Ti book now or wait till January? HELP.

in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey all...

About to say goodbye to my trusty 2 year old graphite SE ibook and finally buy a Ti book.

Yippeee! However, I need some advice. I do flash animation now...looking to get into Digital video editing with final cut pro down the road.

As ya all know there are currently three configurations for the Tibook. One at 867mghz and two at 1 Ghz. I'm torn at to which one to get.....and if I should wait till MWSF in January for one last update. I will not wait for longer than that though.

Is the superdrive in the current high end 1 ghz version worth it? Is it nescessary? At 1x writable, is this too slow? Or should I go with the midrange 1 ghz version without the superdrive. My feeling is, for $200 more that choice is kind of easy. However the 867mghz version is a full $700 cheaper. Would this be fast enough? Burn less battery power?

The only difference I can see between the 867 and 1ghz versions besides the obvious is the fact that the 867 has 32 megs of ddr video ram while the 1ghz versions have 64 megs of ddr video ram. Is this a major advantage?

I'm either going to buy one of the 3 versions now...or wait till January. Of course no one knows for sure what if any changes to the powerbook line will happen then...but I just wanted alittle feedback before I decide.

Thanks everyone,



  • Reply 1 of 11
    First: There WILL not be a new update at MWSF, absolutely no way. What could they update anyway???

    Second: The 867 also does not come standard with all the RAM that the 1ghz does. And the 64mb card will be better, but not a lot.

    Third: The 1ghz model is not very much more and the difference is worth it. Get the 1ghz model with the combo, it is the best deal.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Thanks for the reply. So no update you think in Jan? Cool. Still unsure which of the current 3 configurations to get.

    Anyone else? Opinions...advice?

  • Reply 3 of 11
    Definately no Powerbook update in January. If you're gonna use Final Cut Pro, you might want to look at the 1ghz machines.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Well I'd take a look at the <a href="http://lowendmac.com/rumormill/02/1104.html"; target="_blank">Wing Book</a> first. You might find the multiple screens and dual processors handy.

  • Reply 5 of 11
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    wingbook...Ha ha...

    but seriously. Im looking for serious advice and opinions. If you're gonna speculate...please base it in reality.

    Much appreciated.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i'm having the same dilema as you, and its a hard call. i can't really afford the 1ghz, but once i add an aiport card (standard in the 1ghz) and the extra ram the difference is less. extra hard disc space is a bonus and MacUser here in the UK has just given the 1ghz a top review...

    decisions, decisions!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Apple are very consistant with their laptop updates and speedbumps so there will not be one in Jan at MWSF. Get the 1Ghz, speed, RAM, VRAM, Airport, etc is all better. I think the choice between combo or superdrive comes down to "Do I want to burn DVD's?" If no is the answer then get the combo. I understand that iDVD will work on external burners someday...

    [ 11-29-2002: Message edited by: Thereubster ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    This really belongs in current hardware.

    Anyhow, I thought I'd let you know I found a great hot deal on GHz powerbooks, if you live outside New York:

    <a href="http://www.macsupportstore.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.macsupportstore.com/</a>;

    They accept orders for custom-configured powerbooks. I specified GHz PB with 40GB HD and Combo Drive. The price was about $2500. I've been checking trakcing info and it should probably arrive here on Monday.

    [edit]I mention it's good if you live outside NY because you don't pay sales tax [/edit]

    [ 11-29-2002: Message edited by: eliahu ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    What's up with having to get a password to enter their site?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by regan:


    but seriously. Im looking for serious advice and opinions.</strong><hr></blockquote>

    That's why this is going to GD.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    Both the 867Mhz and 1 Ghz models will be more than adequate for design and web animations. The 1 Ghz model will be the better bet for Final Cut Pro. In terms of whether you should get the superdrive model or not? I am finding the superdrive to be a great asset for saving my DV video. It's a lot more efficient than cutting them up into 650 MB parts to back up on CD. The Superdrive may be slower (1x DVD-R), but it packs a lot more data. Besides if you do video work you should be used to waiting and being patient (ie rendering video).

    I guess it depends on what you can afford. I would make sure you take advantage of the Double Your Memory deal. I am confident my 1Ghz Superdrive TiBook will last me a long time. It has been a great investment so far.

    Like everyone wrote above, I don't think Apple will update the Powerbook line until mid 2003.

    Hope this helps...

    [ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: trowa ]</p>
Sign In or Register to comment.