Apple shipping delays higher under Tim Cook than Steve Jobs, data finds

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    sergioz said:
    The longer you wait the higher perceived value  of products that are being sold. It’s actually better if you make potential costumers wait! 
    there should be a threshold wait time though, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I thought only Elon Musk missed self-imposed deadlines.

The Model 3 was off the assembly line by the stated time, but the ramp up has been slower than initially projected, which has made many commenters here suggest a range of claims against Musk; anywhere between he's simply bad at his job to him being a charlatan who is duping people out of money.
    Gotcha. Sounds like a bunch of whiners to me then.
    Soli
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mike54 said:
    Delays under TIm... days? It's years for the mac mini. It's years for the Mac Pro.
    And some products have been cut entirely.. 

By the same logic, iWeb has been "delayed" for nine years now. Not updating the product is not the same as an announcement and not shipping.
    AppleZulubaconstangfastasleep
  • Reply 44 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tzeshan said:
    jungmark said:
    It's a worthless article. 
    How many times did Apple ship something that was clearly not ready?

Also it said Jobs had only one item wait more than 3 months? That's the original iPhone. Wasn't  the white iPhone also delayed a long time?
    The original iPhone was announced in January 2007. The planned ship day is June 2007.  When was it shipped? 
    But the report indicates it's a study of the time delay between when it was announced and when it was shipped. 
  • Reply 45 of 60
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    jungmark said:
    tzeshan said:
    jungmark said:
    It's a worthless article. 
    How many times did Apple ship something that was clearly not ready?

Also it said Jobs had only one item wait more than 3 months? That's the original iPhone. Wasn't  the white iPhone also delayed a long time?
    The original iPhone was announced in January 2007. The planned ship day is June 2007.  When was it shipped? 
    But the report indicates it's a study of the time delay between when it was announced and when it was shipped. 
    It is the wording used by AI I think. The examples used in the article are all announced shipping date. 
  • Reply 46 of 60
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

The Model 3 was off the assembly line by the stated time, but the ramp up has been slower than initially projected, which has made many commenters here suggest a range of claims against Musk; anywhere between he's simply bad at his job to him being a charlatan who is duping people out of money.
    Soli's being desingeneous, loudmouth Musk did lots of other claims about the 3 that he's blown. The report, from inside is not of someone in control of wtf is going on there, the reports talk of near incompetence.
    Doesn't mean he's a bullshitter in all things. He's done good things with Space X, and basically lucked into paypal, but often he sells shit that he cannot possibly deliver.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli's being desingeneous, loudmouth Musk did lots of other claims about the 3 that he's blown. The report, from inside is not of someone in control of wtf is going on there, the reports talk of near incompetence.
    Doesn't mean he's a bullshitter in all things. He's done good things with Space X, and basically lucked into paypal, but often he sells shit that he cannot possibly deliver.
    Loudmouth, incompetence, bullshitter in [some] things, lucked into [success], sells shit, cannot […] deliver.

For a such a short post you sure said a lot of negative things about Musk, which indeed does back up my very genuine comment about many here claiming Musk is "anywhere between he's simply bad at his job to him being a charlatan who is duping people out of money."
    edited January 2018 philboogie
  • Reply 48 of 60
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Maybe the throttling of Tim's iPhone caused him to fall behind schedule.😉
  • Reply 49 of 60
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    eacumm said:
    TomE said:
    I don't mind waiting, especially if it means getting the product right.
    As for the current Intel Chip problem, is it better to wait on new products or ship them ?
    I want to know if the product is about to change enough to make me wish I should have waited to buy or invest.
    But what have they got right, nothing my iPad Pro 2nd generation has been replaced once 3 months ago, now this one is doing the same thing as the old one and most likely will be replaced, my iPhone X has a problem that Apples Engineers are trying to figure out for 2 weeks now, but they have been unable to figure out what’s causing the problem. Apple needs to get things right or they will lose me as a costumer.
    Yeah your claim that they’ve got nothing right is pretty much bullshit. My iPad Pro kicks ass. My X kicks ass. My AW3 kicks ass. My AirPods kick ass.*

*side note, my SO’s right airpod was flaky so we submitted a ticket online. They had a replacement at our door the next day! Sent the old one back. That’s service!
    Well good for you, but like I said they replaced my iPad Pro no questions ask the problem it had and now the replacement has is the screen freezes up, the problem iPhone X has does not happen to all my wife’s work fine, but the problem some people may have it and not know, on some not all iPhone X problem is if you go to time and date and traffic Set Automatic and set it to any city of your choose, then when you turn off the phone and then turn it back on the Set Automatic turns its self back on. And I sorry to tell you Strange Days I cannot take anyone who name themselves after a movie seriously.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    The point is Jobs created Apple. He could do whatever he wanted at the time. Now under new leadership Apple wants to make things right.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Loudmouth, incompetence, bullshitter in [some] things, lucked into [success], sells shit, cannot […] deliver.

