weMessage promises to bring iMessage to Android, uses Mac as server

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2017
A new Android app called weMessage brings unofficial support for Apple's iMessages to devices running Google's operating system, but users need a Mac to complete the ad hoc setup.

According to the app's website, weMessage delivers full iMessage support to Android handsets "without reverse engineering or exploits," a feat many developers have attempted to reproduce over the years to varying levels of success.

To work, weMessage creates an unofficial Messages server on Mac using a macOS app called weServer. The app is not currently available for download on the Mac App Store, meaning Mac owners need to modify Security & Privacy settings to bypass Apple's app installation safeguards.

As explained by the app's developer, 16-year-old Roman Scott, iMessages need to be sent through an Apple device to enable authentication, thus ensuring delivery. Essentially, weMessage is a relay server that present a workaround for Apple's closed iMessage platform.

Scott goes into more detail on how, exactly, weMessage works in an FAQ.

"weMessage works by using Apple's developer tools that hook into the Messages app, as well as by turning on Accessibility features that will perform the message sending," Scott writes. "There was zero reverse engineering involved in the creation of this app, so all messages being sent are legitimate."

Scott believes the solution is "fair," as users need an Apple device to take advantage of weMessage.

In addition to sending and receiving iMessages, weMessage supports group chats, attachments, read receipts, AES encryption and more. The accompanying weServer software offers support for multiple devices, message queuing, notifications, message logging, commands and customization options.

Apps like weMessage are almost universally disabled by Apple, either through software updates or legal threats.

Though Apple has yet to open its first-party chat platform, the company was once rumored to debut an iMessage app for Android. Later rumblings claimed Apple went so far as to create mockups of various iMessage clients for Android, one of which implemented Google's Material Design.

Apple has in the past brought certain services to its mobile OS rival, the most prominent being Apple Music for Android in 2015. However, the company is loath to port services that add intrinsic value to its own ecosystem.

Messages on iOS is quickly becoming a platform for unique first-party features like the iMessage App Store and Apple Pay. Most recently, Apple last week launched Apple Pay Cash, its peer-to-peer payments service, to users running iOS 11.2. The feature allows iPhone and iPad owners to send money to family and friends via iMessage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Well... I know two people that would work for. I guess that’s something.
    magman1979racerhomie
  • Reply 2 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I can see Apple shutting this down fairly quickly. Its nice the kid has a project and is obviously pretty smart, but he may have built himself a lawsuit in the end. If you're that concerned with using Messages, just get an iPhone and be done with it. I'm thinking Apple is using this as a selling point for their products. I would also think this solution is insecure as well. How do I know he's not somehow snooping at the messages passing through this Mac server he setup?
    magman1979macseekerronnchiaracerhomiecornchip
  • Reply 3 of 19
     Cease-and-desist letter in 3. 2. 1.
    magman1979macseekervukasikawatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Useful to all the dumbasses who own a Mac but not an iPhone...
    magman1979macseekerjony0racerhomieStrangeDayswatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 5 of 19
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I don't know. To all my Android friends, there is WhatsApp or Line, two popular iMessage alternative which can be easily downloaded and used within minute. I just wished they support Animoji, but well.
    ronn
  • Reply 6 of 19
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    I can see how an app could transmit a message to a Mac app and then the Mac would “forward” it as an iMessage, but I can’t see how the messages app on the Mac could forward the imessage, unless it literally forwards it as a text or something.  

Seems legit to me.   Don’t really care.  iMessages and iCloud sync between devices is awesome.  
    randominternetpersonchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I'm impressed that the developer is a 16-year-old kid.  He's going places for sure with his coding skills.  That being said, he probably hasn't heard of the phrase "a solution looking for a problem" because this is exactly what it is.
    lordjohnwhorfinmuthuk_vanalingammacpluspluswatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I wish I had those skills when I was 16.  I think I was doing VERY basic BASIC programs on an Apple IIe at that age.
    lordjohnwhorfinmuthuk_vanalingammike54watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Looks like the weMessage app does on Android exactly what iMessage does on iPhone: integrate text messages seamlessly with a proprietary, data-based messaging system, except that weMessage uses its own private channel to a Mac proxy. That is a very resourceful solution, I can't believe a 16 year old came up with that and implemented the whole thing. Very impressive. Whether there is much of a market out there for such a solution remains to be seen, but good luck to him. I'm sure he has a very bright future ahead of him.
    muthuk_vanalingammike54watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I wish I had those skills when I was 16.  I think I was doing VERY basic BASIC programs on an Apple IIe at that age.
    The tools and learning resources you had then were nothing compared to what the kids have now. And these days, the kids rarely go outside. 

Still, he’s obviously very bright and I’m sure he’ll go far, but nothing goes on my Mac without a developer certificate. 
    edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayswatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Why would android users would want iMessages app on their phone? 
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 12 of 19
    kevin kee said:
    I don't know. To all my Android friends, there is WhatsApp or Line, two popular iMessage alternative which can be easily downloaded and used within minute. I just wished they support Animoji, but well.
    Try sending a photo in iMessage and then send the same photo in WhatsApp. WhatsApp greatly reduces the file size, whereas iMessage will send it at full resolution. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    This kid is clearly trying to get hired 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    crosslad said:
    kevin kee said:
    Try sending a photo in iMessage and then send the same photo in WhatsApp. WhatsApp greatly reduces the file size, whereas iMessage will send it at full resolution. 
    For an instant messaging app, this behaviour is absolutely correct and saves a lot of headaches on time and bandwidth. Even with the auto reduction in size I still get people asking not to be sent images.

That said, if you really want to send full res photos via WhatsApp, you can.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

I wish we had the free tools we do now! I was 14 when I taught myself 6502 assembly on our Apple IIe (the BASIC interpreter was way too slow for what I was doing). All that system had was a mini-assembler that converted each line of assembly code into machine code as you typed it. Plus, I had to get a book that detailed everything in memory... address space for: display buffer, graphics buffer, user area, all system calls, etc.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

crosslad said:
    kevin kee said:

Try turning on “Low Quality Image Mode” in Messages settings.
    RacerhomieXcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    avon b7 said:
    crosslad said:
    kevin kee said:
    For an instant messaging app, this behaviour is absolutely correct and saves a lot of headaches on time and bandwidth. Even with the auto reduction in size I still get people asking not to be sent images.

Where is the setting in WhatsApp to send full size photos? I have been looking but cannot find it. I agree you should be able to send the photo at lower resolution if you wish but when I share a photo I generally want it to be at full resolution. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crosslad said:
    avon b7 said:
    crosslad said:
    kevin kee said:

Where is the setting in WhatsApp to send full size photos? I have been looking but cannot find it. I agree you should be able to send the photo at lower resolution if you wish but when I share a photo I generally want it to be at full resolution. 
    I's not in WhatsApp itself
    https://www.techuntold.com/impressive-way-to-set-full-size-profile-picture-in-whatsapp/

You could also send it as a .Doc file
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 19 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    crosslad said:
    avon b7 said:
    crosslad said:
    kevin kee said:

Similar to what Gatorguy has mentioned.

In WhatsApp, hit the paperclip icon for an attachment. Choose 'Documents' and you will get a list of documents to send. At the top of that list it should say something like 'show other documents'. If you choose that, you can then navigate through your albums and select the photo you want. 

I'm not sure if Gatorguy was selecting just from the 'documents' list or choosing 'show other documents' (which is the important bit here).

Remember, I'm using WhatsApp on Android and translating from Spanish. If you run into trouble, just let me know and I will check it on WhatsApp on iOS when I get home later.
    edited December 2017