Flipboard CEO knocks Apple News for closed ecosystem, says product is 'living in the past'...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    I used Apple News a couple times and wanted to like it but I ended up back at FlipBoard on my iPhone 7.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Apple News is the future.
    I have not used the Flipboard app since 3 years
  • Reply 23 of 60
    I don’t know much about FlipBoard or its CEO, but I can confidently say that I do not look at Apple News, at all. I go directly to the handful of sources — WSJ, NYT, The Guardian, AI, The Economist — I turn to every day and I have need for little else.

I think Apple may have been way late to the news game anyway. And, given that they really have no way or desire to monetize it — either through ads or a subscription — it’s just not clear to me what purpose it really serves in the Apple ecosystem. Seems like a bit of wasted effort.
    See, now I totally enjoy Apple News because it allows me to custom what I see. I want a lot af science news, especially microbiology news. I like a lot of Apple news, which I get too along with the WSJ, NYT and other great news sources... thank you Apple for bringing me this news source!
    mike1
  • Reply 24 of 60
    I don’t use either. What’s the point? I don’t need someone to curate news for me. Plus I’d rather read news in the browser than have to use a special app.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    slurpy said:
    "Apple News as a product is living in the past," McCue said. He added that the service lacks social sharing capabilities"

Not every fucking product needs to centered around "social sharing" garbage. I used to use flipboard a few years back, I don't touch it anymore. I love Apple News, it's well designed and has the filtering features I need, with minimal junk.  If my main priority is "social", I'll just sift through the garbage in my facebook feed. 
    This! I don't want social media on every god damn site I go to. Its like social media is being shoved down everyone's throat. Can't we just read a news article and move on to the next one? 
    mike1
  • Reply 26 of 60
    I don’t know much about FlipBoard or its CEO, but I can confidently say that I do not look at Apple News, at all. I go directly to the handful of sources — WSJ, NYT, The Guardian, AI, The Economist — I turn to every day and I have need for little else.

I think Apple may have been way late to the news game anyway. And, given that they really have no way or desire to monetize it — either through ads or a subscription — it’s just not clear to me what purpose it really serves in the Apple ecosystem. Seems like a bit of wasted effort.
    I too go directly to the source.   I have a list 6-10 sources that I review each day.  Each gives a different set of news items and some provide a different perspective on the same items.

But, I only do that because, being retired, I have the time as well as the interest to be able to do that.
    If I were working, Apple News would probably be my main and probably only source of news.

I look back with nostalgia at the days when we could turn on Walter Cronkite and knew that we were getting complete and accurate news.  But back then, with a few exceptions, we didn't have warring internal forces trying to tear the country apart.  Yes, we had differences of opinion -- from McCarthy to Wallace to King to the protesters at Kent State and the flower children of San Francisco.  But those were differences of opinion rather than warring factions manipulating truth to serve their personal agendas...
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 27 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Actually Apple DOES have a desire to monetize and follows through on it with ad targeting... 
    and in part using your Apple data to do so.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205223
    https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/General/Conceptual/News_Advertising/PolicyAndBrand.html
    edited February 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 60
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    If Apple's News app is as flawed as Mike McCue asserts that it is, then Flipboard should be able to crush Apple's offering very easily. Why would the CEO of a company point out the weaknesses of a competitor's product rather than moving decisively to exploit these weaknesses to his company's own advantage? This is sadly laughable and begs the question "why is this person the CEO of said company?" The only far reaching possibility that I can imagine is that he realizes his company is doomed and wants to negotiate an arrangement, perhaps a takeover by Apple or a partnership with Apple, that would preserve some semblance of continued employment for himself and his staff. Again, as CEO these types of deals should be brokered through less publicly visible means rather than spilling his guts and whining pathetically in front of his industry peers and potential customers. Bad move. 
    lkruppmike1
  • Reply 29 of 60
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    "He added that the service lacks social sharing capabilities, said there's "no curation happening ..."

