Apple's education market share half of Dell's

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
from ars:

This used to be the link, which now no longer works:

<a href="http://www.maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/06.education.php"; target="_blank">www.maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/06.education.php</a>

Apple Computer Inc., the once dominant computer company in the U.S. education market, has seen its education market share slip in recent years. Apple, like many other hardware vendors, have fallen victim to the aggressive practices of Dell Computer Corp. and perceptions of the buying public, according to an IDC analyst

and...

In the same period, Apple's market share fell from 20.2 percent in the first quarter of 2000 to 15.2 percent in the most recent quarter of 2002, reaching a low of 12.4 percent in the fourth quarter of 2001

-------------------------

discuss...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    That's not true. According to this:

[quote]

QED Reports

A Scholastic News press release tells of Quality Education Data's release of its "annual reports on the state of technology in U.S. schools and districts: Technology Purchasing Forecast 2002-2003, 8th edition; and Internet Usage in Teaching 2002, 7th edition." Some interesting points from the press release on the reports:

While spending is not increasing, funding for technology continues to be stable. The biggest unknown is the degree to which increasing federal funds for education (especially No Child Left Behind) will be used for technology purchases. We're already seeing that the federal government's push for greater accountability in education seems to be driving greater investment in systems that offer more robust reporting on student academic progress.

Â*

Computer Brands: Macintosh is the single most common brand of instructional computer in schools today, but Wintel computers (from all makers combined) constitute more than two-thirds of the installed base. Of Wintel computers, Dell Computer is the most common brand with an estimated 18% of the installed base. Dell is also the leading brand in district plans to purchase instructional computers for the 2002-2003 school year, with a 35% share, beating out Apple's Macintosh brand (21%) for the lead.

Quality Education Data, Inc., is a subsidiary of Scholastic.

<hr></blockquote>

Dell outsold Apple recently, but Apple's still got the lead by brand name. Sure that doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot, but let's keep things real.
  • Reply 2 of 6
  • Reply 3 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by gumby5647:

<strong>hey don't look at me....i just copy and paste.

here's the ars thread on it. (long)

<a href="http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=48409524&m=5400984235"; target="_blank">http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=48409524&m=5400984235</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Fair enough Didn't mean to be curt. I'm just tired of FUD, if you know what I mean.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    omg... i've stumbled into the battle front... and you were there mwnh, and you were there tiger, and your little troll too...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I am amazed that Apple still have half of Dell's market share in education.......

i tot based on prices and software compatability, Dell would be miles ahead of Apple.

The educational pricing is great on the part of Apple, but prices of most hardware are still way too expensive, especially for the super price sensitive educational market. Apple still has a big market in education, and it must try to secure its existing customers, and perhapes try to bundle more services to new customers.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    They are miles ahead in per year sales 35 vs 21, That's nearly twice as many. ANd while older macs may give a longer service life, selling less than the competition year over year is a sure fire way of losing the installed lead already. Actually, I'd be more than a little suspicious of any reports that still put Apple as the single most installed computer in higher ed. Mebbe they're still holding on to K-12, but there isn't a major university campus I've seen in the last two years where Macs are anywhere near 1 for every 2 Pc's. The last big (and current) primarily mac installations that I've seen were in a 2 community colleges' design centers, of those, one is still struggling with B&W G3's (so not so current)