internet sharing.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Heres another post from me, sorry

I have my first mac on order and would just like to know this final thing pls.

I share my broadband connection with my dad, currently on windows boxes, is it possible for my dad on his windows box to share my broadband con and printer through my OSX machine? I know this can be done the other way around through rendeavous (cant spell) as well as share folders, but i cannot for the life of me find anything for the other way around. Pls help as i would like to get rid of naughty windows completely.

thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    In OS X jaguar, you can software-route your internet connection without a problem. I believe you could setup your machines so that the Mac acts as a DHCP server, and the windows box as a DHCP client. DHCP is heaven-sent for network-illiterates.

With regards to your printer, I wouldn't dare to make the same claim. There are many factors which have to be taken into account: is it an IP network printer, or an AppleTalk printer, or an USB printer, or whatever. Furthermore, I'm not sure about the print-sever capabilities of Jaguar. Maybe somebody else here will know more.

About the internet I'm sure however: if you have the latest system installed, there will be no problem (although I WOULD advise you to get a hardware router for sharing broadband: it doesn't put strain on your computer's 'resources' (in this case, the routing Mac), and the routing capabilities are ALWAYS available (meaning: you can switch off/put to sleep your mac). Four ports ethernet routers these days cost 100 dollars, or 130 euros.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the info,

Unfortunately i have one of those alcatel usb modems, but i'll be giving it a try as soon a si get me mac. The printer is a HP usb deskjet895cxi. I'll certainly have fun.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    If it is of any help, there is a 'share Printers' option in Jaguar, that will (logically, I am guessing here) enable the sharing of usb printers. Yet I repeat: I do not what provisions you need in Windows, or in Mac, for that matter.

Also, I do think there are routers available with an usb port for your modem. (I might be mistaken).