Apple buys original space drama TV series from 'Battlestar Galactica' creator

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2017
Ronald D. Moore, the brain behind the critically acclaimed remake of "Battlestar Galactica," will pen a new space drama for Apple, as the company continues its push into original TV content to compete with the likes of Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.

The untitled show is created and written by Moore, and imagines a world in which the space race never ended, according to Deadline. It boasts "Fargo" producers Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi, and comes from Sony Pictures Television and Tall Ship Productions.

The win for Apple comes thanks to their hiring of former Sony Pictures Television executives Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg, who joined the company back in June. Erlicht and Van Amburg were responsible for programming like "Breaking Bad" and "The Goldbergs," but also had a previous relationship with Moore, working with him on shows like Starz's "Outlander and Amazon's upcoming "Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams."

Apple is allegedly planning to spend beyond a previously-reported $1 billion budget on original video, and Erlicht and Van Amburg are said to be tasked with securing "around a dozen" original TV shows.

The new show from Moore marks the third in production at Apple. The first is a reboot of Steven Spielberg's "Amazing Stories" anthology, while the second is a morning show drama starring Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon.

Apple Worldwide Video is based in the company's Culver City office located near Sony Pictures and the La Cienega Expo facility that Apple is rumored to be leasing for video production. Culver City is south of Hollywood, between Santa Monica and downtown Los Angeles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    I might watch this one.
    jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Roy Moore is not the original creator, that was Glen Larson in the 70's. If you like good endings you're going to hat Roy Moore. Other than that seems like a good acquisition for Apple's entertainment aspirations. I'll watch it. 
    canadiandudeSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I hate Roy Moore but I do like Ronald D. Moore's work very much ;-)
    minicoffeejahblade
  • Reply 4 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So say we all. 
    Rayz2016randominternetpersonStrangeDaysslprescottrwes
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Roy Moore is not the original creator, that was Glen Larson in the 70's. If you like good endings you're going to hat Roy Moore. Other than that seems like a good acquisition for Apple's entertainment aspirations. I'll watch it. 
    Well then, it's a good thing my story specifically says in the first paragraph that Ronald D. Moore created the remake of "Battlestar Galactica." As for Roy Moore, well, no comment.
    minicoffeespliff monkeyjahbladeroundaboutnowlongpathlorin schultzGeorgeBMacmacguibb-15
  • Reply 6 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I grew up with the original series in the 70's but the modern "Battlestar Galactica" series were some of the best examples of TV shows that I've ever seen.  If Apple gets something of that caliber going again, I'll be the first to watch it.
    schwabsaucecaladanianbb-15
  • Reply 7 of 28
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    If they are looking for a classic space story to fill some time slots, then they can't go wrong in buying the rights to Blake's 7 and giving it a billion dollar makeover.

The Liberator was the best looking starship ever to grace the small screen.

• Reply 8 of 28
    Roy is the man who caused me to learn that the word "ephebophile" exists. Ron is the creator of the remake of BSG (just as the article says).

Re: good endings, the decline of the final half-season was due to three things: [1] the writer's strike, which derailed production and led to [2] the loss of Callum Keith Rennie (and thus his character Leoben), completely screwing over the storyline for Starbuck, and [3] the lack of an overall plan for the finale. As I understand it, the writers (including Moore, and always under his direction) basically made the story up as they went along. Only one of these [#3] was within Moore's control, and we can only hope he learned from that experience.

There is evidence that he did, and not just Outlander. Caprica was cancelled during production of the second half of its first (and only) season, but it was well-organized and had an overall plan -- as seen in the "shape of things to come" overview the producers aired at the end, to give the audience some closure. That cancellation isn't quite on par with that of Firefly in terms of cosmic injustice, but in my mind it is close. Caprica was unique, and could have grown into something quite beautiful.

Sounds like this is going to be an alternate-history future series -- the history of NASA and the Soviet space program is rich soil for that.
    edited December 2017 schwabsauceslprescottminicoffeebb-15
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Original? Glen Larson created the original in 1978. Moore didn’t create anything original. Money has driven creativity out of entertainment. Everything is copycat, Part XXIV, or based on a comic book. No one has a new idea anymore. Too risky. 
    edited December 2017 SpamSandwichwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 28
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Original or not, the remake of Battlestar Galactica was about a million times better than anything else Apple has produced so far. I'm cautiously optimistic.
    bb-15
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    If they are looking for a classic space story to fill some time slots, then they can't go wrong in buying the rights to Blake's 7 and giving it a billion dollar makeover.

