Phone/PDA combos & the mac

dtdt
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Of all the phone/pda combos coming out it seems like none of them are going to be compatible with the mac os. After discussing this subject with the first knowledgeable sprint rep I ever encountered he told me that the Handspring Treo, the Samsung i330, and the Kyocera 7135 will not have mac support. None of their websites mention the mac platform, only windows system requirements are listed.

Will there ever be a phone/pda combo that will support the mac? Could there be something on the horizon from apple that would fill this void?

Does this piss anyone else off?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    From the Treo 300 <a href="http://www.handspring.com/products/treo300/specs.jhtml"; target="_blank">specifications page</a>:

[quote]Windows

? Windows 98, Me, 2000 and XP with USB port (USB cable included)

OR

? Windows 95 and NT 4.0 with serial port (serial cable sold separately)

? CD-ROM drive

Macintosh**

? Mac OS 10.1.2 or higher

? Mac OS 9.x<hr></blockquote>

The specs for the other Treos also list Mac support.

I suspect that so long as a Palm-based device has a USB cable, you'll at least be able to sync the basic Palm information with a Mac.

[ 11-21-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    The Treo 300 and Treo 90 didn't initially support OS X because they use a new USB chipset that isn't recognized by Palm's version of Palm Desktop 4. Since then, however, Handspring released their own OS X native version of Palm Desktop which it supports that chipset.

So, yes, the Treo 300 works with OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Doesn't bother me. I think phone/pda combos are overrated, not to mention that they're usually tremendous.

Basically, I see it like this...

I'll carry around a cell phone and a PDA. If I'm at work, or at a convention or something, I'll carry both with me. I can take calls on my phone, and I can exchance business cards with the PDA and schedule appointments, etceteras.

However, if I'm going out for the evening, I'll just leave the PDA at home. Most cell phones keep phone numbers and stuff inside of them, and they're starting to include calendars as well. On the off chance I have to enter information, I can still do it on the phone... and theoretically keep everything synced with iSync if your phone is cool like that.

I think this whole thing is ridiculous. It's like the Army saying, "You know, we really dig the speed and portability of motorcycles... but dammit, we really need a tank turret on one of those things...." and continuing on to proclaim it is the future of military weaponry.

Phone/PDA combos, despite what Jobs believes, are not the future. They're simply going to be another option. The PDA and the cell phone as separate devices will never go away, not for the consumer or professional user.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Sony Ericsson P800.