Long-running AOL Instant Messenger shuts down for good

Posted:
in General Discussion
As promised, Verizon's Oath on Friday shut down AOL Instant Messenger, once as omnipresent on the internet as services like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger are today.

The closing was announced in early October, without any plans for a replacement or transition. In fact AOL had already removed third-party support in March, cutting off many access points.

AIM first launched for Windows in 1997 and soon became commonplace, helping to codify many aspects of online messaging and how people speak online, including terms like "a/s/l" and "lol." The service eventually migrated to other platforms and various third-party apps, among them Apple's, making it a useful means for Mac and Windows users to talk to each other.

The service's decline can likely be traced to that of AOL itself, as well as the proliferation of smartphones and other online chat alternatives. Chat is now built into Web services such as Gmail and Facebook, and users of Apple and Google devices have access to their own integrated options. Some apps -- like Slack or Apple's Messages -- even have their own mini-apps extending features.

Apple only pulled AIM support from the macOS Messages app when it released High Sierra in September, presumably because removing it was a low priority. By the beginning of 2017, the number of active AIM users had already dwindled to a fraction of its peak.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I remember the AOL/TimeWarner merger.  There was a magazine cover with the new AOL/TimeWarner monster closing in on a terrified looking Bill Gates in the crosshairs.

Didn’t quite work out what way.  And even then many thought the merger was a terrible mistake.  C’est la vie.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Who cares? Not me...move on already.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 3 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    How cares? Not me...move on already.
    How cares? Just because you didn't use it, doesn't mean others didn't. 

I haven't used it in a while, but I did meet a lot of people on there, especially in some of the Mac chatrooms. It was good times. Its a shame things like this aren't more popular. People are too caught up in Twitter and FaceBook now days. 
    zroger73boltsfan17jSnivelygilly33
  • Reply 4 of 43
    RIP, AIM. Many of my most significant life events were communicated through you for many years.

I can't help but wonder if two decades of chat logs still exist on a server down in a basement somewhere.
    fastasleepjSnivelypeterhartviclauyyc
  • Reply 6 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:

I haven't used it in a while, but I did meet a lot of people on there, especially in some of the Mac chatrooms. It was good times. Its a shame things like this aren't more popular. People are too caught up in Twitter and FaceBook now days. 
    You're going back to the original AOL with the chatrooms, right? I met people there. Back then you could change your chat username as you wished, so long as it wasn't the same as another user. I noticed that their font for a lower-case 'L' and upper-case 'i' looked the same so, well, you can imagine various things you can do with that.

I remember not knowing the difference between AOL, the internet and a web browser. Netscape took me all night to download over a dialup modem and would get disconnected because I had call waiting enabled on my line. I also remember that after the first month my father had a $400 phone bill—not the $3/hour for AOL's service—from the 25¢ phone call connection charge since I choose a number that was the correct area code but far enough away that the phone company charged a connection fee. Oops.
    zroger73pscooter63gilly33GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 43
    garyg_69garyg_69 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    20 years is the usual length of time for any tech before it becomes obsolete. WhatsApp and other are having there time just now, but in another 10 or 15 years something else will have taken over. Gary.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    I was still using it until it shut down. Sure there are plenty of alternates these days, but as a communications protocol with integration in basically every piece of software it was hard to beat the ubiquity and convenience. It will be missed.
    zroger73gilly33GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 43
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    I used it. A family member is pissed because he says it means Apple is now extorting more money from him. His iMac "works fine" but since it is so old it doesn't support messages, and there is no real alternative to iChat/AIM, this is "more evidence that Apple just wants to steal from all of us by making things that don't last." And by last, he means "more than a few years."

Fairly, I a bit surprised someone didn't buy AIM from AOL. There is certainly a market. 

dacharrandominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 43
    A lot of people do. It was a huge part of many peoples’ lives. Why are you commenting on this, much less reading about it?
  • Reply 11 of 43
    eightzero said:
    I used it. A family member is pissed because he says it means Apple is now extorting more money from him. His iMac "works fine" but since it is so old it doesn't support messages, and there is no real alternative to iChat/AIM, this is "more evidence that Apple just wants to steal from all of us by making things that don't last." And by last, he means "more than a few years."

Fairly, I a bit surprised someone didn't buy AIM from AOL. There is certainly a market. 

Haha...if that iMac is old enough to not support Messages then I think they got their moneys worth out of it. But I know how that goes. :smile: 

Soli said: macxpress said: racoleman29 said: How cares? Not me...move on already. How cares? Just because you didn't use it, doesn't mean others didn't. 

I haven't used it in a while, but I did meet a lot of people on there, especially in some of the Mac chatrooms. It was good times. Its a shame things like this aren't more popular. People are too caught up in Twitter and FaceBook now days.  You're going back to the original AOL with the chatrooms, right? I met people there. Back then you could change your chat username as you wished, so long as it wasn't the same as another user. I noticed that their font for a lower-case 'L' and upper-case 'i' looked the same so, well, you can imagine various things you can do with that.

