Apple to hold annual shareholders meeting at Steve Jobs Theater in February

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited December 2017
Apple updated its investor website on Monday to announce details about the company's upcoming shareholders meeting, which is scheduled to take place at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater in February.

While Apple has yet to file a proxy statement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the company has decided on Feb. 13 as an official date for the yearly gathering.

Apple normally announces scheduling for the annual shareholders meeting in January through a compulsory SEC filing, but the location of next year's conference necessitates early warning. The company anticipates more shareholders would like to attend the meeting than there are seats available at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino. As such, shareholders are asked to register in advance.

The record date for the gathering is Dec. 15, 2017, meaning stock holders who held positions as of that date are welcome to attend and cast their vote on proxy proposals.

Once Apple files its proxy statement, shareholders will receive proxy materials from the entity that holds their Apple shares, whether it be a bank, broker or other organization. Included in the document will be a unique control number shareholders must use to register for the meeting. Those interested in attending need to enter their control number at proxyvote.com at 8 a.m. Pacific on Jan. 22, 2018. Registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, the company said.

Likely among the topics up for vote are the approval of Apple's Board of Directors, executive compensation plans, choice of accounting firm and shareholder proposals.

Letters sent to the SEC in November show Apple is pushing back against at least four shareholder proposals including the creation of a human rights committee and a measure that would require the company to report on its ability to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Apple in its letters requests the proposals be stricken from the proxy as they involve topics considered "ordinary business."

Apple in October sought to block a separate proposal that would link the company's diversity efforts to CEO performance.

For the past three years, a group of shareholders has attempted to persuade Apple to provide some form accountability for what it believes is an apparent lack of diversity within upper management and executive positions. A nearly identical proposal failed last year, while a similar measure managed to secure less than 6 percent of the vote in March, meaning Apple has the right to block its inclusion in future proxy votes for three years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    OMG They is gonna announce PowerBook G5¡ HUGE¡ ...
    tallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 8
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Obviously Apple will have a great quarter because of higher ASP due to the iPhone X.    I'll be also looking at number of phones sold to make sure that media hype about the $1,000 iPHone X didn't scare away people from the iPhone 8, iPhone 7, iPhone 6S.  Need to keep growing that base.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Hmm... I’d love to see that theater. Maybe I’ll attempt to register to attend this time. ;)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is funny how Apple, a firm that takes pride in its liberal image, has to fight off all of these proposals from liberal do gooders.    It isnt like Apple has hidden some if its green efforts either.   Think about it how many other companies have been so forward about their waste of money on solar power?   Yet we still get silly demands for even more details.  
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wizard69 said:
    It is funny how Apple, a firm that takes pride in its liberal image, has to fight off all of these proposals from liberal do gooders.    It isnt like Apple has hidden some if its green efforts either.   Think about it how many other companies have been so forward about their waste of money on solar power?   Yet we still get silly demands for even more details.  
    My favorite story about this angle was when some enviro-radicals tried to disrupt a shareholder meeting and Steve Jobs basically told them to hire their own engineers and shut up.
    tallest skilpatchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I’m ok with shareholder initiatives. I just wish they were of higher quality. 

Last year in the QA one woman used her opportunity to ask Tim Cook a question by complaining that her iPhone had a problem. Sheesh. Try to think of a question of general interest. .

A few years ago I asked an open ended question about dividends. That answer was reported by Bloomberg. Last year I asked about Apple’s commitment to the pro users. Tim’s reply was widely reported. 

If I have an opportunity, what should I ask about this year? Dividends are on track. Pro products are in the pipeline. iPads are recovering. Given one question, what would you ask Tim? Clearly, Tim won’t comment on future products, but he will talk about markets or general commitments. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    My question, which I'm sure you might articulate better, would be on maintaining the value of Apple brand. Isn't it a HUGE risk to produce Hollywood shows labelled with Apple brand. Just because Sony and Amazon do doesn't make it wise.

An entertainment subsidiary or two with different names less risky. If they bomb, does little damage to Apple's image. What's more, like Beats, they could bring in new crowd.

Why not buy rights on successful international shows or media libraries. Check out website of MHzWorld (based in Virginia, U.S.) stock of comedies and mysteries and other shows-- from Korea to Italy. 

• Reply 8 of 8
    Good point. A related question is how to manage an increasingly broader enterprise? How can top managers keep track of so many SKUs? This was part of my question last year. Hitachi and GE make things from jet engines to microwave ovens to cargo ships. Jet engine shipments don’t get delayed because engineers get pulled to work on induction stove tops. Apple seems to run like a very large, small company. This is over my head but I’d like Tim to make a public statement about Apple’s plan for managing as they grow. Last year he skipped this and talked about the strong pipeline for Pro consumers. This was also interesting information, but not exactly what I had asked.