All of which makes News a better fit for me. I don't give a hoot about sharing news or being shared with nor do I want them deciding what I might or might not like to see. Apple News got much better when they finally allowed me to choose my sources and exclude everything else.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    I tend to disagree with his assessment, and not sure how Apple News would be anymore "closed" than FlipBook - it's just a negative word that can be thrown around without justification.

For You: Algorithmically generated articles from a range of viewpoints, based on your likes and generally does a good job of suggesting new fields to follow as well. I.E. Avoids echo chambers.
    Spotlight: Lots of interesting topical news, that isn't locked into a single editor's prerogative or bounded by a single topic. Providing wider information than just directly subscribed interests.
    Following: Literally curated content, except by external parties instead of apple. This is where you see the largest bias, and it's not dissimilar to following a blog, or reading just one newspaper.
    Search: How I find alternative views about the same news topic - again, something that isn't genuinely possible via human handling due to the volume of news sources.

If Flipbook is relying on curated content, then that is too idealistic. The staff will invariably introduce bias, they are stretched over too many topics to be sufficiently detailed and their breadth of research will always fall short of good AI.

FlipBook just need to stop seeing other apps as competitors, I'm not struggling for storage space.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Apple news is pretty bad...yeah that is all I have.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I am glad to see you are staying within your news bubble. And I did see your "i used it for a week and it was not good" comment, you do know that Apple evolves their products over time. Maybe next time you offer an opinion make sure you tell everyone it based on nothing more than distance observations. Just so you article have ads and some content provide blast you with ads to they are definitely making money on ads, Apple is not but that is not their business model.

Here is what I learn about Apple News over the last few years of using it, Apple must be using AI within it, I notice the news articles were being served up in a way that appears to be close to my reading habit. Just to give you an idea, when I was looking at more CNN article it served up even more of this content and similar content as well as when when the elections were happen I tended to read more political content now that is all I am getting. which bother me since it was only giving me one view. Then I started looking at Fox to get the counter view and it switch to more Fox content. But I just upgraded to iOS 11 and they redid news completely and I think Apple is now trying to avoid the news bubble issue that people like yourself fell into. Even though I have particular content preferences, Apple is serving up a variety of content providers which I kind of like since I am now reading stuff I most likely would not have gone out and searched for. 

• Reply 33 of 60
    Agree with those who tried FlipBook when it was first out and recommended, but found I never used it. When AppleNews showed up I got addicted. No, I don’t NEED someone to curate my news, but it’s convenient. Besides, by my own reading habits I am curating it myself. Still read a paper newspaper every day and online NY Times. I like the sources that show up on AN, especially sciences. 
  • Reply 34 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    maestro64 said:

I am glad to see you are staying within your news bubble. And I did see your "i used it for a week and it was not good" comment, you do know that Apple evolves their products over time. Maybe next time you offer an opinion make sure you tell everyone it based on nothing more than distance observations. Just so you article have ads and some content provide blast you with ads to they are definitely making money on ads, Apple is not but that is not their business model.

Here is what I learn about Apple News over the last few years of using it, Apple must be using AI within it, I notice the news articles were being served up in a way that appears to be close to my reading habit. Just to give you an idea, when I was looking at more CNN article it served up even more of this content and similar content as well as when when the elections were happen I tended to read more political content now that is all I am getting. which bother me since it was only giving me one view. Then I started looking at Fox to get the counter view and it switch to more Fox content. But I just upgraded to iOS 11 and they redid news completely and I think Apple is now trying to avoid the news bubble issue that people like yourself fell into. Even though I have particular content preferences, Apple is serving up a variety of content providers which I kind of like since I am now reading stuff I most likely would not have gone out and searched for. 

But isn't curated news just the type of thing that is being raised as a red flag with Facebook, Google, etc? Being fed only the news that you've demonstrated an interest in reading, and that typically would agree with whatever you wish to believe, is being touted by some as dangerous to society.

