Pixelmator Pro debuts with powerful image editing tools, machine learning tech

Posted:
in Mac Software edited November 2017
The developers behind popular image editing app Pixelmator on Tuesday released Pixelmator Pro for Mac, a new title that takes advantage of Apple APIs like Metal 2 and Core Image to deliver GPU-powered tools, machine learning features and more.

Codenamed "Whirlwind," Pixelmator Pro was first announced in September as a next-generation Mac image editor with hooks into Apple's latest graphics platforms, as well as advanced in-house technology designed to turbocharge editing workflows.

Built on Swift 4, the app integrates Metal 2, Core Image and OpenGL for GPU-powered editing, taking computational load off the CPU while accelerating graphically intensive tasks. Metal 2, for example, is utilized to render painting tools and dual texture brushes.

With a revamped single-window interface, which takes the place of Pixelmator's floating tool palettes, Pixelmator Pro puts a focus on the image at hand rather than of the app's toolset. The Pixelmator team also streamlined the GUI to reflect the look and feel of macOS, presenting a finished product that acts and functions much like a first-party Apple product.

New to the app are machine learning assets implemented via the Core ML framework that power intelligent editing tools and features like the ability to detect attributes in images for accurate automatic layer naming, automatic horizon detection, smart object removal and quick selections.

Developers of professional-level image editing software are quickly turning to artificial intelligence technologies to assist in basic workflow tasks. For example, Adobe earlier this week teased a new function coming to Photoshop CC that uses machine learning to automatically select an object, person or animal in a given scene.

In addition to machine learning technology, Pixelmator Pro builds on Pixelmator's foundation as an easy-to-use, yet powerful image editing application. Like competing products, the app supports nondestructive color adjustments, effects, styles and tools, while a new presets feature lets users create and save combinations of adjustments, effects and styles as macros. These presets can then be shared with other Pixelmator Pro users.

The app also supports RAW files, including RAW layers, HEIF files and Adobe Photoshop images. Future Pixelmator Pro updates are already in the works, as is a version for iPad. The developer intends to continue sales and support of Pixelmator in tandem with the new Pro iteration.

Pixelmator Pro version 1.0 requires macOS High Sierra and a Metal-compatible graphics card. The app is available now from the Mac App Store for $59.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    It seems inevitable at this stage that every developer is going to create a “pro” version that will also become a subscription.
    williamlondonDavidAlGregory
  • Reply 2 of 19
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    It seems inevitable at this stage that every developer is going to create a “pro” version that will also become a subscription.
    I've been using the Pixelmator app for quite a while and feeling a bit guilty.  As long as the user base continues to grow the business model is sustainable...ish.  I'll be buying Pro, mostly just because it's not subscription and it's likely the company will keep it that way.

They probably should have made Vectormator a $10 IAP.  When I remember it's there it's quite handy.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 19
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    You can tell the Pro version has a lot more to offer when you select a New Document. Everything from standard paper and photo sizes to social media, film and even icon specialized sizes. As expected, you can use CMYK color values but the file is saved in RGB. There's a whole lot more features and $59 is still a very reasonable price for a very good and fast image editing application.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondondoozydozendysamoriamanfred zorn
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Tried Affinity Designer for a brief test and found it cumbersome and non-intuitive. Maybe this one will be better.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 19
    im enjoying their iOS Pixelmator, its becoming my go to image editor on the platform.
    williamlondonforegoneconclusiondoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Affinity Designer is very intuitive, but then again not every person actually is inutitive in this world. However, the Metal requirement is vague. The Pixelmator Team should list the models of Mac that fully support Pixelmator Pro. There is a difference between Metal and Metal 2 capable hardware. Dear AI: Fix your site login assets already.
    doozydozenwilliamlondonDavidAlGregory
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Haven't upgraded to High Sierra yet but this release gives me some added incentive.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Dear AI: Fix your site login assets already.
    100x upvote.
    DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Looking forward to canceling my $29.99/mo Adobe CC subscription. Adobe can now officially f%@k off! Thanks Pixelmator Pro. Wishing you success in converting tons of Adobe CC users.  <3
    dysamoriawilliamlondonvannygeejony0
  • Reply 10 of 19
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Looking forward to canceling my $29.99/mo Adobe CC subscription. Adobe can now officially f%@k off! Thanks Pixelmator Pro. Wishing you success in converting tons of Adobe CC users.  <3
    What coerced you into it in the first place?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Dear AI: Fix your site login assets already.
    100x upvote.
    Ditto. Mega Dittos
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    This explains why Pixelmator Regular is only $15. I just bought it yesterday! So part of me is a little disappointed but most of me knows that I wouldn't pay $60 unless it included hands on lessons, not online tutorials.

