'La La Land' writer and director Damien Chazelle tied to new Apple-funded show

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2018
Apple is continuing its push for unique video content with a new deal signed with "La La Land" writer and director Damien Chazelle.

There is nearly nothing known about the new project, according to the New York Times. No details have been announced regarding season length, terms of the deal, or the concept of the show.

Chazelle will be working with producers Jordan Horowitz and Fred Berger -- who he worked with on "La La Land."

In 2017, Apple also reportedly provided a blank check to Drake for his own shows and movies, and signed a deal with "Star Trek" and "Battlestar Galactica" reboot alum Ronald D. Moore for a new space drama. It is also reportedly paying $5 million per episode on a ten-episode season of "Amazing Stories," a revival of the Amblin Television and NBCUniversal science fiction anthology.

Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine studio is linked to three projects tied to Apple. The first show is as of yet untitled, but features Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston in a drama based on morning show production.

The second show is development of Nichelle Tramble Spellman's "Are You Sleeping," with the "Serial" podcast creator onboard in an advisory role, and Octavia Spencer starring. The third is a sketch comedy show starring Kristen Wiig.

These are all thought to be part of a broader $1 billion investment in original programming, which is considerable but still a lower investment than those of its competitors, such as Netflix's reported $7 billion on original content for 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Oy vey. "La La Land"? Come on. How about signing deals with Jet Li or Vince Gilligan or the estate of Frank Herbert or Robert Heinlein? There's a ton of brilliant people and properties out there just begging to be turned into series ideas or movies.
    edited January 2018 frankie
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Oy vey. "La La Land"? Come on. How about signing deals with Jet Li or Vince Gilligan or the estate of Frank Herbert or Robert Heinlein? There's a ton of brilliant people and properties out there just begging to be turned into series ideas or movies.
    Coming from a background in video production, "La La Land" is a cinematic masterpiece.
    LukeCage
  • Reply 3 of 17
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Coming from a background in video production, "La La Land" is a cinematic masterpiece.

I heard this and heard people talking about what it took to get some of the shots and all the work and thought that went into it. However, I know lots of people who when to see it since they heard all these good things but came away completely disappointed. What this told me, the art came first and foremost and providing something people would like came second. It would be like Apple focusing so much on design that not one like using the product since it did not do what people wanted.

BTW, I did not see it, so this is all third hand, I have yet to talk to anyone who really like it, and some of them are into musicals.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 17
    maestro64 said:

I heard this and heard people talking about what it took to get some of the shots and all the work and thought that went into it. However, I know lots of people who when to see it since they heard all these good things but came away completely disappointed. What this told me, the art came first and foremost and providing something people would like came second. It would be like Apple focusing so much on design that not one like using the product since it did not do what people wanted.

BTW, I did not see it, so this is all third hand, I have yet to talk to anyone who really like it, and some of them are into musicals.
    I thought it was good movie, from a story standpoint my only gripe was how it was ended. Also Damien Chazelle is a young award winning director, who is well liked in the movie industry. This seems like a win win for Apple, having an awarding winning director who is also a writer produce a series for them. Just that alone should give a big respectable boost to Apples oringinal content efforts. 
  • Reply 5 of 17
    maestro64 said:

You should definitely check it out and see for yourself. It's the type of movie that has the potential to be named a classic, decades into the future. Unlike some movies that are tuned to please our current generation and end up fading away years later because of it. 
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Oy vey. "La La Land"? Come on. How about signing deals with Jet Li or Vince Gilligan
    Jet Li? Uh yeah, La La Land has far broader appeal than kung fu.

And Apple already has two execs from the Breaking Bad team. 
    edited January 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 17

maestro64 said:
    I heard this and heard people talking about what it took to get some of the shots and all the work and thought that went into it. However, I know lots of people who when to see it since they heard all these good things but came away completely disappointed. What this told me, the art came first and foremost and providing something people would like came second. 
    You got all that because friends of yours didn't like it? Sorry but your sample pool is way too small to be significant. Judging by the acclaim, people liked it. Doesn't matter what you or I think. 

Rottentomatoes backs this up, critics and audiences:

edited January 2018
  • Reply 8 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The movie has its moments and it fine (but not fantastic); it's a bit clunky at trying to recreate a genre but that comes from being a real musicals buff, so I'm not a typical viewer for this kind of film.

These kinds of showy halo movies are the kind of things many "studios" use to get a higher profile, to make a splash.
    Recruiting someone in demand like that and many others (like Reese who is batting very well on the production side) means Apple is very serious about this and it is also taken seriously by the industry.
    If I were Amazon, Netflix or even ABC and Disney, I'd be a bit worried about that cause it means they'll have to pay more for everything and will likely have one or several good shows not go their way.
    frankielolliver
  • Reply 9 of 17
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

maestro64 said:
    I heard this and heard people talking about what it took to get some of the shots and all the work and thought that went into it. However, I know lots of people who when to see it since they heard all these good things but came away completely disappointed. What this told me, the art came first and foremost and providing something people would like came second. 
    You got all that because friends of yours didn't like it? Sorry but your sample pool is way too small to be significant. Judging by the acclaim, people liked it. Doesn't matter what you or I think. 

It’s overrated.  Cinematography beautiful, but damn boring🙁.
    Whole movie should have been about John Legend’s character and music.

frankie
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Jet Li?

Did you say Jet Li?

And what timeless classics does Jet Li have in his director/writer portfolio?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 17
    “And the winner for best actor goes to … PADDINGTON BEAR! … No, wait a minute, hold on… I think this might be a mistake… No! It’s okay! It’s Paddington! Get up here ya little fuzzy bastard!”

Best way to avoid last year’s weirdness: hand out the trophies in an unlit car park. 
  • Reply 12 of 17

k2kw said:

maestro64 said:

Can’t understand why it was such a massive hit if you didn’t like it. 🤔
    lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 17
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    maestro64 said:

You should definitely check it out and see for yourself. It's the type of movie that has the potential to be named a classic, decades into the future. Unlike some movies that are tuned to please our current generation and end up fading away years later because of it. 
    I liked it but it got less musical and more movie with songs as it went on. And more arthouse. You would expect more from a movie that started with the song Another Day of Sun - strong choreography and basically a belter. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 14 of 17
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Rayz2016 said:

k2kw said:

maestro64 said:

Can’t understand why it was such a massive hit if you didn’t like it. 🤔
    Marketing and bankable stars.  $150M box office isn't so "massive" just good.

I'd take Hidden Figures over this 10 days of the week.   Even Manchester by the Sea was much better.   If you want to see light hearted fare I'd take any Disney animated film over this.
    frankie
  • Reply 15 of 17
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    maestro64 said:

Yeah but not really. It basically stole several of the best scenes from previous actually good musicals and remade them.  On top of the that a musical needs good music and 99% of the music is forgettable.

• Reply 16 of 17
    Oy vey. "La La Land"? Come on. How about signing deals with Jet Li or Vince Gilligan
    Jet Li? Uh yeah, La La Land has far broader appeal than kung fu.

And Apple already has two execs from the Breaking Bad team. 
    Jet Li has a massive global audience who appreciates his work and to get technical, it’s “wushu”.
    lolliver
  • Reply 17 of 17

maestro64 said:

Who cares what Rotten Tomatoes scores a movie? Look at the box office for 2017:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2017&p=.htm

If Apple wants to compete (and they will be competing with all other producers of long-form and televised entertainment), they will need hits.
    edited January 2018