I remember not knowing the difference between AOL, the internet and a web browser. Netscape took me all night to download over a dialup modem and would get disconnected because I had call waiting enabled on my line. I also remember that after the first month my father had a $400 phone bill—not the $3/hour for AOL's service—from the 25¢ phone call connection charge since I choose a number that was the correct area code but far enough away that the phone company charged a connection fee. Oops. Yes the chatrooms. Inside iChat (as it was call in Mac OS X) you could I think click on File and Join Chatroom. I rarely ever use the AOL/AIM client for Mac...almost always the one built into Mac OS X. I met a lot of people on there and used to chat with folks a lot. I never really met anyone, but it was fun to chat with people interested in the same things you were (Apple stuff). I think if you had an AOL subscription you could take control/ownership of the room and kick people if I remember correctly. It was one of the perks of having an AOL subscription. 

I also remember the days of very slow downloads on dialup (I used a local ISP), and yes my mom always had call waiting so it would constantly disconnect my internet whenever someone called. I think there was something you could dial first, like *80 or something and then the number for the dialup modem and it would disable call waiting. Something like that. LOL on the $400 phone bill!!! I bet your ass was red that day. :smiley: 
    Soli
  • Reply 12 of 43
    eightzero said:

This is the second post I’ve seen about your delusional family member and their bizarre view that Apple has anything to do with AIM, with a loose assertion that there’s something to that claim. There isn’t. 

And why do you think there’s a market for a product that dropped to near zero usage in a sector that’s been completely taken over by multiple other players?

so confused. 
  • Reply 13 of 43
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    eightzero said:

There are plenty of alternatives like Skype or Google Talk. Look at the Adium client, it supports pretty much all the remaining chat services there are.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    eightzero said:

This is the second post I’ve seen about your delusional family member and their bizarre view that Apple has anything to do with AIM, with a loose assertion that there’s something to that claim. There isn’t. 

And why do you think there’s a market for a product that dropped to near zero usage in a sector that’s been completely taken over by multiple other players?

so confused. 
    Im not convinced there is a zero usage.

But I hear ya on the delusional. Lots of people like that in the world. The claim is "I paid for something, and now, through no fault of my own, it doesn't work because someone decided they couldn't make more money off me." That has a grain of truth in it. A grain.
  • Reply 15 of 43

payeco said:
    eightzero said:

There are plenty of alternatives like Skype or Google Talk. Look at the Adium client, it supports pretty much all the remaining chat services there are.
    Google Talk might work. But just to shut my family member up, I'm taking him a refurbished iMac that supports messages. It is completely worth it to stop the bitching.
    gilly33
  • Reply 16 of 43
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    eightzero said:

payeco said:
    eightzero said:

Google Talk might work. But just to shut my family member up, I'm taking him a refurbished iMac that supports messages. It is completely worth it to stop the bitching.
    I don’t understand how this person can’t comprehend that Apple has nothing to do with this?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    payeco said:
    eightzero said:

payeco said:
    eightzero said:

I don’t understand how this person can’t comprehend that Apple has nothing to do with this?
    Because they most likely don't understand how technology works and they might have been using iChat which is an Apple app which will no longer work. Therefore, its Apple's fault because they can't install Messages, and/or a newer version of Mac OS X (macOS) that supports Messages on this particular Mac. Its the same people who think when they pay for something, it should last forever and be supported forever which we all know how it actually works. 
    lowededwookie
  • Reply 18 of 43
    I worked at AOL when AIM started up. I knew the guy that wrote the server side. He was a absolutely brilliant programmer. Back in the day, AOL never kept any conversation logs of AIM, at all. This was so they wouldn't have to go search through them when subpoenaed. They were also really anal retentive about member privacy. There was all sorts of information available from the client software, had to be for the dialup connections and billing to work, and none of that info was available to marketing. It seems very quaint when you think about FB and Google.
    tallest skilzroger73jSnivelyrandominternetpersonfastasleepGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:

You're going back to the original AOL with the chatrooms, right? I met people there. Back then you could change your chat username as you wished, so long as it wasn't the same as another user. I noticed that their font for a lower-case 'L' and upper-case 'i' looked the same so, well, you can imagine various things you can do with that.

I remember not knowing the difference between AOL, the internet and a web browser. Netscape took me all night to download over a dialup modem and would get disconnected because I had call waiting enabled on my line. I also remember that after the first month my father had a $400 phone bill—not the $3/hour for AOL's service—from the 25¢ phone call connection charge since I choose a number that was the correct area code but far enough away that the phone company charged a connection fee. Oops.
    Funny I did the same thing and my parents were pretty pissed. I didn't realize free local calls were essentially like a 20 mile radius from where you live. The number I chose was apparently too far away to be considered local. 
    Soli
  • Reply 20 of 43
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I used AIM since then (in college) and then at my jobs until a couple years ago when we migrated to a sh ittier IM tool/client.