Video: Apple's iPhone X speakers sound off louder than iPhone 8 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone
Despite sharing many features under the hood, the iPhone X's speakers appear to be more powerful than what you'll hear on the iPhone 8 Plus.



For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.




Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    Hmm that’s interesting I was checking the speakers on my iPhone 8 and my brothers iPhone X and we both agreed that the 8 was a tad bit louder. 
    dws-2
  • Reply 2 of 13
    This was the only comparison I have been trying hard to find all over the internet. By doing a blind hearing test by myself, I find iPhone 8 Plus has more bass and louder sound than iPhone X. Again, I am not comparing iPhone X's speaker with iPhone 8 but rather with iPhone 8 Plus. However, listening with AirPods, in-ear headphones, I find no difference in the sound. iPhone 8 Plus has more grill holes than iPhone X.
    edited November 2017 dws-2
  • Reply 3 of 13
    So how much louder? Can you give us a number?

    it is pointless to have a sound meter setup but no number to back it up.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 1,532member
    Speakers, in and of themselves, are not more or less powerful. The complete audio system built into the phone includes the speakers, the amplifier and the volume of the enclosure as well as any processing of the signal. The speakers may be larger to allow for deeper bass and more output with a smaller amplifier. Alternatively, the speakers themselves may be smaller, but used with a more powerful amplifier may produce the same sound pressure level. Also in the mix is equalization of the entire system to provide a more accurate and balanced output.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I got to call BS on this!  You guys use this fancy microphone and claim the iPhoneX speakers are better.  Then why can't we hear that?  In fact all the comparison test I've done as the others have said my ears and decibel meter indicates that iPhone 8 Plus is a tad bit louder, but in reality I bet they are the exact same speakers.  
    edited November 2017 dws-2
  • Reply 6 of 13
    LukeCage said:
    Hmm that’s interesting I was checking the speakers on my iPhone 8 and my brothers iPhone X and we both agreed that the 8 was a tad bit louder. 
    The Mids on the 8 Plus seem to be louder.
    But the lows & highs are where the X is flexing the new speakers
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 13

    "Apple's iPhone X speakers sound off louder than iPhone 8 Plus"

    The phrasing of the headline sounds off to me.

    king editor the grateStrangeDayssuddenly newton
  • Reply 8 of 13
    otacorb said:
    I got to call BS on this!  You guys use this fancy microphone and claim the iPhoneX speakers are better.  Then why can't we hear that?  In fact all the comparison test I've done as the others have said my ears and decibel meter indicates that iPhone 8 Plus is a tad bit louder, but in reality I bet they are the exact same speakers.  
    The primary difference is the balance between the 8 and X. That's what is most noticeable. If you'd compare them with the bottom speakers covered, you'd hear more coming from the earpiece speaker on the X.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mike1 said:
    Speakers, in and of themselves, are not more or less powerful. The complete audio system built into the phone includes the speakers, the amplifier and the volume of the enclosure as well as any processing of the signal. The speakers may be larger to allow for deeper bass and more output with a smaller amplifier. Alternatively, the speakers themselves may be smaller, but used with a more powerful amplifier may produce the same sound pressure level. Also in the mix is equalization of the entire system to provide a more accurate and balanced output.
    There is one difference in the iPhone X vs the iPhone 8. They both have the same audio codec chip and three amplifiers. However one the the Amplifier chips in the iPhone X is different. IPhone X ...one Apple/Cirrus Logic 338S00296 audio amplifier , Two Apple/Cirrus Logic 338S00295 audio amplifier chips IPhone 8 ...three Apple/Cirrus Logic 338S00295 audio amplifier chips
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Teardown of the iPhone X shows different mix of Amplifier chips

    http://www.techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/apple-iphone-x-teardown
    dws-2
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tipootipoo Posts: 790member
    This is what I had been wondering about and couldn't find, good timing. 

    My 7s top speaker isn't great, blocking it loses very little, while blocking the bottom speaker loses 80% of the volume and all of the mids and lows. 

    It sounds like the 8 Plus may be equally loud or louder than the X, but the left/top channel on the 8 is mostly highs you notice, while the X sounds like the two sides are balanced which is more important. 


    Good to know. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    viclauyyc said:
    So how much louder? Can you give us a number?

    it is pointless to have a sound meter setup but no number to back it up.
    3163
  • Reply 13 of 13
    It is not speakers. It is amplifier that drives them. Next thing we will find out there is subwoofer in iPhone from those reviews.
Sign In or Register to comment.