Apple Music chief Jimmy Iovine expected to leave company in August

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2018
Former Interscope chief executive and Apple Music chief Jimmy Iovine, who came to Apple through its acquisition of headphone maker Beats, will reportedly leave the company later this year -- and will likely take a hefty payday with him when he does.

Citing unnamed sources, Billboard reported on Thursday that the Beats cofounder will leave Apple in August, once his shares in the company fully vest. It's unknown just how much Iovine stands to make, but Apple's purchase of Beats back in 2014 was priced at $3 billion.

Despite joining Apple officially in recent years, his relationship with the company goes back well before that, meeting cofounder Steve Jobs and executive Eddy Cue back in 2013. He recalled that first meeting in an interview last year.

"I said, 'These guys should have an entertainment company,'" Iovine recalled after meeting them. "They had all these technologies and these entertainment companies, but couldn't put it all together. Apple, of all the global tech companies, was the one that understood why artists make things."

He ended up joining Apple more than 11 years later, as Apple sought to get Apple Music off the ground with the acquisition of the Beats Music streaming service.

"We were never going to be able to scale, because the business model was very difficult, and still is," Iovine said. "I didn't think I could have finished it on my own. We knew exactly what we were doing, meaning that [joining Apple] is the outcome we wanted."

It's unknown who will take over the oversight of Apple Music in Iovine's absence, though as Billboard noted, he never had a specific title at the company.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    As long as Larry Jackson doesn't leave, Apple Music will be just fine w/out Jimmy. 
    edited January 2018 ksec
  • Reply 2 of 60
    OK can he take Eddy Cue with him?
    freediverxbshankmacxpressdoozydozen1983patchythepiratecgWerks
  • Reply 3 of 60
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Good idea.
    doozydozenSpamSandwich1983badmonk
  • Reply 4 of 60
    Thought Iovine was in it for the long run, last I heard he had huge ideas for Apple Music.
    applesnorangesdoozydozenSpamSandwichbadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Agreed. I have always thought that the Beats crew were some of the weirdest, pointless hires at Apple.

But what do I know. 
    SpamSandwich1983
  • Reply 6 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Indeed. These guys are repeatedly creating multimillion and billion dollar fortunes, and we’re commenting on a rumors site. 
    edited January 2018 bshankRayz2016racerhomie3randominternetpersondoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 60
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Agreed. I have always thought that the Beats crew were some of the weirdest, pointless hires at Apple.

But what do I know. 
    We really only these guys at face value and really have no idea what their actual work ethic is like. Likely they are very good at their jobs or they would not currently still be in the position they’re in. 
    applesnorangesStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 60
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member

But what do I know. 
    Buying Beats was Apple anchoring their brand in a whole additional market
    edited January 2018 patchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 60
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

But what do I know. 
    But the headphones are a billion $ business  :D
  • Reply 10 of 60
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,710member
    Good riddance. all this guy ever was is a talker.
    kseczroger73
  • Reply 11 of 60
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,710member
    bshank said:

But what do I know. 
    Pretty sure iTunes had it covered. Beats had a tiny share.  But it does give Apple the appearance of a broader demographic to those who might criticize things they don’t understand.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

bshank said:

But what do I know. 
    What market is that exactly? Apple bought Beats at its plateau. I remember going into Best Buy years ago and seeing hardly any headphones that weren’t Beats. Not anymore. Now Best Buy is showcasing JBL, Sony, AKG, AudioTechnica, B&O, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, etc. Maybe celebrities & althletes are still big Beats users. But when I’m at the gym I see more people wearing AirPods than Beats.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    back in 2013
    The year has a typo.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mmmm. 

So no one has actually said he’s leaving; they’re guessing he’ll leave because his shares are ripe. 

That’s journalism for you. 

Still, if he and Dre (is Dre still in the building) leave then I don’t think it’s a huge deal. 

randominternetpersonpscooter63ksec
  • Reply 15 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

bshank said:

But what do I know. 
    What market is that exactly? Apple bought Beats at its plateau. I remember going into Best Buy years ago and seeing hardly any headphones that weren’t Beats. Not anymore. Now Best Buy is showcasing JBL, Sony, AKG, AudioTechnica, B&O, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, etc. Maybe celebrities & althletes are still big Beats users. But when I’m at the gym I see more people wearing AirPods than Beats.
    Not at my gym, Beats are more common by far. And remember, they were the #1 selling accessory at Apple stores. Apple made its money back the first year. 

