Apple HomePod shipping estimates slip in US after first reviews go live

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's online store is showing constrained HomePod supply in the U.S. after early reviews of the device went live on Tuesday, with orders placed today estimated for delivery by Feb. 12 at the earliest.

Prior to Wednesday's slip in availability, American customers were able to preorder HomePod for delivery on launch day this Friday.

As seen in the screenshot above, Apple's online storefront is now forecasting a delivery window between Feb. 12 and Feb. 13 with free two-day shipping. The company is not offering expedited shipping options at this time as HomePod is scheduled to hit store shelves on Feb. 9.

Word of constrained launch day supply arrives one day after a number of major outlets published their respective reviews of Apple's latest gadget. Most critics lauded the speaker's audio quality, a feature advertised by Apple at the device's unveiling, in promotional material and by company executives in subsequent interviews.

While HomePod sounds good, the speaker was unable to address the shortcomings of Siri, Apple's virtual assistant that in many ways lags behind competitors from Amazon and Google. Interacting with the device via its multi-microphone array is a superior experience, reviewers said, but Siri itself disappoints.

Others found the lack of connectivity to outside services a negative. At launch, HomePod is limited to Apple Music, iTunes and podcasts. Users can play music from other services over AirPlay, but the speaker lacks built-in integration present in competing devices like Amazon's Echo.

Today's U.S. preorder stockout follows similar constraints seen in Australia and the UK, where launch day HomePod supply has been sold out for days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Waiting (im)patiently for a Canada launch date.
    chasmAirunJaeMacsplosionneil andersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Are the USA times slipping bc of a sellout or bc it is 1 day from launch and early next week only makes sense?
    watto_cobrabonobob
  • Reply 3 of 50
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    clarker99 said:
    Are the USA times slipping bc of a sellout or bc it is 1 day from launch and early next week only makes sense?

The dates could've been pushed back due to Apple anticipating very low inventory and setting expectations accordingly. Even if you ordered Wednesday, two day delivery should be Friday or Saturday. If they don't sell out, then the delivery date may very well change after the order is placed - this happens often.

The new dates tell me they're probably expecting new shipments over the weekend, so this is not something that's going to drag on like we saw with the AirPods.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    clarker99 said:
    It could be either or both, but I'm leaning toward the latter since this occurred after Wednesday's normal business hours which would mean processing on Thursday and then one-day for delivery on Friday, so Monday is the next normal shipping day.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Butt but not many people will buy the expensive HomePod! No?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 50
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Apple UK on line now showing delivery 14 February 
    AirunJae
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    fallenjt said:
    Butt but not many people will buy the expensive HomePod! No?
    Well, I’m sure people are buying them, but it does depend on how many Apple manufactured in the initial run. 

Apple will probably keep early numbers quite tight so they can pick up any manufacturing defects. 
  • Reply 8 of 50
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I'm receiving mine on Friday--can't wait!
    AirunJaewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 50
    iCintosiCintos Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Yes, the Siri aspect comes up short in the reviews.... but Siri comes up short on the iPhone/iPad, too, and they still sell well. As for the limitations of content, well it is for the Apple Ecosystem, stupid. The reviews generally seem to be from folks that think it is a fail simply because it can't stream pandora or spotify. I say, who cares?
    mike1equality72521AirunJaetechprod1gywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 50
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    A speaker with exceptional sound...who would have thought? 
    jdgazmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 50
    techrulestechrules Posts: 53unconfirmed, member
    It is baffling why Apple does not just fix Siri. Or an idea would be for them to just use the Google Assistant on the Homepod and it would sell like crazy.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    iCintos said:
    Yes, the Siri aspect comes up short in the reviews.... but Siri comes up short on the iPhone/iPad, too, and they still sell well. As for the limitations of content, well it is for the Apple Ecosystem, stupid. The reviews generally seem to be from folks that think it is a fail simply because it can't stream pandora or spotify. I say, who cares?

Except iPhones aren’t sold as personal assistants/home automation hubs

”ecosystem”, except for everything in iTunes (I don’t have to run upstairs to my iMac to play music with Sonos)
  • Reply 13 of 50
    HomePod was ordered about 15 minutes after the Apple Store opened up for business two weeks ago tomorrow. Yet here we are one day to go and I still don't have a tracking number from Apple. But the "Your Orders" webpage says "Next Day Shipping" so I guess it's premature to start being concerned. If it makes it on a plane this evening from a distribution warehouse, I guess I should get it tomorrow. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 50
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This has to mean they didn't make enough HomePods, therefore Apple is missing out on important sales. Doomed! /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 50
    I have a feeling about a million of us are going to be glad we pre-ordered. :smile: 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 50
    larrya said:
    iCintos said:

Except iPhones aren’t sold as personal assistants/home automation hubs

”ecosystem”, except for everything in iTunes (I don’t have to run upstairs to my iMac to play music with Sonos)
    However Siri performed well in that regard. You shouldn't have to run upstairs if you're using iTunes, Spotify as long as you have your phone near by. You can stream those from your phone to HomePod via AirPlay. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    macxpress said:
    techrules said:
    It is baffling why Apple does not just fix Siri. Or an idea would be for them to just use the Google Assistant on the Homepod and it would sell like crazy.
    Apple isn't going to use anything Google. Google doesn't even begin to fit into Apple's privacy initiative. Not even close! Don't touch anything Google with a 100ft pole! There's a very good reason why Apple killed basically all Google services on their platforms. Google fucked themselves on that. 
    Except for Google search if you use Siri, or Safari, or Mac Spotlight. Or Google Double-Click ads if you read Apple News. 
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/202137
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/25/apple-switches-from-bing-to-google-as-default-search-platform-in-siri-ios-search-and-macs-spotlight
    http://adage.com/article/digital/apple-news-testing-doubleclick-ads-publishers/310695/

Some particular fans have more of an issue with Google than Apple themselves do since they seem to shoehorn into "Apple's privacy initiative" just fine. 
    edited February 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 50
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    techrules said:
    Apple isn't going to use anything Google. Google doesn't even begin to fit into Apple's privacy initiative. Not even close! Don't touch anything Google with a 100ft pole! There's a very good reason why Apple killed basically all Google services on their platforms. Google fucked themselves on that. 
    Except for Google search if you use Siri or Safari. Or Google Double-Click ads if you read Apple News. 
    Thats why you change search to Duck Duck Go. Works just as well and no tracking. 
    mike1patchythepirate
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If you can't see your post, please take a minute to look at the commenting guidelines, conveniently posted at the bottom of this, and every, forum page.

You may have gotten caught up in the dragnet, or you may have been the source. If you have any questions, message me.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    MacRumors has a HomePod article which includes details on how to track your UPS Next Day Air Saver HomePod shipment even if Apple still shows "Preparing to Ship." All you need is the phone number associated with the order.

Worked for me, a nine pound package scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Friday) by end-of-day. 
    AirunJaezroger73