Apple's first Korean store expected to open on Dec. 30

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's first-ever outlet in South Korea is reportedly scheduled to open on Saturday, Dec. 30, deepening a footprint in the home of key rivals -- and suppliers -- like Samsung and LG.

Major interior decorations are finished at the store, located in Seoul's trendy Gangnam district, according to a construction company quoted by ETNews. Apple allegedly wanted to wrap up the project by Nov. 30, which would've given it a chance to catch Christmas sales.

Even with the delay, crews are said to be working nights and weekends to meet Apple's goal. Staff have already been hired and trained.

Apple confirmed plans for a Seoul store in January, but said little else at the time. The shop is thought to measure some 13,960 square feet, spanning ground and basement levels.

Retail shops could serve as a Korean beachhead for the iPhone. While the product isn't unpopular, domestic phones enjoy an upper hand in the country, much as the iPhone is extremely popular in the U.S.

In November Apple's South Korean offices were raided by investigators, who were likely looking into allegations of unfair contracts between Apple and South Korean businesses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ¡  Gangnam Style  ! 

¡   Fighting   !

I wonder what the free shirts on opening day will look like. 
    edited December 2017 edred
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Obligatory moan about lack of an Apple Retail Store in Ireland.....😒....ok, I feel better now. 

I hope the poeple of Seoul enjoy their first taste of Apple retail excellence! Almost 500 Stores now, I believe?
    prismaticsRobPalmer9
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I've walked by where Apple is building their store many times. It's a great location. Funny its just right down the street from Samsung headquarters. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Obligatory moan about lack of an Apple Retail Store in Ireland.....😒....ok, I feel better now. 
    Population of Ireland: 4.8 million
    Population of South Korea: 51 million

I sympathize with you but like many other smaller countries without an Apple Store there are usually several Apple Authorized resellers. Quick Google search turned up 17 in Ireland.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Featured by Samsung PR as their newest and most loyal "OLED refiler" outlet...
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    volcan said:
    Population of Ireland: 4.8 million
    Population of South Korea: 51 million

I sympathize with you but like many other smaller countries without an Apple Store there are usually several Apple Authorized resellers. Quick Google search turned up 17 in Ireland.
    That’s not the reason. And population in general isn’t the reason. Northern Ireland has one. Tax is the reason. Apparently an Apple store in the Republic of Ireland would open up Apple to more tax liabilities. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    As I’m visiting Seoul this week, I went to the location of the new Apple Store this morning - two hours before the rumored 10am opening time. There were plenty of construction workers on site, but it was clear that the store is NOT OPENING TODAY. This was also confirmed by one of the workers, who said he did not know when the store would open. I had been to the site couple of times earlier this week, and today they were removing the blue wall/fence that has been there before, but from the partially open doorway one could see that things inside are not yet ready for launch.