Apple considering whether to offer rebates for full-price iPhone battery purchases

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2018
Apple may offer rebates to people who bought a full-cost replacement iPhone battery to get around throttled performance, according to a newly-published response from the company.

One of the questions submitted in January by Sen. John Thune -- chairman of the U.S. Senate Commerce Committee -- was whether Apple was exploring the possibility of rebates, Recode said. Apple's response was released on Tuesday.

"Yes, we are exploring this and will update you accordingly," wrote Cynthia Hogan, Apple's VP for public policy in the Americas.

AppleInsider can confirm that the current policy for AppleCare phone support is to cut prices to $29 for any battery installed since Dec. 1, but only for customers who specifically request this through phone support.

In late December Apple relented to public pressure after its admission that it was slowing down iPhones with weak batteries. The company has reduced out-of-warranty battery replacements from $79 to $29 through the end of 2018, and this spring iOS 11.3 will finally offer more control and data for power settings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Interesting. I had my iPhone battery replaced. It supposedly was at 86% capacity (as reported by Coconut battery), but it seemed to run out quickly. I also had 400+ charge cycles on it. For $29, it was worth a try, especially because I'm planning to keep the phone for another 9 months at least.

Anyway, when it came time to pick up the phone, there was no charge. I don't know why, but it made me happy.

My battery life is definitely better now, too.

edited February 2018 racerhomie3seanismorrisbshank
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    What exactly needs to be explored? It seems obvious to me. Apple have sufficient funds available and need to resolve ongoing PR  issues. As Apple has discover this battery matter has unforeseen consequences. The stop gap response in refunds will just cause more disquiet. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dws-2 said:
    Interesting. I had my iPhone battery replaced. It supposedly was at 86% capacity (as reported by Coconut battery), but it seemed to run out quickly. I also had 400+ charge cycles on it. For $29, it was worth a try, especially because I'm planning to keep the phone for another 9 months at least.

Anyway, when it came time to pick up the phone, there was no charge. I don't know why, but it made me happy.

I had a problem with the embedded sim on my IPad.  The Apple Store gave me another IPad free of charge.

Apple is generally very good about taking care of their customers.  That’s why their handing of the battery situation was so perplexing...

It’s good to hear they’re now making an effort to reestablish goodwill.  The issue probably just needed to make its way up the ‘food chain’ at Apple.

Well done Apple!
    bshankairnerd
  • Reply 4 of 7
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Thank you for offering to replace my iP6s+ battery for $29.  I will take you up on this when the backlog clears up.

bshank
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    dws-2 said:

Had a similar situation with the GF's older son back in September of last year... He got the message on his iPhone 6 saying the battery needed to be replaced. It was purchased from AT&T, and at that point was about 13mos out from purchase from AT&T ( he's a high school kid and the 6 was the right price when he needed a new phone ) . Anyway... I questioned the battery needing to be replaced so soon. I said that seems a little weak to me and a 13 month old phone shouldn't need the battery replaced with just around 400 charge cycles? I was told by the Apple Store rep that the phone could have sat for the last year at AT&T before it was sold, and that they had no idea how AT&T handle their stock?

I didn't like the answer, but the kid needed a new battery as he was dealing with the phone shutting off, and then jumping back to 30% as soon as it's charged and just general iffy performance. So we had the battery service done for $79.00 and the phone was/is as good as new.

I am now wondering it is worth contacting Apple to get a refund for the difference?

• Reply 6 of 7
    jcs2305 said:
    dws-2 said:

Had a similar situation with the GF's older son back in September of last year... He got the message on his iPhone 6 saying the battery needed to be replaced. It was purchased from AT&T, and at that point was about 13mos out from purchase from AT&T ( he's a high school kid and the 6 was the right price when he needed a new phone ) . Anyway... I questioned the battery needing to be replaced so soon. I said that seems a little weak to me and a 13 month old phone shouldn't need the battery replaced with just around 400 charge cycles? I was told by the Apple Store rep that the phone could have sat for the last year at AT&T before it was sold, and that they had no idea how AT&T handle their stock?

I didn't like the answer, but the kid needed a new battery as he was dealing with the phone shutting off, and then jumping back to 30% as soon as it's charged and just general iffy performance. So we had the battery service done for $79.00 and the phone was/is as good as new.

I am now wondering it is worth contacting Apple to get a refund for the difference?

Is a phone call worth $50?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    My husband and I both had our iPhone 6/6S plus batteries replaced on Dec 8 and 12, 2017 respectively at the recommendation on the technicians at the store. We just called apple support based on reading this article and after waiting on hold for over an hour their Senior Advisor told us that the cutoff date was Dec 14 so we were not eligible for a refund. The article says Dec 1 but thats not what they told us when we called and there was no escalation path. (It also took hours to get my husband’s phone done at the time because they broke his phone and had to get him a replacement). We are not too happy with Apple at the moment. 
    edited February 2018