Gmail updated to take advantage of iPhone X display, add non-Google email accounts

Posted:
in iPhone
As part of continued efforts to update its stable of iOS apps with support for Apple's iPhone X, Google on Monday released a refreshed version of Gmail with graphical assets that take advantage of the handset's full-face display.

Gmail, currently sitting in the No. 5 spot on the iOS App Store's Top Free Apps list, is now fully compatible with Apple's flagship iPhone.

In particular, the popular email client features a user interface that spans iPhone X's 5.8-inch Super Retina HD display, including dead space at the top for the phone's TrueDepth sensor notch. Compared to its previous incarnation, the elongated GUI affords space for more messages, while keeping important navigation assets in place.

Google retains the floating "create new message" button, stylized as a red button with a pencil icon, at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. The usual search button and hamburger menu also keep their place at the top of the app window.

Prior to today's update, the unoptimized Gmail app showed two black bars above and below the central message feed. The layout was not only unsightly, but made for a suboptimal user experience as controls were condensed toward the center of iPhone X's screen.

In addition to the graphical overhaul, Gmail now allows users to add non-Google email accounts via IMAP. The new feature went into beta testing in October, bringing the app in line with its Android counterpart and Apple's own Mail app.

Gmail for iOS can be downloaded for free</a. from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Cool. Now let’s hope Apple spends some time on Mail. Searching still doesn’t result in matches often, and opening attachments sometimes results in a non-working “close” button, forcing users to close the app and boot it again. Feels like an old, legacy app.
    Aviesheklibertyforall
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Feels like an old, legacy app.
    It is. 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Gmail is still not taking advantage of full screen like other apps in X
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    The updated version is much better than it was 
    AirunJae
  • Reply 5 of 7
    What about Google Hangouts & Voice?!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    And google calendar, it hasn't been updated to take advantage of the iPhone X screen yet.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Not sure why one would use Gmail on an iPhone or even on any of Apple device when we have iCloud services which are far more robust and integrated with iOS and macOS. I never had any issues with the search or even any other issues with Mail. Yes it definitely needs an update but it still works flawlessly for me. The only thing I don't like about Mail is the message headers are like Gmail when replying to any email. Apple should come up with its own style of email headers. I prefer Microsoft Outlook style email headers though.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra