Microsoft 'Photos Companion' iPhone app allows for easy transfer of pictures to Windows 10...

Posted:
in iPhone
Seeing a need in education, Microsoft has developed an app to pull all the pictures off multiple iPhones and mobile devices and store them locally on a central Windows 10 machine.

Microsoft's "Photos Companion" was developed after the company witnessed students capturing images and videos in a classroom setting during the Windows 10 re-design. The company saw difficulty in getting the content that students had captured with personal iPhones and Android devices to a central project PC.

The new app supports direct wireless transfer between any mobile device and the Photos app on a Windows 10 PC. It does not isolate one user's photos from another, so there may be privacy concerns, but the app isn't intended to sweep a device clean, with the transfer of select photos initiated from the mobile device, and not the computer.

To transfer, users scan the QR code that the computer's Photos app presents. Photos for transfer are then selected on the device, and the photos and videos are then sent to the PC over wi-fi.

The app itself is small, requiring only link text">28MB of storage space, and is compatible with any iOS device capable of running iOS 10.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    Dear Microsoft, 
     We would like to congratulate your company for actually developing a functional app; but why aren't you supporting the people who actually own a pc, you do know they are all running windows 7? Probably not. You should know the reason why they don't upgrade is because you charge for the latest windows version and the people I know aren't paying for windows update, they are buying or have bought new iPads. Your business model _ucks.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That would be a nice feature to incorporate into Apple's iOS ecosystem -- to be able to pull specific photos.

But overall, I prefer the iCloud control center which automatically pulls every photo from the iCloud to my Windows PC harddrive.   That gives me 3 storage pools of photos:  my iPhone, the iCloud and my harddrive (well, 4 if I include the File History backup of that C: drive) without me having to do anything but snap the photo.
    watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I'm sure that this won't end well. How many er hmmm Pron pictures will get hoovered up by this?
    Then the person running the server may well be guilty of distributing Pron and/or Child Pron.

• Reply 4 of 15
    The version necessary isn't available in the Microsoft Store... I simply wanted to try it as an easy way for my windoze clients to import pix to their desktops.  Let me guess, I need an insider build or something... Grrrr
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Not a normal poster here, but this app makes me want to weigh in...I like the concept...problem is someone else has already done what this app offers only better. 

Check out http://rambax.com/simpletransfer

There's a free and a paid version, but honestly the ease of use is so much better with Simple Transfer than this app.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 15
    petieg said:
    The version necessary isn't available in the Microsoft Store... I simply wanted to try it as an easy way for my windoze clients to import pix to their desktops.  Let me guess, I need an insider build or something... Grrrr
    I doubt you will find many other iPhone apps in the Microsoft Store, either.  You might have better luck in Apple's App Store.
    MacPro
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    That would be a nice feature to incorporate into Apple's iOS ecosystem -- to be able to pull specific photos.

But overall, I prefer the iCloud control center which automatically pulls every photo from the iCloud to my Windows PC harddrive.   That gives me 3 storage pools of photos:  my iPhone, the iCloud and my harddrive (well, 4 if I include the File History backup of that C: drive) without me having to do anything but snap the photo.
    Ya, I don't see a real need to this myself. I'm doing the same thing. But all my Pictures are also backed off site using Carbonite. It's backing up anything throw into my picture directory's all on it's own. Plus I'm using Amazon Pictures, which does the same thing. Backs up all the pictures I take on my iPhone and backs them on on their servers. Which is a free service as part of being a prime member, and they are left alone as Original. They are not processed, shrunk down like what Google does.

After losing some pictures in the past, I'd rather be on overkill. You should at least have a backup of your pictures off site!! House burns down or someone steals your PC, you may lose some or all of your pictures.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    zomp said:
    Dear Microsoft, 
     We would like to congratulate your company for actually developing a functional app; but why aren't you supporting the people who actually own a pc, you do know they are all running windows 7? Probably not. You should know the reason why they don't upgrade is because you charge for the latest windows version and the people I know aren't paying for windows update, they are buying or have bought new iPads. Your business model _ucks.

This app would be worthless if you didn't own a PC. So I'm not sure what you're getting at. Lots of people live in the Microsoft/Apple Universe. I've been a long time Windows user since Windows 95, and have a custom built Windows 10 computer I built. yet I have zero interest is a Surface tablet. I love my great 12.9" iPad Pro. It just works. I don't have to deal with Firewalls, Anti-Virus software, Malware Software, Reinstalling the OS every so often as it gets flaky or slows down more and more. Many people work on their PC's and then move to the iPad. I see this as a great way to quickly dump a picture I've taken on my iPhone to my work PC, something I'm doing ALL THE TIME, instead of having to plug it in and copy it over that way.

Windows Cost MONEY to make. Of course they have to charge. Many company's make Windows Computers. If they didn't charge, they would be losing a lot of money and go out of business. Where as Apple is the only one making Mac's and so just gives it away these days like iOS and not charging from Upgrades. Which by the way, once you get Windows 10, that's it. It's always FREE Updates as there's no future Windows 11. So once you Upgrade to Windows 10 or buy a new PC with Windows 10, that's it. You'll never be paying for Windows Updates ever again. You'll just pay for Windows 10 when you buy a new computer.

