Hello.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello everyone. I go by the name Reality. It's nice to meet you all. I'm new here and was looking a for a Mac forum I could fell at home with. This place looks great so I thought I try here.

I'm at the time Mac-less. I don't own a Mac yet but I'm eager to go for it. So I thought what's better then asking a lot of Mac users what's the right Mac for me? So here's a little info about myself.

I'm 17 years old and don't need a Mac for gaming. I'm a Console Gamer so I don't haft to be concerned in that area. I'm into art and I'm going to buy Photoshop for my new Mac so I want a good display. I'm looking for something that has a big screen, a 17" must if you will. I also want a CD/DVD, maybe even a DVD/RW since I'm forking the money over.

The model I'm looking at now is the eMac but I wanted to get some opinions before I buy. I'm also wondering if this place is good to ask questions about OS X? When I get my Mac there will be of course a learning curve so I want to be able to go to a place and ask for help. A personal Thank you to any who can help me!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Welcome to AI! Enjoy your stay

You have a couple options from what I've gathered so far (in order of cost):

1) Superdrive eMac

2) Superdrive iMac 15"

3) Superdrive iMac 17"

4) DP 867 G4 with 17" Studio Display

It largely depends on how much you can spend, and how much work you plan on doing. If you plan on doing heavy Photoshop stuff, then I'd suggest getting the Powermac, but my guess would be that either the Superdrive eMac or the iMac 15" will work just fine(since 15" LCD is fairly close in size to 17" CRT).

The eMac and iMac are basically identical in specs with the major difference being the CRT/LCD... so if you want to save money than just get the eMac, it should be perfect (just upgrade the memory a bit, as OS X loves memory).

The learning curve for OS X shouldn't be too steep, you should pick it up fairly quickly. I'm sure there's plenty of people in here who can help you with any problems you have.

I hope this helps... feel free to ask any more questions.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    another thing you may want to consider is waiting for the iMacs to be updated... in a month or so they will have been idle for a year... best to wait a month or two to see what MWSF holds...

If you are really in a rush to get a mac, consider getting an old iBook for around 999... it will not decline in price and is a very nice machine...then when a better desktop comes out you can sell the iBook for a minimal loss and get a brand-spankin' new iMac
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I was considering buying a SuperDrive equipped eMac to compliment my iBook, but after reading many of the rumor sites, have decided to wait until after MWSF. They've just started a rebate on them, so I'm sure we'll see an update of some sort. ( I hope)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Welcome. This is a cool place. Just stay away from Fireside Chat.

You'll thank me.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Welcome. This is a cool place. Just stay away from Fireside Chat.

You'll thank me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The irony though is that he can't thank you unless he does go to Fireside Chat
  • Reply 6 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    As one of other member said, wait until MWSF in january before buying a e mac or an imac. These products have not been updated since many months, they will have a big update at MWSF.

Why a big one : because a minor one, will have been shiped before Christmas, a major one is always presented at a big event by Steve Jobs himself.

And welcome to AI. Avoid FC or do not take it in a serious way.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I really don't have much to say since everyone seemed to answer your questions, so welcome to AI
  • Reply 8 of 15
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>... best to wait a month or two to see what MWSF holds...</strong><hr></blockquote>

After Reality finally gets his first Mac he may do what the rest of us is doing here at AI:

Being in an infinite loop waiting for the next MW.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Thanks for such fast and helpful replies. I'm in no major hurry. Getting the best deal is the best part of shopping. Since I'll just put myself on hold I want to say thanks for the warm welcome and what can you tell me about this MWSF? It's sounds cool.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    MWSF (Macworld - San Francisco) is a semi-annual conference and expo... in January it's in SF, in the summer it's in NY (soon to be in Boston in a year or two? can't remember).

<a href="http://www.macworldexpo.com"; target="_blank">www.macworldexpo.com</a>
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Come with me, Reality, to Fireside Chat.

I think you'll like it.

I'll tell you aaaall about MWSF if you do. Come. Take my hand.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    You will go mad if you try and use Photoshop on a 15" iMac (of any kind) for an extended amount of time. Sure, it may have a viewable area that compares to a 17" CRT, but the maximum resolution is only 1024x768.

Go for the 17" iMac, it's plenty fast, and the resolution is quite large (something like 1440x900, but that's probably not exact.)

If you are working with really large graphics in PS (i.e. not simple web stuff) then you should probably take a look at the Dual 867MHz PowerMac. It will probably last you longer as well, since you will be able to upgrade virtually everything.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Welcome. This is a cool place. Just stay away from Fireside Chat.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He's right. Avoid it, as the devil does with holy water.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I see. Well, I'll be sure to do that.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Reality, don't trust hassan, he'll eat you alive...

naw just kiddin... Hassan is da man, lets wait for MWSF and see if it brings any great new introductions...