Apple looks to simplify development of iPhone apps with acquisition of Vancouver-based Bud...

Posted:
in iOS edited February 2020
Developer support service Buddybuild announced that it has ben acquired by Apple, where its personnel will join the Xcode team in creating developer tools for iOS apps.

The Buddybuild service will remain available for existing customers, though Android app development will end in March. Buddybuild's team will remain in Vancouver, British Columbia, they revealed in an official announcement on Tuesday, first spotted by iMore.

Buddybuild helps developers ship their apps faster by integrating with services like GitHub, BitBucket and GitLab. With Buddybuild, each "git push" creates a secure build environment, triggers a build of an iOS app, runs unit or UI tests detected, and prepares the app for beta testing or deployment to Apple's TestFlight.

By integrating Buddybuild into Xcode, Apple presumably is looking to ease the process from development to App Store launch for iOS. Paid starter plans at Buddybuild started at $71 per month, while business plans kicked off at $245 per month.

With 2018 underway, it's expected to be a big year for Apple's developer community, as the iMac Pro just began shipping and new Mac Pro desktops are in the pipeline. Apple is also rumored to be working on a new unified code base that will make it easier for iOS developers to create Mac versions of their apps, and potentially launch across all of the company's App Stores with just one build.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    looplessloopless Posts: 325member
    Thanks goodness. Although deployment with XCode has got much easier since the early days it is still painfully obvious that the whole process needs a rethink, and it should be much simpler for first time developers.
    racerhomie3cropr
  • Reply 2 of 11
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Good job Apple.
    They are also fixing experiences of Developers.
    Who is leading the App Store development now anyways?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Good job Apple.
    They are also fixing experiences of Developers.
    Who is leading the App Store development now anyways?
    I think it is Phil Schiller...
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I’ve never coded before. I am looking for some advice on how to get started developing apps for iOS ... I couldn’t think of a better group of people to ask than here at the Apple Insider forums. I have only recently started posting though I have been lurking for years 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎👽😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎
  • Reply 5 of 11
    For Apple OS X and iOS specific programming I would check out the free iTune U Stanford courses taught by Paul Hegarty and the books by Big Nerd Ranch. For programming in general I would try to find a good ANSI C text.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I’ve never coded before. I am looking for some advice on how to get started developing apps for iOS ...
    For learning iOS development, start with the Swift Playgrounds app on the iPad to get the basics of programming - you want to learn Swift, not Objective C, because Swift is the future for Apple. Then, I'd suggest you get the Ray Wenderlich IOS Apprentice ebook and go through the entire thing - it is very well written, teaching good practices, and is always up to date (using traditional books leaves you out of date, and things have been changing significantly in iOS every year recently). https://store.raywenderlich.com/products/ios-apprentice
    cornchipargonautStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I liked this company! They gave out free breakfast burritos at WWDC 2017! I was wondering why a suite like theirs wasn’t part of Xcode yet....
    fastasleepargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Does that mean the employees are now six months to a year away from layoff? Once the concept is integrated into Apple's system, will there be any reason to keep the Vancouver office or its employees?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    jkichline said:
    I liked this company! They gave out free breakfast burritos at WWDC 2017! I was wondering why a suite like theirs wasn’t part of Xcode yet....
    Maybe Apple acquired them for BreakfastBurritos not BuddyBuild?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Does that mean the employees are now six months to a year away from layoff? Once the concept is integrated into Apple's system, will there be any reason to keep the Vancouver office or its employees?
    Ever the optimist, I see. 

I'm sure Apple would like to retain the talent. If there is no local office, and no remote option, then it would be up to the workers to decide if wished to relocate to another site.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    StrangeDays said:
    Ever the optimist, I see.
    Sorry, after 20 years at the same gig I just recently experienced the effects of corporate efficiency optimization and budget management myself, so it's a front-of-mind topic for me!