Editorial: The super exciting failure of CES 2018

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 58
    mystigomystigo Posts: 122member
    gatorguy said:
    ...
    ...And Samsung revealing an actual microLED TV "wall" at CES? Had no idea it was even possible yet. Samsung is obviously a lot further along with the tech than I realized.
    ...
    Sony has been rolling theirs out of the warehouse since 2012. microLED is the future, but likely one in which I will have been long dead at this pace.

    https://www.ledinside.com/outlook/2016/7/sony_and_apple_micro_led_display_market_strategy

    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,976member
    I'm glad that Apple never join this crappy event. It's just so bad and dominated by gimmicks.
    lolliverwatto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 23 of 58
    tex210tex210 Posts: 11member
    I would love to hear about the really ridiculous ideas at ces. Sometimes something is so out there it makes it back to brilliant. 
    Who really knows what will stick. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Dan, please consider your comment about the race of the shooter.  To avoid unintentional bias, If you would list the race no matter the race, then by all means leave it in.  If not, it's there for another reason and should probably be removed.  Also, as others have pointed out,  your comments about the LV region and city seemed a gratuitous attack on the city and its hundreds of thousands of citizens well beyond your critique of CES.  Was that your intent?
    edited January 2018 randominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingamJanNLpatchythepirate
  • Reply 25 of 58
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,692member
    "It's like yelling fire in a theater where there's an active shooter already firing."

    Really? Was that necessary?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,752member
    mystigo said:
    gatorguy said:
    ...
    ...And Samsung revealing an actual microLED TV "wall" at CES? Had no idea it was even possible yet. Samsung is obviously a lot further along with the tech than I realized.
    ...
    Sony has been rolling theirs out of the warehouse since 2012. microLED is the future, but likely one in which I will have been long dead at this pace.

    https://www.ledinside.com/outlook/2016/7/sony_and_apple_micro_led_display_market_strategy

    Thanks! Somehow I had gotten the impression Apple was in the lead here and would be the first to bring a real microLED product to the market.  :/

    One of the cases where I failed to take my own advice and read other sources too for microLED news.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 58
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,038member
    The has got to be my all-time favorite AI article.  Just went right for the jugular and called CES what it is:  Useless crap.  I was laughing through the whole read.  
    lolliverwatto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 28 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    VRing said:
    JanNL said:
    Appreciate your piece about CES. But when it's that bad, why is AI putting out so many articles about (great) products? ;)
    Because this author is referring to the journalists hired by the Associated Press, Bloomberg, CNET and Reuters as "amateur bloggers". No idea who wrote this article (it doesn't say), but my guess it's not done by a journalist.

    Huh? Where did you find that? Oh, I know, that’s from their homepage. Yeah, I avoid that, as it’s filled with ads. Just go straight to the comment section. Weird that they don’t include the original article there...


    StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    JanNL said:
    Appreciate your piece about CES. But when it's that bad, why is AI putting out so many articles about (great) products? ;)
    Because this author is referring to the journalists hired by the Associated Press, Bloomberg, CNET and Reuters as "amateur bloggers". No idea who wrote this article (it doesn't say), but my guess it's not done by a journalist.
    Dan Dilger wrote the piece. I've asked for bylines on pieces to be passed to the forums. At present, they are only on the homepage.
    Excellent action from you, hope they’ll implement it!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 58
    drewys808 said:
    “That's why big-headline companies hiring low-paid writers see CES as a goldmine of clickbait--perpetuating its existence and inducing the press to flock to a city replete with little more than flashing lights and concealed guns, despite the fact that more than 540 people were recently shot there by rich white man bored with life.”

    I’ve read quite a few thoughtful and interesting editorials on this board for many years... and this is NOT one of them.

    This article just seemed self-indulgent, hateful and pointless.

    ...and what the fck is with the attack on flashing lights and gun rights?!  For fcks sake. 

    I'm glad that line seems to have been removed from the article.  In very poor taste.  Perhaps next he can say nasty things about the communities of Sandy Hook and Columbine.
    BubbaTwomuthuk_vanalingampatchythepirate
  • Reply 31 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    Strange that the smart condom was left out:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/icon-smart-condom-ring/

    According to the preorder page, the ring will answer questions such as:
    • What's my thrust velocity? 
    • How fast are my thrusts?
    • How many calories did that sesh just burn?
    • How many times did I just have sex? 
    • What's the average skin temperature of my... eggplant?
    • What's my girth?
    • How many different positions did I just conquer?
    StrangeDaysjony0patchythepirate
  • Reply 32 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    VRing said:
    I agree, just focus on what's relevant. There are lots of interesting products buried in the various press releases.

    For example, this $399 Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 eGPU dock with a GTX 1050:

    [image removed]

     It's a bit on the pricey side, but seems to be relatively discrete. Potentially a good option to use with a 13" MacBook Pro.
    A vastly more expensive solution, but may be of interest:

    https://youtu.be/mBctxfMjXSQ
    BubbaTwo
  • Reply 33 of 58
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 2,975member
    VRing said:
    I agree, just focus on what's relevant. There are lots of interesting products buried in the various press releases.

