Video: Next generation iPhone SE 2 may have a glass back for Qi charging

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2018
According to a recent rumor, the next-generation "iPhone SE 2" may feature a glass back just like the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, suggesting it will feature wireless charging.

After debuting an inductive charging solution with the Apple Watch, Apple is moving forward to integrate the technology across its portable device lineup. Along with this year's handsets, wireless charging will make its way to other products like AirPods. In addition Apple is slated to market its own charging pad called AirPower, which can power up to three wireless devices at the same time.

The so-called "iPhone SE 2" could end up looking very similar to the glass-sandwiched iPhone 4 series, and ship in the first half of next year.

An Indian site, Tekz24, recently claimed that the new SE will have the iPhone 7's A10 Fusion processor and 12-megapixel rear camera, along with 2 gigabytes of RAM and a 5-megapixel front camera. The display may come in between 4 and 4.2 inches, with anything bigger than that being a significant change and an alteration of the form-factor.

Tekz24's reputation isn't established however, and a separate rumor hinted that Apple could axe the SE line altogether.

In November, China's Economic Daily News said Apple was moving ahead with plans to manufacture an iPhone SE 2 after the original version saw success as a small-format, low-cost alternative to the larger iPhone 6 and 7 series. While more expensive than many Android smartphones, the 4-inch SE is still Apple's cheapest iPhone, starting at $349. Thanks to a premium build and relatively low out-the-door cost, the iPhone SE has helped Apple gain marketshare in up-and-coming regions like India.

To gain a foothold in the populous country, and comply with local sourcing laws, Apple has tasked manufacturing partner Wistron to produce SE units in India. Wistron is also rumored to be building the "SE 2."

Over 75 percent of smartphones sold in India country cost less than $250, and the iPhone has a marginal share of the local market. It's expected that local manufacturing will help bring down the cost of iPhones in India, but whether buyers will take to the high-end platform remains to be seen.

Apple has asked the Indian government for a number of exemptions following the start of production of iPhones within the country, and Indian officials signaled that they are considering the requests.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    The current SE is quite a gem.
    Great Battery life & small form factor are its greatest strengths 
    impaler80sfotoformatchristopher126cecil444watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'd be surprised if it didn't have Qi charging.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    First half of next year?  2019?
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    So same story as early in the week - now with glass back pixelmated on to the back?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    That would be terrific, and a great way to keep the SE form factor current. Maybe even update the iPod Touch while they’re at it?
    cecil444watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    SendMcjak said:
    First half of next year?  2019?
    apologies. 2018.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    mattinoz said:
    So same story as early in the week - now with glass back pixelmated on to the back?
    This is a video of that story, so, yes.
    mattinozpatchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 13
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Unfortunately my magnetic car mount interferes with wireless charging.

I will try putting the magnetic plate at the very bottom of the phone to see if it still interfere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If Apple wants to keep making 4"er iPhone than let it be edge-to-edge screen. Slight larger variation in size is no issue as it still holds and use as one handed operation iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I have always thought the iPhone SE, Apple Watch, or iPad is best suited for apple to test some new technology. Or to test their new Chip.

The Apple W2 chip, actually provide the Bluetooth and WiFi needed for iPhone SE. The only way Apple is going to ditch Qualcomm, is to use Intel for top end, and likely Mediatek Modem at lower end. And iPhone SE is a good place to start. Or if Apple is serious about getting thier hands on LTE modem they should start somewhere safe. I was hoping Apple Watch 3 was the first step. But may be it still wasn't ready yet.

I think it is kinda odd that Wireless is in iPhone SE, because Wireless charging is expensive.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ksec said:
    I have always thought the iPhone SE, Apple Watch, or iPad is best suited for apple to test some new technology. Or to test their new Chip.

The Apple W2 chip, actually provide the Bluetooth and WiFi needed for iPhone SE. The only way Apple is going to ditch Qualcomm, is to use Intel for top end, and likely Mediatek Modem at lower end. And iPhone SE is a good place to start. Or if Apple is serious about getting thier hands on LTE modem they should start somewhere safe. I was hoping Apple Watch 3 was the first step. But may be it still wasn't ready yet.

I think it is kinda odd that Wireless is in iPhone SE, because Wireless charging is expensive.
    If they couldn't do it for the Series 3 Apple Watch I'm not expecting Apple to be close to being able to include any homegrown wireless chip.

• Reply 12 of 13
    The current SE is quite a gem.
    Great Battery life & small form factor are its greatest strengths 
    Agreed...I have a rose gold (refurb) I picked up for $200. I love it. The best iPhone I've owned and feels so much lighter than my 4 and 4s did. I think it's ~30 mg lighter. It would be nice if it had a bit of a refresh as far as the chassis. Same footprint, but referencing the X style. Hope they keep the rose gold.

If the new one has wireless charging that will make me upgrade. :) To be able to lay it down on my desk at work and by my bedside will be great. Two PowerMats for my AppleWatch, AirPods and a new SE2.

I know it sounds silly, but not having to 'fumble' with cables (Apple hates cables!) and plugging it in is wonderful. I know this b/c I have the Apple round white power pad for my AppleWatch.

I look at the SE as the 'non-Pro' version in the lineup, for lack of a better expression. The X being the Pro (a bit too expensive for me). The same way I view my iPad mini, my rose gold 2017 MacBook, and Series 0 AppleWatch. I've always shied away from the more expensive Pro versions. :)

Life's good! :)
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I hope they don’t enlarge the screen one bit. It’s perfect as is, any larger (for my hands anyway!) would require the uncomfortable hand-shimmy that drove me to ditch the iPhone 6. Want a bigger screen? There’s the 8. But Apple should keep the screen the exact same size for those customers who purposefully choose a smaller form factor, even as it means trading off on the latest tech. Frankly I’d be cool with them shrinking the bezel / form factor slightly — so long as it didn’t bring any loss of battery life.
    watto_cobra