Jaguar compatable USB Hub

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm having trouble finding a 4 port USB hub that will be gauranteed to support Jaguar. Most makers have hubs that say OS 8.xx-OS X but they don't specify what version of OS X. I go back and forth between Jaguar and straight 9 and I need a hub that will work in both. Any suggestions? Macally makes a nice USB2 hub <a href="http://macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/ihub2.html"; target="_blank">http://macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/ihub2.html</a>; but macs don't support USB2, and it only supports OS 9 with USB1 devices, so I don't even understand why they make this product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I had no idea you had to have a hub that supported a specific operating system. I'm using some ugly as hell Xircom four port powered hub. It works fine...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>I had no idea you had to have a hub that supported a specific operating system. I'm using some ugly as hell Xircom four port powered hub. It works fine...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Me too (well mine's from when they were still Entrega or whatever). It workws fine in Jaguar. My dad's cheap no-name 4 port hub works fine in Jaguar too.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I have a cheap little self-powered (via USB connection) 4 port hub that works flawlessly under MacOS 9.2.2 and MacOS-X 10.2.2

I got it at Staples for under $20.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i love my MacAlly iHub7. 7 powered ports, and supports keyboard startup (in case you come across a keyboard with a power button that you want to use.

i have heard the original ihub, though, kinda sucks and is buggy as hell.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Do USB hubs have a separate power supply?, or should I plug USB devices that have their own power supply(printer, camara) into the hub so that the ones that need electricity(external floppy, keyboard) can be plugged straight into the computer?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by xionja:

<strong>Do USB hubs have a separate power supply?, or should I plug USB devices that have their own power supply(printer, camara) into the hub so that the ones that need electricity(external floppy, keyboard) can be plugged straight into the computer?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Some USB hubs (powered ones) have their own power supply.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    You can obtain powered and unpowered USB hubs. Basically, if you have a powered hub you can plug in even more devices that draw their power directly from the USB chain. The powered hubs aren't that much more, so I buy them.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    I have a "Typhoon" 4 port hub with power supply (produced by Anubis) and it works fine and was very cheap,under $20.

As long as it says "Mac" on the box you should be OK.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i have also heard that the best hub for a while was the iceview (i think that was the name) from xlr8. it had a load meter which was great for helping to determine weirdness int he usb chain, slowdowns, etc. it got rave reviews from everyone. xlr8's out of business now, but i bet you could find the hub used on ebay (kinda hard to f*ck up a hub, after all...)