Do-it-yourself Abode Iota security system features HomeKit integration, 1080p camera

Posted:
in iPhone
Home security company Abode has expanded their system with the new Iota gateway, bringing HomeKit compatibility to the do-it-yourself solution.

The core Abode Iota system is a fabric-wrapped cylindrical gateway with a 1080p camera and a motion sensor. The device streams live audio to Abode's servers, through the Home app, or through the system's own app.

In the event of an alarm, the system will automatically upload clips to the abode timeline regardless of abode plan. Video clips can also be triggered by other events within the home, such as unlocking the front door and integrated infrared LEDs provide night vision capabilities in the dark.

Connectivity is provided by wi-fi and Ethernet. Backup power is supplied by an built-in battery for up to 10 hours, and an optional LTE module is available for use in an internet outage.

Besides HomeKit, the Abode iota supports Z-Wave, ZigBee, and the company's own radio frequency connectivity for older gear. For existing Abode customers interested in upgrading to the new hub, AppleInsider was told that the company will provide a path in the future with a firmware update.

According to Abode, the iota hub will be available in the first quarter of 2018 at a retail price of $329.

"Pro-level" monitoring packages are available, contract-free. Plans are available in three or seven-day increments for vacations and trips, or on a monthly and annual basis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I see a company that is going to be changing there name in the Future. I had to read it 3 times before i noticed that my brain was autocorrecting what i was reading.
    wlym
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I see a company that is going to be changing there name in the Future. I had to read it 3 times before i noticed that my brain was autocorrecting what i was reading.
    I did the same thing about the name!  :) 

FYI: My friend's brother, just before Xmas, installed a camera system at his house here in AZ. He watched three times as three different cars drove up, stopped and people got out and looked for packages to steal. On video he got them walking up to the door and looking around the side of the house.

I'm seriously looking into this for our home. I just don't like the 'Costco-esque' products right now.

FYI: Another friend put a wifi adaptor connected to his regular, old-style garage door opener...it alerts him to whether the garage door is open or not. Not sure if there's a camera. Thinking about doing that also. ~$80 on Amazon.

The only other thing we've done, is connected our outside watering system to wifi/iPhone. It's brilliant we can turn it off and on in an instant. We walk around the yard with the iPhone and spotted a lot of leaks. By turning it off and then on again, we can hear the noisy start-up and identify if a bubbler is pumping out too much water. Fantastic. We have also 'plugged' some bubblers that are next to established trees and cacti that don't require watering anymore. Good deal. :)

Anyway.

Best.
    edited January 2018 cornchipwlym
  • Reply 3 of 4

What does this quote mean? 
    "For existing Abode customers interested in upgrading to the new hub, AppleInsider was told that the company will provide a path in the future with a firmware update"

Can we upgrade to the new Hub software?  Or are we required to buy a new hub?   I have never seen such a botched communication plan with regards to existing customers.

• Reply 4 of 4
    So true. Unless that is their strategy.