For a such a short post you sure said a lot of negative things about Musk, which indeed does back up my very genuine comment about many here claiming Musk is "anywhere between he's simply bad at his job to him being a charlatan who is duping people out of money."
    In March 2017, Atlassian's Mike Cannon-Brookes called out Musk on Twitter regarding Tesla's claim that it could build and deliver a working lithium ion battery (world's biggest) for South Australia ($65.5 million) in 100 days or it was free.  Musk's reply to Cannon-Brookes ... "Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free. That serious enough for you?".  Musk won the bet.

In mid-December 2017 the Victorian coal-fired Loy Yang power plant in Victoria tripped and went offline and the Tesla battery delivered 100 megawatts into the national electricity grid in 140 milliseconds.  By comparison, South Australia’s Torrens Island power station would have taken half an hour to an hour to energise and synchronise into the market.
    edited January 2018 Soli
  • Reply 52 of 60
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Headline is wildly misleading. “Under Cook, average gap between reveal and shipping doubles” would be more accurate, but I’d still have to say this is a case where the stat isn’t wrong, but it’s also not really noteworthy. The headline infers that Apple misses a lot of deadlines, when in fact that is still quite rare. Back in the day, Jobs would sometimes announce a product six months before it shipped, and sometimes it would be shipping the day (or the day after) he announced it. Under Cook, products tend to ship about two weeks after announcement, sometimes three weeks. Not seeing any real significance here.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    kimberly said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

In March 2017, Atlassian's Mike Cannon-Brookes called out Musk on Twitter regarding Tesla's claim that it could build and deliver a working lithium ion battery (world's biggest) for South Australia ($65.5 million) in 100 days or it was free.  Musk's reply to Cannon-Brookes ... "Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free. That serious enough for you?".  Musk won the bet.

In mid-December 2017 the Victorian coal-fired Loy Yang power plant in Victoria tripped and went offline and the Tesla battery delivered 100 megawatts into the national electricity grid in 140 milliseconds.  By comparison, South Australia’s Torrens Island power station would have taken half an hour to an hour to energise and synchronise into the market.
    That's some impressive smoke and mirroring. /s
    edited January 2018 philboogie
  • Reply 54 of 60
    kimberly said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

What's the fracking point of this, you do know the battery are not even his tech huh? Stop sucking Musk's tits. Musk worship is way worse than Job's ever was.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    foggyhill said:
    kimberly said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

What's the fracking point of this, you do know the battery are not even his tech huh? Stop sucking Musk's tits. Musk worship is way worse than Job's ever was.
    You're saying that Tesla doesn't make batteries or that they made a promise for a promise which they delivered? You sound like most of the trolls that come here to say that Apple's tech isn't really their tech by pointing out how this or that existed before Apple adopted it or that how they use vendors for components and manufacturing. Why not give Tesla credit for completing an overwhelming project on time… especially when you said he's a loudmouth, incompetent, bullshitter in [some] things, lucked into [success], sells shit, and cannot […] deliver.
    philboogie
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    kimberly said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

You're saying that Tesla doesn't make batteries or that they made a promise for a promise which they delivered? You sound like most of the trolls that come here to say that Apple's tech isn't really their tech by pointing out how this or that existed before Apple adopted it or that how they use vendors for components and manufacturing. Why not give Tesla credit for completing an overwhelming project on time… especially when you said he's a loudmouth, incompetent, bullshitter in [some] things, lucked into [success], sells shit, and cannot […] deliver.
    I actually gave him credit on Space X, yet that kinda escaped your mind huh.
    He's bullshitted a load of times about project delivery times and what he intends to do, That's it.
    Pointing at that Australian project is basically doesn't respond to my point cause i didn't say he never delivered anything.
    So, whoo heee, he's delivered something on schedule on edge tech,
    something Apple does well, every single day in much wider scales; lets break out the champagne.
    He's delivered a contract on time. That's expected.

I don't wanna hear about what kind of "genius" (another one... (sic)) Musk supposedly is from well, anyone. The amount of rah rah ing is beyond annoying.
    if anyone wants to worship at his altar, better do it at Ars Technica were that's expected and they downvote you if you don't dance in the streets at everything he does.

