Feral drives 'Grid Autosport' port to iPhone and iPad with 'console-quality' visuals

Posted:
in iOS edited November 2017
Feral Interactive has released its second port of a Codemasters game this month, with triple-A racing title 'Grid Autosport' driving from consoles into the iOS App Store as a paid title for iPhone and iPad, complete with all of the game's downloadable content and high quality visuals.

The iOS release of "Grid Autosport" is said to be a "console-quality" racing game, retaining both the gameplay and the visuals the game has on other formats, including game consoles and desktops. The vast majority of the original game is included in this mobile version, which has been given a light treatment to make it more suitable for playing on an iPhone or iPad.

The game features over 100 cars from a number of different classes, including touring cars, hypercars, single-seaters, drift, and endurance GT cars. Each of the vehicles can be driven across any of the 100 circuits and routes available from the game's numerous locations.

The core of the game comes from its career mode, where players have to take part in various disciplines, ranging from the aggressive touring car championship to endurance events, from street races to the control-based tuner events. Players can join and switch teams, earn sponsor rewards, and compete against rivals in different race series.

Feral has adapted the game for the iPhone and iPad by including both touch and tilt-based controls, though Feral also included support for MFi controllers for a more console-like experience. A scalable difficulty system is also included, with players able to make the game as easy or as difficult as they want.

"Grid Autosport" is available in the App Store priced at $9.99, which includes the main game. Extra vehicles and tracks in the content packs are also available to download within the game for free, rather than as an in-app purchase, with the add-ons also including a HD Textures pack to further improve the visual quality of the game.

The game requires an iPhone SE, iPhone 7 or newer, a 2017 iPad, or any iPad Pro running iOS 11 or later to run. While the base game requires 6 gigabytes of storage, it is recommended to have at least 8 gigabytes free "to avoid installation issues."

Earlier this month, Feral released its macOS port of "Dirt Rally," another game by Codemasters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I bought it.

Runs like crap on my A9x iPad Pro 9.7”.

The iPad is not a PS3 let alone a PS4.

Had the game on PS3 (circa 2006) and it ran great.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Looks as good as PlayStation 2 game graphics and this kind of stuff will just keep getting better as more and more developers go iOS-first with their titles.
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Runs just fine on my 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro. It's easily on par with 360/PS3 level graphics, and there are additional HD textures that can be downloaded after the main game has been installed.
    edited November 2017 watto_cobraracerhomie
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Why isn't the price of this racing app mentioned?

It's $9.99. That's an important consideration. People should know this before they click on the link, no?

And I know you guys hate it when I call you out on these things, but it needs to be clear if there are any financial considerations that come into play here. It should be disclosed to readers up front whether or not this this an affiliate link? Grid Autosport  Keep in mind, I really don't care how AppleInsider makes money, this is a for-profit venture. My only concern is that these things be revealed as paid or in exchange for some kind of consideration. Thanks.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 5 of 14
    CobraGuy said:
    I bought it.

The next guy says the opposite from you. Considering the Ipad pro's perf is way better than this 2006 PS3, not sure wtf your saying unless you are saying the programmers did a poor port (which is in dispute).
    watto_cobraracerhomie
  • Reply 6 of 14
    foggyhill said:
    CobraGuy said:
    I bought it.

The next guy says the opposite from you. Considering the Ipad pro's perf is way better than this 2006 PS3, not sure wtf your saying unless you are saying the programmers did a poor port (which is in dispute).
    I downloaded the texture pack right away before playing it.

maybe that might be an issue.

Framerate is jittery for me. Does get a bit better running in a mode better for battery life that in one of the option menu.

Does look very good. Best looking racer for sure of what I have seen.

i do have Gran Turismo Sport running on a PS4 Pro so maybe I am a bit judgmental.

i am sure there will be a few patches along the way.

price is good with a good deal of content.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    They need to get this running on the 4k Apple TV. With the A10x, it should zip pretty good, not to mention playing on a big TV.
    calimatrix077cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 14

It's $9.99. That's an important consideration. People should know this before they click on the link, no?
    Because clicking a link doesn’t automatically purchase the app? It just brings you to the app in the App Store where you can see the price and decide for yourself if you wish to purchase it. Not seeing the problem. 
    watto_cobrasmiffy31caliracerhomieretrogustofastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 14
    CobraGuy said:
    I downloaded the texture pack right away before playing it.
    I didn't notice a difference in terms of performance between running it without the texture packs initially and then running it with them. I also didn't use the power saving mode. I suspect that it might be the RAM difference between the 9.7 and 12.9: 2GB vs 4GB. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    And again the bastard child of Apple, tvOS gets snubbed. Meanwhile we’re supposed to be at awe at Real Racing 3 for the 2nd year I’m a row... A game from what? 2012?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

And I know you guys hate it when I call you out on these things, but it needs to be clear if there are any financial considerations that come into play here. It should be disclosed to readers up front whether or not this this an affiliate link? Grid Autosport  Keep in mind, I really don't care how AppleInsider makes money, this is a for-profit venture. My only concern is that these things be revealed as paid or in exchange for some kind of consideration. Thanks.
    FTA: "Grid Autosport" is available in the App Store priced at $9.99, which includes the main game. Extra vehicles and tracks in the content packs are also available to download within the game for free, rather than as an in-app purchase, with the add-ons also including a HD Textures pack to further improve the visual quality of the game."

The above sentence has always been included in the article. There have been zero edits since publication.

Nobody pays for news item placements -- we don't accept that at all. However, links to the title in question may or may not include an affiliate link. In this case, this one does. Frankly, I don't care if you use it or not, as you're probably reading on a Mac and you can't buy iOS titles through the Mac anymore.

Related: "Hands On" pieces are always done because somebody at AI wanted to do them, and write about it. We are never paid for them, and the above applies re: affiliate link -- but if the title isn't available in the App Store at publication like the Scrivener piece from this weekend, it won't have an affiliate link.
    edited November 2017 retrogustofastasleepcornchip
  • Reply 12 of 14
    It is.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    It is.
    Damn my eyes! Thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 14

FTA: "Grid Autosport" is available in the App Store priced at $9.99, which includes the main game. Extra vehicles and tracks in the content packs are also available to download within the game for free, rather than as an in-app purchase, with the add-ons also including a HD Textures pack to further improve the visual quality of the game."

The above sentence has always been included in the article. There have been zero edits since publication.

Nobody pays for news item placements -- we don't accept that at all. However, links to the title in question may or may not include an affiliate link. In this case, this one does. Frankly, I don't care if you use it or not, as you're probably reading on a Mac and you can't buy iOS titles through the Mac anymore.

Related: "Hands On" pieces are always done because somebody at AI wanted to do them, and write about it. We are never paid for them, and the above applies re: affiliate link -- but if the title isn't available in the App Store at publication like the Scrivener piece from this weekend, it won't have an affiliate link.
    Thanks for disclosing the existence of the affiliate link. Would appreciate that bit of information added to the story coverage, in the spirit of full disclosure for readers. Appreciate the response, Mike!