No matter how much you dislike rap music, Beats was a smash success and a slam dunk for Apple. Sorry it hurts. 
    edited January 2018 pscooter63argonautpatchythepiratejcs2305
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Rayz2016 said:
    Mmmm. 

So no one has actually said he’s leaving; they’re guessing he’ll leave because his shares are ripe. 

Still, if he and Dre (is Dre still in the building) leave then I don’t think it’s a huge deal. 

Bloomberg has corroborated Iovine's departure : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-05/apple-music-s-jimmy-iovine-is-said-to-plan-departure-in-august

"Iovine thrived by trusting his gut, often against the wishes of his superiors. While that usually worked in the freewheeling record business, that approach induced conflict at Apple."
  • Reply 17 of 60

Indeed. These guys are repeatedly creating multimillion and billion dollar fortunes, and we’re commenting on a rumors site. 
    Donald Trump is a billionaire.
    Even tho you don’t like the man, he is obviously doing some things right. Rich, and the most powerful man on earth. Not bad. 
    Iovine's strength was he understood what music culture was all about.  Not sure any of the senior execs at Apple currently do.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    colinngcolinng Posts: 116member
    rogifan_new said:

There are lots of variables that lead to the outcome you see. I don’t think retail in general (except for Apple and a few others) is doing that well. In Canada we lost NCIX (computer/tech retailer), and Future Shop (when Best Buy bought it - then shut it down). That leaves Memory Express, Best Buy, and a few mom-and-pop stores, all fighting against Amazon. It’s actually quite sad. 

The big name retailers used to make more money charging for “placement” than from selling the actual goods. I’ll bet a boatload of “marketing” expenses are incurred by any manufacturer paying to have its products featured at Best Buy. Major laptop vendors typically paid a branch of a store tens of thousands to feature their laptops. At 1-3% margin a store would have to sell a TON of PC laptops to get the same profit. Yet other that Macs, are laptops flying off the shelves?

Then what Best Buy pushes on its customers (a name brand or their house brand) is a matter of which item has the most commission. 

My guess: Best Buy is playing one audio brand against another to see who will fight to pay Best Buy the most to “feature” their product. When Best Buy needs to justify the cost, they either shrug and say, “well online sales are causing drops in retail”, or they can promise to do better and then just jack the commission on that particular brand, to spike the sales until the watchdogs leave. 

Its sad really. Not many people read enough and test products enough to force only good products to appear on the market. Manufacturers then play this stupid game of who can shout the loudest (biggest ad spend) while we are just wishing we could get good stuff and pay fair price. Who wins? Ad agencies. Who loses? Engineers and consumers. 

Apple Retail doesn’t just sell lots, it saves Apple from having to pay the big box tax. When there are multiple Apple stores in every major city, and they are in great areas, like high end malls, and places that people want to go to, then Apple is no longer subject to Best Buy trying to raise the “placement” rate.  

When Beats are found at every Apple Store worldwide, why would Apple even give a penny to Best Buy? Why not sink extra pennies into new retail locations? 
    randominternetpersonfastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 60

But when I’m at the gym I see more people wearing AirPods than Beats.
    I dunno, I find that very hard to believe, even if it is just anecdotal. 

fastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 60

Rayz2016 said:
    Mmmm. 

Bloomberg has corroborated Iovine's departure : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-05/apple-music-s-jimmy-iovine-is-said-to-plan-departure-in-august

"Iovine thrived by trusting his gut, often against the wishes of his superiors. While that usually worked in the freewheeling record business, that approach induced conflict at Apple."
    Rayz2016 said:
    Mmmm. 

Bloomberg couldn’t even commit itself in the URL, and is that Gurman I see on the byline? Oh, and the usual quote from unnamed sources. Bloomberg hasn’t corroborated anything; they’ve simply printed a rumour. 

Though if he does go I’m not sure that would be a bad thing. I don’t think they really need him (or Dre) any more. 

edited January 2018