How to use the new Apple TV Amazon Prime Video app with Siri and the TV app

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2020
Amazon has gone with the user interface it prefers when it developed the Prime Video service for the Apple TV. But, using Siri, you can skip most of the interface oddities on the Apple TV.

At launch the Amazon Prime Video app doesn't automatically connect with the TV app. In our trials, the first time you ask a video to play, the device will pop up a dialog box, asking the user to connect to the app.

After approval, users can search Amazon Prime Video offerings, and any other compatible video service through Apple's app. The Amazon Prime Video app is catching a little heat for the user experience -- but it is functional.

Using Siri search, you can bypass Amazon's graphical user interface. In conjunction with the TV app, there is little need to set foot in any company's vision of an ideal interface.

Something like "Star Trek" is available across many series, and many more services. At any point, in any app, you can hold down the Siri button -- the microphone -- and search simply for "Star Trek" or for something more specific like "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine."

The TV app will display a list of matches, and it's up to you to flick your way through to pick what you want. When you settle on a particular "Star Trek" generation, be it prequel, next, or original, the Apple TV will display a list of apps you can watch the content through.

There are some limitations of Siri search through the TV app, though. Content stored on a shared computer with Home Sharing isn't rifled through. Additionally, while iTunes content can be searched, there is no filter for purchased or content that is merely available.

Siri also has the ability do searches like "find new movies in 4K" or refine existing searches by actor, time period, quality, genre, or more.

And, don't forget, that Siri still allows you to say "What did he say" or "What did she say" to rewind the video about 10 seconds, and turn on subtitles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member

Content stored on a shared computer with Home Sharing isn't rifled through. 
    The ability to also search local network content together with streamed services would be a killer app function.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    I find it annoying that the tvOS app doesn't sync your view-history the with the iOS app. Ex: I'm mid-way on a season via the iPad app, but this new app doesn't seem aware of that and wants to begin w/ ep 1. I'll have to open the iPad version to see where I left off.

Also, requiring remote-clicks to navigate the menu/screens is a bit at odds with how the other tvOS apps work, where you can simply swipe to the next menu header item and the screen switches instantly.

They'll figure it out tho in time, I'm sure. They're just two years late to the party and behind where they would have been had they released much earlier and polished over time.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member
    I find it annoying that the tvOS app doesn't sync your view-history the with the iOS app. Ex: I'm mid-way on a season via the iPad app, but this new app doesn't seem aware of that and wants to begin w/ ep 1. I'll have to open the iPad version to see where I left off.
    It does for me. Are the apps connected to TV.app on all your devices? Both my Apple TVs (4th gen and 4k) and iPhone show the same "Up Next"
  • Reply 4 of 10

Also, requiring remote-clicks to navigate the menu/screens is a bit at odds with how the other tvOS apps work, where you can simply swipe to the next menu header item and the screen switches instantly.

They'll figure it out tho in time, I'm sure. They're just two years late to the party and behind where they would have been had they released much earlier and polished over time.
    Not sure what there is for them to figure out.  Their Apple TV app is just using the same garbage interface that Amazon uses on every device and platform.  There are so many idiotic things about Prime video on every platform.  They have completely separate listings for 4K content that aren't even linked, bonus features with movies are their own separate listings, and they treat different seasons of the same show as if they are completely different shows.
    firelock
  • Reply 5 of 10
    iSRS said:
    It does for me. Are the apps connected to TV.app on all your devices? Both my Apple TVs (4th gen and 4k) and iPhone show the same "Up Next"
    I’m not referring to the TV app queuing. Just regular episode tracking between the Prime Video app i’ve been using the past year on my ipad and when inside the new tvOS app. For whatever reason the visual indicators of what I’ve watched on my ipad isn’t showing in the new tvOS app. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    entropys said:

Content stored on a shared computer with Home Sharing isn't rifled through. 
    The ability to also search local network content together with streamed services would be a killer app function.
    I would like to see being able to do a Siri Search and look though the services I have, along with looking through my PLEX content.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    John Gruber has linked to a few interesting comments on Twitter. 

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/938579246015971329

This chap has had a look inside the app and discovered a dog’s breakfast of cross-platform multi-language (JavaScript, Lua) mouldy spaghetti that no developer would ever want to put their name to. It seems that all the configurations for every device Amazon runs on is lumped in there in one huge cancerous bundle. 

Amazed it works at all really. 

edited December 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Tried Prime Video on Apple TV last night to watch a movie. The user experience seems comparable to Netflix. Quality of the content seems comparable to Netflix. I'm not offended either way and the movie was just okay, nothing spectacular, just like Netflix.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Dewme, really? That's what makes a ballgame I guess. I give Netflix a try about once every year. Never found it offering the range of movie choices close to my taste...compared to Amazon. I know it's an ongoing topic from days of Pandora through to more statistics-based systems.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Finally, I will try it out!