Video: 'Hey Siri' might come to the iMac Pro thanks to an A10 Fusion coprocessor

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Developers Guilherme Rambo and Stephen Troughton-Smith have found "Hey Siri" functionality in the macOS code base with support for multiple user accounts all driven by what appears to be the A10 Fusion processor, according to the pair. AppleInsider talks about why Apple might do that, and what it would mean for the iMac Pro.

This functionality depends on the presence of BridgeOS hardware, like the A10 Fusion coprocessor. If the accounts are correct, the coprocessor would also take over the boot process, security, and the FaceTime camera, running a stripped down version of iOS as BridgeOS.

Guilherme also discovered the "Hey Siri" setup on macOS, which is identical to the one on iOS. This would conveniently allow users to use Hey Siri instead of the required click or keystroke to invoke Siri.

Twitter user "tipoo" mentioned that the old A8 processor had "Hey Siri" support when connected to power, while the A9 supported the feature on battery power. So if Apple implements the A10 in the iMac Pro, the company likely has bigger plans in mind, such as sleep handling, idling, background downloads and more. Offloading those tasks to the A10 chip could leave the main Intel processor alone, helping with power consumption and performance.

Although "Hey Siri" is an interesting feature to have on an iMac, an A10 Fusion coprocessor could also support SecureBoot on the iMac Pro. This means that Apple could be using the A10 Fusion chip to handle the initial boot process and confirm the software checks out before passing the startup process off to the regular Intel processor in your Mac.

With an Apple-designed coprocessor, even more possibilities for new features open up in the future, like the addition of the Secure Enclave to allow some sort of implementation of the iPhone X's Face ID to come to iMacs in the future.

Apple Pay on iMacs currently authenticates using your connected iPhone's Touch ID, Face ID or unlocked Apple Watch. Face ID on the iMac would finally allow it authenticate purchases without a nearby device.

There's also a possibility that Apple could release a Magic Keyboard with Touch Bar and Touch ID.

The A10 Fusion processor comes directly from the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, and a beefed up version of it is founded in the latest iPad Pros. Bringing the A10 to the iMac Pro could allow it to natively run iOS, offering features that previously required an iPhone or iPad, like running iOS apps from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Convenient for hands-free command. Now if only Apple would upgrade Siri's understanding.
    xzupatchythepiratedoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 12
    How many pro creatives actually may find SIRI of use? Liberal arts connected dots redefined...?
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 3 of 12
    How many pro creatives actually may find SIRI of use? Liberal arts connected dots redefined...?
    I’m a pro user and if Apple can eliminate clicks that’s good for everyone.

Sometimes we need to look up certain functions and techniques for movie creation etc. If Siri were smarter this would be extremely helpful.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 12
    This is way more interesting than Hey Siri.  It is the start of fusing iOS  and MacOS.   It could allow the “trucks”  (Macs) and “cars” (iPhones & iPads) to seamlessly share programs and data.  It would take the idea of handoff to a whole new level.  
    watto_cobradoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 5 of 12
    emoeller said:
    This is way more interesting than Hey Siri.  It is the start of fusing iOS  and MacOS.   It could allow the “trucks”  (Macs) and “cars” (iPhones & iPads) to seamlessly share programs and data.  It would take the idea of handoff to a whole new level.  
    I’d imagine developers will love this. 
    watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Interesting. This could make the iOS simulator much more useable, especially for iOS games developers. 
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I do not understand complicating things with adding a A10 chip in the iMac Pro.The Xeon chips in the machine does not need any help from an iOS chip. One example of Apple incorporating iOS apps with Mac OS applications is Siri. Hey Siri does not work very well and I feel is a complete failure as a voice recognition program. It does not understand anything I ask of it. Apple is constantly pushing things on it's customer which does not work. I am glad I have decided to go back to PC's cause Apple is very hard headed about incorporating iOS device with MacOS for some sort of compatibility dream. Apple has made the Mac computer line into a huge joke. No real vision in trying to keep the Mac viable. Why not just stop making the computer. Apple has it's concentration on the mobile devices. Just stay with that. Apple is not into the Macs anymore despite what Tim says. Tim Cook is lying when says the Mac is still very important to Apple. There are no real choices for it's computer line...Macbook, MacBook Pro & iMac are the only Mac's Apple has been updating regularly. The MacBook Air, Mac mini and Mac Pro looks like the dark horses of the Apple computer line up. No real updates in several years. I do not want to waste any money buying another Apple computer because of the way Tim is destroying the Mac line up because of his lack of vision.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 12
    This kind of feature replication across amateur/pro product lines is a sign of mental disability at Apple. MacPro is a keyboard-centric device where personal identification isn't an issue. No need for FaceID, Siri, LaunchPad and other iPlay nonsense. Make the machine upgradeable and for once, listen to customers and developers (Adobe) if you want to save the platform. So many have left already - and will be happy they escaped Siri.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Hey Siri does not work very well and I feel is a complete failure as a voice recognition program. It does not understand anything I ask of it. 
    Trying to parse your post, and I have to say I’m not surprised. 

Is there something I’m missing here? Is Apple the only OS builder that has text engines that can work with paragraphs?
    edited November 2017 watto_cobradoozydozenfastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Bacillus3 said:
    This kind of feature replication across amateur/pro product lines is a sign of mental disability at Apple. MacPro is a keyboard-centric device where personal identification isn't an issue. No need for FaceID, Siri, LaunchPad and other iPlay nonsense. Make the machine upgradeable and for once, listen to customers and developers (Adobe) if you want to save the platform. So many have left already - and will be happy they escaped Siri.
    So many have left and yet they’re selling more Macs than they ever have. 

I don’t doubt that many have left – though you haven’t provided any figures. And you also don’t have any figures for how many have joined. 

As as I keep saying, Apple caters for professionals, but what defines a ‘professional’ changes with each generation. It makes sense to cater for the new mobile pro, rather than the old ones who are coming to the end of their careers and/or are to set in their ways to adapt. 
    doozydozenjony0
  • Reply 11 of 12
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Rayz2016 said:
    So many have left and yet they’re selling more Macs than they ever have. 
    I don’t doubt that many have left – though you haven’t provided any figures. And you also don’t have any figures for how many have joined. 

As as I keep saying, Apple caters for professionals, but what defines a ‘professional’ changes with each generation. It makes sense to cater for the new mobile pro, rather than the old ones who are coming to the end of their careers and/or are to set in their ways to adapt. 
    Who has left (or will) isn't unimportant. If 1 pro leaves and is replaced by 10 prosumers, while that looks great on the spreadsheets, it won't be great for Apple's longer-term image.

New mobile pros (an iMac isn't mobile, BTW) will still have to get their work done to be effective at their careers. I don't expect, 'Hey Siri, render me up that new skyscraper design' to work anytime soon (if ever).
  • Reply 12 of 12
    that's dope, i really hope that someday wherever i stand and  say "hey siri" in my home i can ask the gadget to do whatever i want lol