'Galaxy S9' packaging leak hints at single rear camera sensor with variable aperture

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung's upcoming 'Galaxy S9' smartphone may include a dual-pixel rear camera with a variable aperture, according to an image allegedly showing part of the mobile device's packaging, which also claims it to have a similar-sized display to its predecessor, last year's Galaxy S8.

The image, posted to Reddit and shared on Imgur, depicts packaging bearing the name Samsung Galaxy S9, printed on what appears to be material for the side or back of a box. The information printed on the packaging gives supposed details for some elements of the 'Galaxy S9,' but not a complete specifications list.

The top item is the definition of the display as a 5.8-inch panel when measured as a full rectangle, but reduces down to 5.6 inches when measured with the rounded corners, putting it in the same ballpark as the 5.8 inch screen used in the Galaxy S8 and the 5.7-inch claim from other S9 rumors. The document's Quad HD+ listed resolution, defined as 2,560 by 1,440, is marginally lower than the S8's 2,960-by-1,440 display.

The rear camera is featured on the packaging as having a Super Speed Dual Pixel 12-megapixel sensor with optical image stabilization and two apertures: F1.5 and F2.4. While this doesn't indicate a dual camera setup, the dual pixel sensor and two aperture figures suggests it could possibly switch between the two to provide similar features to mobile devices with a pair of cameras on the back.

The rear camera is also listed as having Super Slow-mo, without going into detail about how slow it can go compared to typical slow motion functions in modern smartphones. At the front will be an 8-megapixel autofocus selfie camera.

While there isn't mention of a fingerprint reader, there is a listing for an Iris Scanner on the packaging. Given other rumors, it is possible Samsung may opt to offer iris scanning as an alternative security option, but still retain fingerprints as the main security feature.

The version of the device the packaging is design for apparently has 64 gigabytes of storage, along with 4 gigabytes of memory. Some rumors have suggested Samsung will offer up to 512 gigabytes of storage in select markets after launch.

Other elements for the S9 mentioned on the packaging include IP68 water and dust resistance, wireless charging with a supplied charging pad, and stereo speakers and earphones that are both tuned by Harman subsidiary AKG. While it is rumored Samsung will use a Qualcomm Snapdragon SDM845 processor, it is also possible the company will use the new Exynos 9810 chip, depending on the market and release timing.

Samsung mobile arm chief DJ Koh recently confirmed it will be holding its first flagship launch of 2018 at the Barcelona-based trade show Mobile World Congress, taking place at the end of February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    So no under the screen finger print scanner then?
  • Reply 2 of 29
  • Reply 3 of 29
    And, apropos of nothing, AAPL just hit an all-time high.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    supadav03 said:

and where is the face ID everyone said Samsung would have this year since.
    magman1979racerhomie3watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 29
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    The ONLY thing that caught my eye in this, was the variable aperture lens.

As a semi-pro photographer, this would be a nice-to-have in the iPhone, if it can deliver a tangible benefit, since the lens and sensor are so small...
  • Reply 6 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    What happened to underscreen touch ID ? On top, even smaller android phone manufacturers figured out to place finger id under Camera and not next to it. God have a mercy on Samsung Galaxy S9/+ users. That old iris scan is no thrill either.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

As a semi-pro photographer, this would be a nice-to-have in the iPhone, if it can deliver a tangible benefit, since the lens and sensor are so small...
    Don’t you already kinda have that with the dual cameras on the Plus and X?
    tycho_macuserwatto_cobrabshank
  • Reply 8 of 29
    wood1208 said:
    What happened to underscreen touch ID ? On top, even smaller android phone manufacturers figured out to place finger id under Camera and not next to it. God have a mercy on Samsung Galaxy S9/+ users. That old iris scan is no thrill either.
    The S9 and S9+ are rumored to have the fp sensor under the camera.  These phone have been leaked to hell and back
  • Reply 9 of 29
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    New feature: low fume, clean burning.  
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    supadav03 said:
    One leak I saw a few days ago, the finger print scanner is centrally located under the camera lens. If the leak I saw is the real deal, Samsung is copying the iPhone X with a new dual lens vertical camera.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29

Doesn’t the Plus already do this?
    you should definitely look at the 7 Plus & 8 Plus 
    watto_cobrabshank
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Samsung Mobile is headed by a DJ? No wonder the phone’s getting EKG speakers and headphones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:

It is Apple’s own fault for steering people away from its handsets. Face ID is a HUGE misstep, I’m perfectly satisfied with Touch ID. What’s needed is a 36 MP camera system. Google has made tremendously strong progress with its Pixel 2, but impending Google or Samsung smartphone advancement in market share doesn’t stem from their being superior to Apple. Quite the contrary, it’s the APPLE’s wrong steps that enabled them to steal away customers. Is it really that hard for Apple to grasp that there is a significant market niche that demands not much: simple Touch ID as the lead, superior 36 MP camera on par with pro full-size cameras, and all that packed in 749 $ price tag. At this very moment Apple is in override mode, has to make one step back and cater customers, not make too much of a fuss about it, admit the mistake. Also have a separate channel of support/update for older versions of iPhones, not nudging people to buy new handsets. Now, all this may seem as a moderate suggestion, but it’s not , this a direct order. What counts is not the the Apple’s stance, but rather mine. Therefore, execute on demand and you’ll get the money. Deliver immediately!
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Is it Oxymoron Day? Already!?
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 29
    clock07 said:
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:

It is Apple’s own fault for steering people away from its handsets. Face ID is a HUGE misstep, I’m perfectly satisfied with Touch ID. What’s needed is a 36 MP camera system. Google has made tremendously strong progress with its Pixel 2, but impending Google or Samsung smartphone advancement in market share doesn’t stem from their being superior to Apple. Quite the contrary, it’s the APPLE’s wrong steps that enabled them to steal away customers. Is it really that hard for Apple to grasp that there is a significant market niche that demands not much: simple Touch ID as the lead, superior 36 MP camera on par with pro full-size cameras, and all that packed in 749 $ price tag. At this very moment Apple is in override mode, has to make one step back and cater customers, not make too much of a fuss about it, admit the mistake. Also have a separate channel of support/update for older versions of iPhones, not nudging people to buy new handsets. Now, all this may seem as a moderate suggestion, but it’s not , this a direct order. What counts is not the the Apple’s stance, but rather mine. Therefore, execute on demand and you’ll get the money. Deliver immediately!
    Oh boy.

Just delete ‘Oxy’ In my post above...
    redgeminipaRayz2016watto_cobraStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 29
    clock07 said:
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:

Oh, wow... dude, you're so illiterate. Stop making false claims. 

The overwhelming majority of iPhone X users LOVE Face ID, and most don't even miss Touch ID anymore (myself included). The new UI gestures that come with it are years ahead of any Android offering. Don't hold your breath that Touch ID will come back. If it does, and that's a HUGE IF, it'll be under-glass, as Apple has several patents for it spanning back a couple years.  

36MP phone camera, huh? Do you even know what makes a good camera? I'll give you a hint: megapixels don't always mean that much. There are NO credible phones on the market with that type of sensor. To be good, it's just not physically possible to fit in a phone's chassis. Physics have to apply here. 

Apple supporting older iPhones? NO WAY! WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!! Oh, wait... except Apple is the ONLY company who supports older hardware for a decent amount of time. The 5 year old 5S is compatible with iOS 11. I'm still waiting to see a 5 year old Android device get updated to the latest Android. It's bad enough many NEW Android devices being sold may never see anything past an OS that's 2 years old. Wait... Apple is STILL the ONLY company that keeps the most devices current with OS updates that come direct from Apple, with no middlemen involved. 

Apple's product execution is why Apple HAS THE MONEY. Apple has more money than any other tech company in existence, and Apple doesn't have to sell user data to get any of it.
    anantksundaramwatto_cobraStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 29
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Samsung’s S-series smartphones have been rather underwhelming for the last couple of generations...this seems to continue with S9.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    clock07 said:
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:

Funniest post of the year so far!

👍🏾🤣👍🏾
    pscooter63watto_cobraclock07StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Now, all this may seem as a moderate suggestion, but it’s not , this a direct order. What counts is not the the Apple’s stance, but rather mine. Therefore, execute on demand and you’ll get the money. Deliver immediately!
    Right. This is a direct order from you to Apple is it?

And if they don’t do it, you won’t buy an iPhone?

Right. I’m sure they’ll get right on that. 

Timescales could be tricky though… Hang on…

Right, I’ve got a free slot. How about “ten minutes after the collapse of the entire universe”? Does that work for you?
    pscooter63watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 29
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    clock07 said:
    maestro64 said:
    supadav03 said:

A HUGELY profitable misstep