    For example, this $399 Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 eGPU dock with a GTX 1050:

    [image removed]

     It's a bit on the pricey side, but seems to be relatively discrete. Potentially a good option to use with a 13" MacBook Pro.
    A vastly more expensive solution, but may be of interest:

    https://youtu.be/mBctxfMjXSQ
    Man, some of these boxes are the size of a small PC tower. Curious to see if someone actually builds a streamlined, affordable, quality box. Seems like a lot of wasted space and pretty simplistic cooling. 
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 4,642administrator
    VRing said:
    I agree, just focus on what's relevant. There are lots of interesting products buried in the various press releases.

    For example, this $399 Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 eGPU dock with a GTX 1050:

    [image removed]

     It's a bit on the pricey side, but seems to be relatively discrete. Potentially a good option to use with a 13" MacBook Pro.
    A vastly more expensive solution, but may be of interest:

    https://youtu.be/mBctxfMjXSQ
    Man, some of these boxes are the size of a small PC tower. Curious to see if someone actually builds a streamlined, affordable, quality box. Seems like a lot of wasted space and pretty simplistic cooling. 
    With the ones we've tried, its got less to do about the cooling, and more to do with the pretty massive power supply requirements, and the card itself. 

    My favorite is the Mantiz MZ-02, and I've tried about all of the enclosures.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 58
    entropysentropys Posts: 1,751member
    Back in the day Jobs would launch an exciting new product around this time which would suck all the oxygen out of CES. Good times.

    Nowadays of course there is none of that, and poor old Siri has become an also ran with only google assistant a chance at competing with a ubiquitous Alexa. It doesn’t matter if they have flaws. They are becoming defaults for the internet of things, with the irony that Siri was first.  I don’t now how it can catch up now. I don’t know what went wrong, I suspect it is an alignment of a supply chain guru’s priorities and putting a hardware designer in charge of software. And shafting Forstall.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Sadly, CES looks more and more like proof we have run out of original ideas. The electronics revolution has slowed to a crawl waiting for those forever nuclear batteries they promised us in the 1950s. And ultimately, electronics are a poor substitute for living your life. We're in a funk, and need something wholly new, not just smaller and harder to read.

    Entropys - Jobs was one of the truly rare breed who's vision animated whole areas of technological potential. Apple as a company has had a frustrating habit of proffering, then abandoning good ideas. If you ask me, Siri is following the usual pattern at Apple. What concerns me is are there any actually new ideas coming behind? And I don't mean silly things like facial recognition, or animating yourself using a turd emoji.

    My father was an early adopter with Sony. We had 1/2" reel to reel home video in the 1960s, but Sony ran out of steam after the Walkman. I've been an early adopter with Apple, but Apple ran out of steam after the iPhone. If it's important enough to you, substitute the watch for the phone. The outcome is still going to be the same. Once again, until we move beyond electronics as panacea, folks better get used to ever smaller "innovations." Making ever bigger TVs is small stuff. Internet connected refrigerators...
    radarthekatbaconstang
  • Reply 37 of 58
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    entropys said:
    Back in the day Jobs would launch an exciting new product around this time which would suck all the oxygen out of CES. Good times.

    Nowadays of course there is none of that, and poor old Siri has become an also ran with only google assistant a chance at competing with a ubiquitous Alexa. It doesn’t matter if they have flaws. They are becoming defaults for the internet of things, with the irony that Siri was first.  I don’t now how it can catch up now. I don’t know what went wrong, I suspect it is an alignment of a supply chain guru’s priorities and putting a hardware designer in charge of software. And shafting Forstall.
    I don’t think you can blame Ive. Personally I didn’t think Siri is that bad and it could work for home automation. I just don’t know why they haven’t pursued it. 
  • Reply 38 of 58
    entropys said:
    Back in the day Jobs would launch an exciting new product around this time which would suck all the oxygen out of CES. Good times.

    Nowadays of course there is none of that, and poor old Siri has become an also ran with only google assistant a chance at competing with a ubiquitous Alexa. It doesn’t matter if they have flaws. They are becoming defaults for the internet of things, with the irony that Siri was first.  I don’t now how it can catch up now. I don’t know what went wrong, I suspect it is an alignment of a supply chain guru’s priorities and putting a hardware designer in charge of software. And shafting Forstall.
    Ah yes, because the only innovation in tech is talking assistants that will be used for advertising. Right. Let’s just pretend the X, AirPods, iMP, AW, MBP, and etc don’t exist. Just assistants. That’s all there is now. 
    edited January 2018 jony0h2pbaconstang
  • Reply 39 of 58
    I see VRIng has been banned. Now how are we supposed to know if some people prefer PC rigs to Macs?! He was always so adament about his preference for PCs...it shall be missed. Not. 
  • Reply 40 of 58
    CES used to be the prior week to MacWorld up to —if my mind do not fail— 2007 that they happen in the same week.
    In that week, the iPhone saw the light.
    In CES… nobody paid attention to anything in CES.
    For me… that was the death of CES!
    radarthekath2p
Sign In or Register to comment.