I had used Pixelmator v.1 some years ago and after much stumbling around and no online help, I managed to do the only thing I wanted from it— create a particular size and shape background and lift a simple, usually geometric image off another background and drop it onto a new one. This was to allow me to make desktop images out of various pics I'd find, that didn't fit the shape of my display.

I finally stumbled onto and through the process and had some success. I really liked the feature of picking one color and dropping it on another to change backgrounds. Then they changed it to be more Adobe like maybe and you had to carefully 'paint' in the new color. A pain for me.

So I hope I can figure out how to do that one thing. Then maybe I can work on expanding my photo editing horizons. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 19
    dysamoria said:
    I suppose the point was that there have been very few credible alternatives to Photoshop until recently (assuming this software is competitive).
    edited November 2017 doozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 19
    dysamoria said:
    Adobe, is that you? Sorry, I promise to keep paying monthly. You got me @dysamoria ;

• Reply 15 of 19
    I'm off to the Pixelmator site to see what the real differences between the 2 versions are.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Can it generate drop shadows yet, or do they still expect us to do that by hand? A cheap image editor that came free with a scanner I bought in the 90s could generate drop shadows, but the last time I looked at Pixelmator it still couldn't. I'm curious if people are still giving this app an undue helping of praise.
    williamlondonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Can it generate drop shadows yet, or do they still expect us to do that by hand? A cheap image editor that came free with a scanner I bought in the 90s could generate drop shadows, but the last time I looked at Pixelmator it still couldn't. I'm curious if people are still giving this app an undue helping of praise.
    You are correct, Pixelmator users have to duplicate shape later > fill black > Gaussian blue > and reduce opacity to achieve a drop shadow effect. You bring up valid criticism. Although the regular Pixelmator does support drop shadows on text. Good news: the Pro edition does support drop shadow with multiple parameters for all assets. 
    http://www.pixelmator.com/pro/styles/
  • Reply 18 of 19
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    nht said:
    I've been using the Pixelmator app for quite a while and feeling a bit guilty.  As long as the user base continues to grow the business model is sustainable...ish.  I'll be buying Pro, mostly just because it's not subscription and it's likely the company will keep it that way.

They probably should have made Vectormator a $10 IAP.  When I remember it's there it's quite handy.
    Is there a vector app in there? Or, is that coming later as a standalone? (The marketing was a bit confusing about that.)
    Also, is it just some vector-tools like standard Pixelmator, or can you actually import a vector file and work on it? (I need that soon and have been trying to decide if I should get Affinity Designer... head towards CC... or hope the Pixelmator team gets there on day soon.)

Also, I get the feeling that Pixelmator Pro is quite ahead of Adobe on using Apple technologies and more modern workflows... but they also have been showing some pretty crazy stuff (actually, kinda scary stuff... if you saw how they can take an audio recording of you, which turns to text, and then you can just edit what it says and it plays flawlessly).
  • Reply 19 of 19
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    dysamoria said:
    Adobe, is that you? Sorry, I promise to keep paying monthly. You got me @dysamoria ;

It was a sincere inquiry. I wanted to know why you went subscription.