Macbook Pro not allowing user login until Admin account "logs in"

Posted:
in Genius Bar
A weird situation that I cannot find a solid explanation for:

We usually don't shut down our computers, but when my wife restarted hers, she could not log into her regular account. Once I got the admin password and logged into the admin account, it ran a status bar until complete, then returned to the login screen. At that point, all user accounts were able to log in.

Does this have to do with some sort of security update that needs the admin account to apply it? I can't seem to find confirmation of what is happening. Sierra, 2015 MBP.

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,138moderator
    mrboba1 said:
    A weird situation that I cannot find a solid explanation for:

We usually don't shut down our computers, but when my wife restarted hers, she could not log into her regular account. Once I got the admin password and logged into the admin account, it ran a status bar until complete, then returned to the login screen. At that point, all user accounts were able to log in.

Does this have to do with some sort of security update that needs the admin account to apply it? I can't seem to find confirmation of what is happening. Sierra, 2015 MBP.

TIA
    Are they perhaps not allowed to unlock the Filevault encryption, System Prefs > Security & Privacy > Filevault, click enable users:

https://www.uvm.edu/it/security/encryption/fv2/?Page=adduser.html