired computer to administer the wi-fi access.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by browncow:

<strong>There are visual basic apps on versiontracker that will do the firmware updates. It worked for my Linksys router (not wireless) fine.

I'd look into how easy administration is, and if you have to have a hardwired computer to administer the wi-fi access.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll look on VersionTracker. I assume when you mean "hardwired" that you have to have a computer plugged into the router. I know the linksys is configured via a browser...along with a couple others I looked at (D-Link for example). Thanks for this food for thought. I appreciate the input.

I.M. VanDeWaals