Apple puts 4K Aerial screen saver of Los Angeles skyline into rotation on Apple TV 4K

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2019
Apple recently updated its list of Aerial screen savers for Apple TV 4K with ultra high-resolution snippets ported over from the fourth-generation model, as well as all-new footage of Los Angeles at night.

As seen in the screenshot above, Apple's latest Apple TV 4K screen savers include nighttime drone footage of LA.

The clip is the first new screen saver to hit Apple TV 4K since the device debuted in September.

Notably, the latest Aerial screen saver, which can be downloaded here in 2K, is encoded as an HEVC file. Apple first adopted H.265, or High Efficiency Video Coding, in iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, allowing devices like iPhone to better handle high-resolution 4K video.

Along with the night view of LA, Apple TV 4K's screen saver selection now includes 14 4K clips captured in the skies above Dubai, Greenland, Hong Kong, Los Angeles and Liwa in the United Arab Emirates. Save for the new LA clip, all footage is identical to 1080p counterparts first seen on the fourth-generation Apple TV. As usual, users can set the frequency at which new Aerial screen savers are downloaded, and subsequently displayed, in the Settings app.

Apple introduced Aerial screen savers alongside the fourth-generation Apple TV with Siri Remote in 2015. The company last updated the feature nearly one year ago, when 21 short drone clips went into rotation last December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    qvt1qvt1 Posts: 1member
    Why couldn't they wait for the Wilshire Grand Center (the tallest building in the middle of downtown that is under construction in the clip) to be finished before taking the video? LOL  It looks gorgeous now with colorful lights
    It looks ugly in the video cause the building was under construction.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I did a double take when I walked in the room as it was part way through this, I thought GTA V as on the TV, I'd never truly realized how accurate Los Santos was before.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Ariel is my favorite screensaver. I have it running in Kodi and on my MacMini. I really enjoy watching all the different places they have. Dubai at night, London at night and Great Wall of China are some of my favorites. They're so relaxing to watch.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Are we sure this was a drone and not a helicopter?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    MacPro said:
    I did a double take when I walked in the room as it was part way through this, I thought GTA V as on the TV, I'd never truly realized how accurate Los Santos was before.
    It's pretty amazing how accurate GTA V is. I can pretty much name off every place in the game. I was surprised the game has lesser known places out in the desert east of LA. It's going to be interesting to see where the next game takes place. Unfortunately we will probably be waiting years before the next release. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Are we sure this was a drone and not a helicopter?
    Apple is using both to film the screen savers. The helicopter shots are using a red dragon camera. LA screen saver was filmed from a helicopter. 
    edited December 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I've got the Aerial screensaver on all my Macs. I love watching the detail. There also quite relaxing. I'll have to check to see that these new ones get added into the rotation.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    Is there any such thing as an Info button or similar so I can get details of where the various screensavers are from and maybe some technical info abut how/what they were filmed on etc? Would really like to know where some of these actually come from...
    edited December 2017 doozydozen