Drake's 'God's Plan' breaks single-day Apple Music streaming record with 14M plays, Spotif...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2018
Drake just dropped a new track and it's breaking streaming records. Representatives for the rapper on Wednesday said "God's Plan" broke Spotify's U.S. record for the most-streamed song in a single day with 4 million plays, while Apple Music's Zane Lowe seemingly one-upped that announcement by saying the song logged 14 million streams worldwide.

Drake's rep informed Billboard of the new Spotify record earlier today, confirming the track's performance surpassed that of Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do."

While 4 million streams in one day is a significant feat, the Spotify figure is eclipsed by Apple Music's numbers, which saw the track garner more than 14 million plays on Tuesday. Apple Music DJ Zane Lowe shared the news in a tweet on Wednesday.

Breaking Records again @Drake - God's Plan has streamed over 14M times, breaking the worldwide Apple Music first day streaming record https://t.co/va8UqNGQWM

-- Zane Lowe (@zanelowe)

It should be noted that Spotify's 4 million streams are attributed to plays in the U.S., while Lowe's comments apply to worldwide Apple Music numbers. Spotify has not released worldwide figures for "God's Plan," while Apple Music failed to disclose U.S. metrics.

Whatever the final tally, the real winner is Drake, who appears to have another hit album on his hands with Scary Hours.

Since its debut, Apple Music's install base has trailed that of market leader Spotify. In July of 2017, Spotify reported its paid subscriber base stood at 60 million with 140 million active users, a number that has since grown to over 70 million. In comparison, Apple Music notched 30 million paid subscribers as of September 2017, up from 27 million in June of that year.

Beyond "God's Plan," Drake is a long-time Apple collaborator with partnerships dating back to 2015 when he performed as a guest DJ on iTunes Radio. More recently, the rapper is said to be working with fellow musician Future on an undisclosed Apple Music project. Details surrounding the initiative are murky, but the duo is rumored to be interested in original video content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Obviously means Apple is doomed ;-).

People routinely forget that Apple has a global reach, this shows it pretty well.

Still weird that Spotify's US numbers are not higher considering Drake is much more popular in the US than around the world.

Apple's demos are a "godsend" ;-) in all spheres of commerce.
    cornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    foggyhill said:

Apple's demos are a "godsend" ;-) in all spheres of commerce.
    I see what you did there. :-)
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Expect a big jump in Apple Music numbers from the UK shortly, they're PAYING everyone £5 to sign up to the 3month trial just now via Quidco (a cashback site). I signed up to give it a go and sure enough, a day later quidco confirmed the cashback. Win-win.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    adm1 said:
    Expect a big jump in Apple Music numbers from the UK shortly, they're PAYING everyone £5 to sign up to the 3month trial just now via Quidco (a cashback site). I signed up to give it a go and sure enough, a day later quidco confirmed the cashback. Win-win.
    I've done a 3 month trial. Didn't renew.

I cannot wait until a blockchain based alternative makes both, Apple Music and Spotify, obsolete.

>:x
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 5 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Any relationship between rap and actual music is a delusion.   I tried listening to this one.  It sounded like he's on Haldol...   Da, Da, Da, Daa...   Da, Da, Da, Daa...   Shuffle, Shuffle, Shuffle....

I want to use Apple Music to listen to the newest stuff -- but I need a way to block this crap.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mr o said:
    adm1 said:

I cannot wait until a blockchain based alternative makes both, Apple Music and Spotify, obsolete.

Right... Blockchain... Good grief.. 
    franklinjackconjbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Any relationship between rap and actual music is a delusion.   I tried listening to this one.  It sounded like he's on Haldol...   Da, Da, Da, Daa...   Da, Da, Da, Daa...   Shuffle, Shuffle, Shuffle....

I want to use Apple Music to listen to the newest stuff -- but I need a way to block this crap.
    You can. Go to browse in the Applemusic app. Sort by new music. This song didn’t even pop up anywhere for me. I only found it on the search tab “ trending”. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    mr o said:
    adm1 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2017/11/18/blockchain-music-industry/#15fd43ab6a0b Blockchain is going no where.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcs2305 said:

You can. Go to browse in the Applemusic app. Sort by new music. This song didn’t even pop up anywhere for me. I only found it on the search tab “ trending”. 
    I wasn't talking about this song.  I was speaking of rap music.  To me it has no relationship to music.  It's mostly just a lot of thumping sounds.  I wish I could pull up a list of New Music on Apple Music that excludes rap.

Admittedly though, Apple Watch has helped:  I can now just tap my watch to skip to the next song without having to fish out my phone.  But I would prefer to just avoid it in the first place.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    jbdragon said:
    mr o said:
    adm1 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2017/11/18/blockchain-music-industry/#15fd43ab6a0b Blockchain is going no where.
    Why would the music industry, and the banks if you like, embrace a technology that will make them redundant? Of course they will ridicule the blockchain technology, as the author of the article does.

Make no mistake, the blockchain is coming, and faster than you think. This is Apple's opportunity to shift gears and abandon the centralised streaming model. As no one owns the database—the data is distributed and decentralised—Apple can focus solely on the music experience, the software and hardware integration.

The Times They Are a-Changin'!

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/blockchain-disrupting-music-mycelia

edited January 2018
  • Reply 11 of 12
    This is the only drake I know:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mr o said:
    jbdragon said:
    mr o said:
    adm1 said:

Why would the music industry, and the banks if you like, embrace a technology that will make them redundant? Of course they will ridicule the blockchain technology, as the author of the article does.

Make no mistake, the blockchain is coming, and faster than you think. This is Apple's opportunity to shift gears and abandon the centralised streaming model. As no one owns the database—the data is distributed and decentralised—Apple can focus solely on the music experience, the software and hardware integration.

The Times They Are a-Changin'!

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/blockchain-disrupting-music-mycelia

Right.. a wired articles (there are 1000 of wrong articles on hype tech in Wired, it's almost a meme); Also you do know fracking Spotify, Apple Music are more than fucking payment method huh. Doesn't seem like it buddy.