Alpine iLX-F309 equips CarPlay-compatible in-dash receiver with 'floating' 9-inch display

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Alpine has big ambitions for the iLX-F309 in-car infotainment system, as the Apple CarPlay-compatible aftermarket head unit boasts a nine-inch screen that 'hovers' out from the dashboard, allowing it to be installed in vehicles that cannot usually house an oversized screen without customization.

The Alpine iLX-F309 is an AM, FM, audio, and video receiver fits into a 1-DIN chassis, but rather than mount the display flush with the dashboard, the 9-inch WVGA touchscreen instead juts out from the front. This technique allows for a far larger screen to be used than the standard 6.1-inch and 7-inch screens used in aftermarket units.

While Alpine does create other 9-inch and 10-inch models, they are vehicle specific and require special dash bezels in order to keep the layout of the dash intact.

Sticking out front at a 90-degree angle to the unit, the display can be angled in a number of positions during installation, to avoid other dashboard elements or to aid visibility. The screen can also be positioned up to 20 millimeters closer to the dashboard and moved up or down 30 millimeters from its default position, as well as tilted up or down by up to 45 degrees.

In terms of entertainment, the unit is certainly suited for smartphone connectivity, including Apple's CarPlay when connected via a cable to an iPhone, though the wireless CarPlay connectivity found in the iLX-107 is not available in this model. Once connected, the iPhone can provide navigation, music, calls, and messages to the driver through the display and the audio system, with similar functionality also offered for Android phones via Android Auto.

Bluetooth connectivity is included for audio streaming outside of CarPlay, with the unit also including a built-in HD radio tuner and is Sirius XM ready, when used with a compatible tuning kit and subscription. Audio playback of FLAC, MP3, WMA, and AAC files can be performed by connecting a storage device to its USB port, with an AUX input and an HDMI input also provided.

A second HDMI input can be installed using a separately available HDMI Selector, and though the unit doesn't include a built-in CD player, a separate combined CD and DVD player can be attached. A rear camera input can be used to help with judging distance while parking, though the camera is also available separately.

Alpine will be shipping the iLX-F309 through authorized retailers from February, priced at $1,100.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    Alpine is definitely thinking out of the box on this unit. Great way to get a bigger display.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Nice. Now I can’t control the temperature and heated seats.
    cgWerkscornchip
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
     Wonder if I could fit this into the screen on my 2014 Ford Escape Over the Microsoft driven crap 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    It doesn have wireless CarPlay.
    on that matter, Android auto finally has wireless capability, and Kenwood has released a whole line of head units with wireless android auto. Yet CarPlay on these same units requires USB!
    What the hell?

is there something stupid like a proprietary chip or extra licensing cost that is preventing wireless CarPlay?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 5 of 14
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Obviously this has a lot more functionality, but for a hovering unit, you CAN just get a $10 plastic thingie that lets your large iPhone float in front of the vehicle's dashboard. 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    viclauyyc said:
    That sucks. And is also why I select cars with good ole manual controls, they're much better.
    cgWerkslordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 7 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    entropys said:
    on that matter, Android auto finally has wireless capability, and Kenwood has released a whole line of head units with wireless android auto. Yet CarPlay on these same units requires USB!
    What the hell?

is there something stupid like a proprietary chip or extra licensing cost that is preventing wireless CarPlay?
    my 1 year old BMW X5 has wireless CarPlay built right into it...thru WiFi btw.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Scot1 said:
     Wonder if I could fit this into the screen on my 2014 Ford Escape Over the Microsoft driven crap 
    I have a Ford CMax hybrid.   I never cared for the Ford Sync but the entertainment system is an 8 inch screen.
    The back up camera looks great when it takes fills the whole screen.    I was in a rental Escape and it 
    had a horrible 4 inch backup display.   Hated it.    A big screen for my next car is a requirement.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    entropys said:
    What the hell?

I have a Mini Countryman with factory wireless CarPlay . It also has a Qi charger in the centre console.

Very nice , except the spring loaded charger bracket that holds the phone in position is too small for an 8+ in a case - they needed to give it maybe 3-5mm extra travel and it would fit anything.

• Reply 10 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Yes wireless CarPlay works via wifi just like in BMWs and Minis.
    But why do the new Kenwood head units announced yesterday support wireless android auto and not wireless CarPlay?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 11 of 14
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    viclauyyc said:
    That sucks. And is also why I select cars with good ole manual controls, they're much better.
    On-screen controls for vehicle features are typically handled by integration boxes like the iDatalink Maestro. I took the statement to mean he has a car with physical climate controls placed extremely close to the audio head unit. In such a car, the climate controls could be blocked by this unit's screen.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MathieuWacowichMathieuWacowich Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    Living the dream here.

I Have the iLX-107. CarPlay is the way to go (or Android auto if you are bent that way). Would by a car without it, or if it could easily be upgraded/installed. Regarding the cost though, I needed a new Amplifier for it all to connect work with my vehicle so I recommend a little bit of research before going out and buying a new unit.  Especially if your car has a more advanced audio system with navigation already installed.

Wireless is nice to have but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.  If anything, the connection is more stable.  My unit disconnects from time to time, but doesn't bother me too much as reconnecting is dead simple.

I also found a Qi pad that fits nicely and charges my phone via the cigarette lighter plug.

Like I said, living the dream.

edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Living the dream here.

I Have the iLX-107. CarPlay is the way to go (or Android auto if you are bent that way). Would by a car without it, or if it could easily be upgraded/installed. Regarding the cost though, I needed a new Amplifier for it all to connect work with my vehicle so I recommend a little bit of research before going out and buying a new unit.  Especially if your car has a more advanced audio system with navigation already installed.

Wireless is nice to have but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.  If anything, the connection is more stable.  My unit disconnects from time to time, but doesn't bother me too much as reconnecting is dead simple.

I also found a Qi pad that fits nicely and charges my phone via the cigarette lighter plug.

Like I said, living the dream.

I assume you meant to say: "Wouldn't buy a car without it...".
  • Reply 14 of 14
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    viclauyyc said:
    For sure, it would cover a bunch of controls up. But, also, I think my vents would be behind it, so it would be blowing hot/cold air on the back of it. I'm not sure if that would impact it's reliability/longevity, aside from being annoying. (I've heard vent-mounts for iPhones can lead to problems for the iPhone, though maybe it's mainly battery related).

StrangeDays said:
    And is also why I select cars with good ole manual controls, they're much better.
    We recently rented a car (while traveling) that had a big display. I concur, I'd much rather have manual controls. How much different is trying to fiddle with such a control-surface than texting while driving or other such distraction? In fact, the unit threw up a big warning screen you had to 'OK' when starting the car.

MathieuWacowich said:
    Mine plugged into the handy 'obsolete' 3.5mm jack *never* disconnects. Gotta love "progress." :)

It would be nice if the phone worked better, though, without CarPlay. It's like Apple has said, either you buy a new car, adapt to CarPlay, or your iPhone in car experience will suck and be relatively unsafe. If they'd done it right, the experience could be much safer/better in any car.