And yes Apple is monetizing your data (aka selling you) with their ad platform in Apple News. Tip'o the toes wiggling in the water so to speak. 
    edited February 2018 anantksundaram
  • Reply 35 of 60
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Flipboard was fun when it came out but the amount of clickbait became annoying so i deleted the app. Why do you need soclal sharing for newsitems?
  • Reply 36 of 60
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    I use AppleNews for quick overviews the day’s events from multiple sources, then I tend to apps or websites from a few that I subscribe to get to in-depth info. Frankly, I appreciate that Apple News de-emphasizes the social media angle. I guess you can share stories from it, but you can also just read things without being immediately bombarded by everyone’s opinion about the things. I recognize the irony that I’m posting an online comment that says we should pay less attention to online comments, but we really should.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 37 of 60
    It sounds like what the Flipboard CEO wanted to present as a disadvantage is the exact reason I like using Apple News. The content is tightly controlled so its not mired in "Fake News" like other platforms, including Flipboard are.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    maestro64 said:

I notice you come here a lot: do you get AI (by which I mean AppleInsider) on AN? How often?

And, while I loathe their stuff, what about Breitbart News and the like? Or is it essentially same pile of stuff that shows up in Google News? Leaving aside the issue of privacy, what exactly is different about AN compared to GN in terms of coverage, ability to customize, or dig deeper? I am still mystified.

Btw, I don' know what you mean by "news bubble" -- I don't think you mean it as a compliment -- but the spectrum of my news sources, from The Guardian to the WSJ, covers a pretty darn good range of viewpoints. In fact, I am guessing it covers a vast majority of political and economic viewpoints one might encounter in normal, civilized, day-to-day life. I can't stand the news outlets representing the extremes on either side.

Add: And, even though I stopped looking at it after the first week or so, I am on the mailing list for AN, so I get a blast of all the key/highlighted new items every week. I've never really noticed anything there that I have not already seen during then week. Haven't clicked on a story once!
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Since Apple News launched, I've deleted about 10 news apps/websites that I used to visit daily. Apple News took just over a week to learn what I liked and since then, I don't use any other service. I couldn't care for using separate apps/sites now.
    Solimike1
  • Reply 40 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    maestro64 said:

I notice you come here a lot: do you get AI (by which I mean AppleInsider) on AN? How often?

And, while I loathe their stuff, what about Breitbart News and the like? Or is it essentially same pile of stuff that shows up in Google News? Leaving aside the issue of privacy, what exactly is different about AN compared to GN in terms of coverage, ability to customize, or dig deeper? I am still mystified.

Btw, I don' know what you mean by "news bubble" -- I don't think you mean it as a compliment -- but the spectrum of my news sources, from The Guardian to the WSJ, covers a pretty darn good range of viewpoints. In fact, I am guessing it covers a vast majority of political and economic viewpoints one might encounter in normal, civilized, day-to-day life. I can't stand the news outlets representing the extremes on either side.

Add: And, even though I stopped looking at it after the first week or so, I am on the mailing list for AN, so I get a blast of all the key/highlighted new items every week. I've never really noticed anything there that I have not already seen during then week. Haven't clicked on a story once!
    1) I don't know what the OP meant by "news bubble" since I didn't read the comment, but even if you're reading a a wide array of media if you're still only reading the same select sources—no matter how much they may differ—it could still be defined as a bubble since it's still the same outlets. It's like if I all I read was AppleInsider, AndroidCentral, and ZDNet for tech news; they all have a very different focus, but only reading those three is still a bubble unto itself. I like Apple News because I get access to sources I'd either never actively look for and sometimes didn't even know existed.

2) I'd try to give Apple News another chance. That isn't to say that you should remove any of your current media sources, but you may have find that it adds some depth to what you are reading while also being convenient.
    edited February 2018 roundaboutnow