Next-gen 6.1-inch LCD iPhone again predicted to outsell OLED models

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    ksec said:
    Are you suggesting Apple lifting iPhone SE price? Which is $349 now
    The current line up is already quite complex in my opinion. I hope Apple take a chance to slim line it.

I think given this quarter results, It shows there are quite a few who are willing to paid $1000+ for a phone. So may be the iPhone 6.5" will be $1200. But I dont think 2017 iPhone X will stick around.

$1200 iPhone X w/6.5” display
    $1000 iPhone X w/5.8” display
    $750 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?) Don't see this price with current trend. It replaces the $799 phone.
    $600 iPhone 8 Why kill 1 year-old 8+? Make no sense. $600 iPhone 7 Plus Why? $500 iPhone 7

$300 iPhone SE

May be even the iPhone 7 and Plus will be gone and replaced by iPhone 8 Series.
    So the mid tiers starts at $500, and if you want absolutely best, Apple has top end iPhone starting from $999 / $1000.

P.S - While that makes sense, the weakening of US dollars will have large impact to overseas pricing. Not sure how Apple will weight on this.

I still think they will keep current iPhone X with discount next year and no refresh model, but new 6.5" (iPhone X+?) one in top tier at $999. They may just kill the 8/8+ in 2019 and release another LCD-iPhone X style with 5.2"-5.5":
    $999 iPhone X+
    $899 iPhone X
    $799 6.5" LCD iPhone 9+?
    $699 iPhone 8+
    $599 iPhone 8
    $499 iPhone SE2

• Reply 42 of 43
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    ksec said:
    Are you suggesting Apple lifting iPhone SE price? Which is $349 now.

The current line up is already quite complex in my opinion. I hope Apple take a chance to slim line it.

If they update the iPhone SE this year, I think they will have to push the price to $400 or even $450, especially if it is an A11. If they leave it unchanged, which is very much possible, maybe even $300 is possible. But it really should at least have 3D Touch. If this rumored 6.1” LCD model doesn’t have Touch ID, that will be frustrating.

I think given this quarter results, It shows there are quite a few who are willing to paid $1000+ for a phone. So may be the iPhone 6.5" will be $1200. But I dont think 2017 iPhone X will stick around.

$1200 iPhone X w/6.5” display
    $1000 iPhone X w/5.8” display
    $750 iPhone w/6.1” display (iPhone 9?)
    $600 iPhone 8 $600 iPhone 7 Plus $500 iPhone 7

$300 iPhone SE

May be even the iPhone 7 and Plus will be gone and replaced by iPhone 8 Series. 
    So the mid tiers starts at $500, and if you want absolutely best, Apple has top end iPhone starting from $999 / $1000.

It’s definitely pretty tough to figure out Apple’s lineup if they are going to ship 3 new models.

The rumored features from KGI, mind that they can change rumored features as we go along here, are really strange: no 3D Touch and a single back camera, but with iPhone X ID and Face ID. A single back camera? That’s like a 6S Plus. Put an A9 or even A10 SoC and 32 GB storage in it, you can price it at $600. But if they did this, they would be abandoning the manufacturing investments in the 7 Plus and 8 Plus as I would imagine this new 6.1” model would vastly outsell them. Why do that?

If this rumored 6.1” is priced at $750 with an A12 SoC, but with no 3D Touch and a single back camera, what the what? How will that be better than a year old 8 Plus with 2 back cameras and 3D Touch. Just weird. Just an odd set of choices Apple is giving customers if the rumors are true. Single back cam means no “zoom” feature, and probably no Portrait or Portrait Lighting features. Those are tent pole iPhone features.

So, slotting it in at the $800 price point, and assuming it has a 2 back cameras, or a single camera capable of Portrait mode and Portrait Lighting, and 3D Touch is the most sensible thing to me. KGI has got wrong in some way. The $900 can either be left empty or used for the 2017 iPhone X. 2018 X models can be >$1000. The <$700 price tiers are then left to the usual n-1 and n-2 iPhone models.

Apple sells about 200m iPhones a year. At that level of sales, they should have a lineup with a lot of models serving as many niches as possible. I would like to see something like:

$1000 6.5” w/X industrial design (Face ID, 3D Touch, OLED screen, dual back cam)
    $900 5.8” w/X ID
    $800 5.3” w/X ID, single back cam
    $700 4.5” w/X ID, single back cam
    $600 5.5” classic Touch ID design
    $500 4.7” classic Touch ID design
    $400 4.0” classic Touch ID design

These X sizes have footprints corresponding to the 4” 5/5S/SE, 4.7” 6/7/8 models, the 2017 X, and the 5.5” Plus models. They all should have Touch ID support.

I’d even go one more model size with something like 7.5” 2.17:1 model at $1200. This would be 3.7” wide, about the size of an envelope. Not pocketable, but more useable than an iPad mini imo because you could thumb type on it in portrait.

• Reply 43 of 43
    bathurststbathurstst Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    My god, can these analysts please stop. Just stop. They’ve been proven wrong in the past and here they are predicting the future with products that don’t exist. Please, for the sake of us all, please stop.