He's very good at showmanship. indeed fantastic at talking himself up and getting people to listen to his whatever bounces inside his head.
    If he'd be less ADHD about everything I actually maybe could respect him more.
    Compared to him, Jobs was a restrained introvert (which indeed he was not.. far from it), they both loved the sound of their own voice.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    kimberly said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

He's bullshitted a load of times about project delivery times and what he intends to do, That's it.
    Pointing at that Australian project is basically doesn't respond to my point cause i didn't say he never delivered anything.
    something Apple does well, every single day in much wider scales; lets break out the champagne.

I don't wanna hear about what kind of "genius" (another one... (sic)) Musk supposedly is from well, anyone. The amount of rah rah ing is beyond annoying.
    if anyone wants to worship at his altar, better do it at Ars Technica were that's expected and they downvote you if you don't dance in the streets at everything he does.

He's very good at showmanship. indeed fantastic at talking himself up and getting people to listen to his whatever bounces inside his head.
    Compared to him, Jobs was a restrained introvert (which indeed he was not.. far from it), they both loved the sound of their own voice.
    1) You gave him some credit for Space X? How magnanimous of you not to say that Musk didn't invent the rocket. /s

2) It didn't escape me as I clearly referenced that you threw him a bone that he's not a bullshitter in ALL things.

3) Actually, you said, "often he sells shit that he cannot possibly deliver." Mike Cannon-Brookes and many others—probably even you if you read Musk's promise before he delivered—said he couldn't possible meet that timeline.

4) So when Musk does deliver on a self-imposed timeline you ignore it and only look at things that missed a deadline, but when Apple misses self-imposed deadlines you  ignore it any only look what they have delivered. That's a crazy level of misplaced animosity toward Musk and misplaced devotion to Apple.

5) I don't think he's a very good showman. He products show themselves, but his presentations are pretty poor. Certainly not at the PT Barnum level that Jobs presented YoY. Speaking of Jobs, it's funny that you seem to admire Jobs for very much being a bullshitter and having done a lot of unethical things in his personal life and career.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    kimberly said:
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

1) You gave him some credit for Space X? How magnanimous of you not to say that Musk didn't invent the rocket. /s

2) It didn't escape me as I clearly referenced that you threw him a bone that he's not a bullshitter in ALL things.

3) Actually, you said, "often he sells shit that he cannot possibly deliver." Mike Cannon-Brookes and many others—probably even you if you read Musk's promise before he delivered—said he couldn't possible meet that timeline.

4) So when Musk does deliver on a self-imposed timeline you ignore it and only look at things that missed a deadline, but when Apple misses self-imposed deadlines you  ignore it any only look what they have delivered. That's a crazy level of misplaced animosity toward Musk and misplaced devotion to Apple.

5) I don't think he's a very good showman. He products show themselves, but his presentations are pretty poor. Certainly not at the PT Barnum level that Jobs presented YoY. Speaking of Jobs, it's funny that you seem to admire Jobs for very much being a bullshitter and having done a lot of unethical things in his personal life and career.
    I don't admire Jobs at all,  I just admire him not being as much in my face. That's pretty faint praise if you ask me.
    Jobs just had a lower public profile, you mostly heard about him when you got product launches and not that much outside it.
    You did hear a bit more from the people that had were in the fields were mac were more prevalent.
    But, that wasn't in any field I was near as I worked as a computer and systems engineer and nobody was using Mac around me (and neither was I).

In fact, even in the early 2000s, I probably heard more about Musk and his electric cars in silicon valley (because Ipod's were a more mass market product while cars were cool tech toys for us rich engineers). In fact, this whole cool tech toys bit explains a lot about Musk's appeal for techies.

Now, I hear about Musk seemingly every day on online tech sites in the kind of hushed tone you'd hear about teeny bobbers talk about their idol/crush or some faitfull about the pope.

Part of this is the kind of social media echo chamber were his message seems to echo (so not completely dependent on him).
    But, he uses that also to raise his profile, but so do a lot of  youtube boobs with millions followers.

So, maybe its just the magnification of personalities of this era that pisses me off, who knows really.

I've been around tech a long long while.
    In the 1980s,didn't hear about Jobs that much (well it was a different era and maybe if you bought all those computer magazines you'd hear of him a lot),
    in fact, after I mainly remember him being kicked out of Apple, that sure made a rucus, vaguely remember him launching NexT (and it kinda went nowhere) and didn't even know he had anything to do with Pixar (despite having seen even early Pixar shorts). Even when he came back at Apple, I was in silicon valley working at the time and barely heard about him (and I worked 2 miles from Apple's headquarter at the time).

• Reply 59 of 60
    I don't see anything wrong with 2 weeks, or even a couple of months early announcment, but I do dislike the fact that they are going to six months with some launches, like the iMac Pro and Keyly the Apple watch which took something like 8 months.