Paul Darrow fan then. 

I think Sky was talking about rebooting it. 
  • Reply 12 of 28
    nhughes said:
    Well then, it's a good thing my story specifically says in the first paragraph that Ronald D. Moore created the remake of "Battlestar Galactica." As for Roy Moore, well, no comment.
    Lol Roy Moore on the brain. I won’t comment either...
  • Reply 13 of 28
    I'm pretty sure Roy Moore likes happy endings. At least that's what all the teenage girls in Alabama say.
    lordjohnwhorfinOfer
  • Reply 14 of 28
    dws-2 said:
    Original or not, the remake of Battlestar Galactica was about a million times better than anything else Apple has produced so far. I'm cautiously optimistic.
    I know the original series was cheesy, but I just couldn't get into the remake. Watched one episode and that was it.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Paul Darrow fan then. 

Yep. Darrow nailed Avon's character so well that its difficult to imagine who could be cast as him. The Blake, Avon, Vila triangle would make great viewing, adapted today's tastes and an adult audience. 
  • Reply 16 of 28
    I hope whatever they make it’s not restricted to PG & PG-13 contents. 
    edited December 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 28
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    jungmark said:
    So say we all. 
    So say we all. 
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Paul Darrow fan then. 

Yep. Darrow nailed Avon's character so well that its difficult to imagine who could be cast as him. The Blake, Avon, Vila triangle would make great viewing, adapted today's tastes and an adult audience. 
    I have the complete series on DVD. Best thing on telly when I was a kid. Tried to watch it again and only made it to episode three before I was bored rigid. It hasn’t aged well. But then I’d probably think the same if I watched the original Galactica, and the new series was brilliant. So maybe an update would work. 

• Reply 19 of 28
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Paul Darrow fan then. 

I have the complete series on DVD. Best thing on telly when I was a kid. Tried to watch it again and only made it to episode three before I was bored rigid. It hasn’t aged well. But then I’d probably think the same if I watched the original Galactica, and the new series was brilliant. So maybe an update would work. 

Definitely. We have to factor in a different perspective. When we were kids we could pick up a piece of wood and imagine it was a gun and play war games for hours with friends without getting bored. I remember telling my mum I would be making things with Lego and Mecano when I was fifty. We made great use of our imaginations and although we lacked resources, the results were fun.

Blake's 7 was an incredibly low budget series and some of the acting and dialogues were cheesy by today's adult standards but it was a kid's programme mainly that was actually quite broad in intellectual scope for the audience it was aimed at. Far more than Star Trek. It was never going to age well but that's why remakes work if the story and characters have appeal. 

Its magic was in appealing to what we were imagining in those days. It hit the sweet spot just like Star Wars did the first time a kid saw it. 

It's a story we see over and over again and never tires if its done right. Films like The Magnificent Seven, Star Wars and series like Blake's Seven, Battlestar Galactica and (to a lesser degree) the A-Team all had the same raw attraction. That appeal is timeless if you get the casting right.

I thought I was the only kid traumatised by the film Trilogy of Terror which I didn't even realise was shot in colour (I watched it secretly in my bedroom on an old black and white TV).

After reading hundreds of reviews on Amazon, I realised half of America had also been marked by that stupid African wooden doll with knashing teeth, LOL.

It hasn't aged well at all but its impact at the time seemed universal.

So, if any Apple execs are reading this :-), and looking for ideas for content, zip over to blighty and snap up the rights to B7 and bring us a rip roaring, 21st Century remake, tuned to the times. No expense spared on sets and stage props. I'd even accept Zen being renamed to Mac.

edited December 2017 Rayz2016
  • Reply 20 of 28
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Looking for original material in the SF genre, give Honor Harrington from David Weber the GCI treatment for the screen. Several projects were proposed by the now apparently defunct Evergreen Studios.