Hell you could have gotten Windows 10 for FREE until the end of last year, just saying you used Microsoft's "assistive technologies" which is something I did on the free Windows 7 Laptop I got last year. Now it's locked into free Windows 10 updates forever. I can wipe it, Reinstall Windows and it'll activate on it's own.
    edited February 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jbdragon said:
    zomp said:
    Dear Microsoft, 

This app would be worthless if you didn't own a PC. So I'm not sure what you're getting at. Lots of people live in the Microsoft/Apple Universe. I've been a long time Windows user since Windows 95, and have a custom built Windows 10 computer I built. yet I have zero interest is a Surface tablet. I love my great 12.9" iPad Pro. It just works. I don't have to deal with Firewalls, Anti-Virus software, Malware Software, Reinstalling the OS every so often as it gets flaky or slows down more and more. Many people work on their PC's and then move to the iPad. I see this as a great way to quickly dump a picture I've taken on my iPhone to my work PC, something I'm doing ALL THE TIME, instead of having to plug it in and copy it over that way.

Windows Cost MONEY to make. Of course they have to charge. Many company's make Windows Computers. If they didn't charge, they would be losing a lot of money and go out of business. Where as Apple is the only one making Mac's and so just gives it away these days like iOS and not charging from Upgrades. Which by the way, once you get Windows 10, that's it. It's always FREE Updates as there's no future Windows 11. So once you Upgrade to Windows 10 or buy a new PC with Windows 10, that's it. You'll never be paying for Windows Updates ever again. You'll just pay for Windows 10 when you buy a new computer.

Hell you could have gotten Windows 10 for FREE until the end of last year, just saying you used Microsoft's "assistive technologies" which is something I did on the free Windows 7 Laptop I got last year. Now it's locked into free Windows 10 updates forever. I can wipe it, Reinstall Windows and it'll activate on it's own.
    Good post!  I agree!
    But at the risk of stealing the thread, how do you reinstall Windows after you wipe your C: drive?  I've done that many times using a CD or DVD, but without an OS, you wouldn't be able to download Windows 10 to even be able to install it.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    jbdragon said:
    zomp said:
    Dear Microsoft, 

Good post!  I agree!
    But at the risk of stealing the thread, how do you reinstall Windows after you wipe your C: drive?  I've done that many times using a CD or DVD, but without an OS, you wouldn't be able to download Windows 10 to even be able to install it.
    OK not what you wanted to hear ... but ...  One simple solution is to only ever run Windows on a Mac.

You can always down load the Windows ISO image on the Mac side and use it to reinstall Windows on a partition.  I have Windows 10 on five Macs with the  simplicity of booting to either High Serra or Windows 10 at any time and never having to worry about the frustrations and limitations of the PC hardware.  My Mac Pro cylinder absolutely flies in Windows 10 and I can use the dual GPUs.  Any moans about Macs costing more is easily offset by pointing out you have a twofer.

Full Disclosure I own a shit load of AAPL and therefore want you and others to by more Macs ;)
    edited February 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Good post!  I agree!

Before wiping your boot drive, download the most recent ISO and burn it to a DVD.  Or create a bootable USB drive, with the Windows installer on it. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    MacPro said:
    jbdragon said:
    zomp said:
    Dear Microsoft, 

Good post!  I agree!
    OK not what you wanted to hear ... but ...  One simple solution is to only ever run Windows on a Mac.

You can always down load the Windows ISO image on the Mac side and use it to reinstall Windows on a partition.  I have Windows 10 on five Macs with the  simplicity of booting to either High Serra or Windows 10 at any time and never having to worry about the frustrations and limitations of the PC hardware.  My Mac Pro cylinder absolutely flies in Windows 10 and I can use the dual GPUs.  Any moans about Macs costing more is easily offset by pointing out you have a twofer.

Full Disclosure I own a shit load of AAPL and therefore want you and others to by more Macs ;)
    You can also make Windows boot media from a Mac.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Good post!  I agree!

Before wiping your boot drive, download the most recent ISO and burn it to a DVD.  Or create a bootable USB drive, with the Windows installer on it. 
    Thanks!  I had looked for something like that when I first updated to Windows 10 but didn't find it -- or maybe thought is was to install directly from the download rather than being able to create a DVD for later.

I have that safe, warm and fuzzy feeling now...   :)
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Good post!  I agree!

Thanks!  I had looked for something like that when I first updated to Windows 10 but didn't find it -- or maybe thought is was to install directly from the download rather than being able to create a DVD for later.

I have that safe, warm and fuzzy feeling now...   :)

If your Win10 installation was upgraded from Win7 during the free upgrade period, you might have to talk to MS about the key.  Using a Win7 key might not work with a clean installation of Win10.  However, in every case I where encountered this, MS provided a new key free of charge, especially if the user called before wiping and installing.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    MacPro said:
    jbdragon said:
    zomp said:
    Dear Microsoft, 

Good post!  I agree!

You can also make Windows boot media from a Mac.

Also I've used WintoUSB via VMWare to create externally bootable Windows drives for years.  Prep the drive using MiniTool Partition Wizard (EFI and main partitions).  Both utilities free and very fast.  The MacOS is irrelevant as long as you can run a VM with Windows to then run these utilities.  Any EFI issues can be fixed with EasyUEFI although I rarely hit any.  I always use SSDs over USB 3 to do this and the entire installation is only minutes.  As Mike says, only use an Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft as the installation source for WintoUSB.  Only caveat is any externally made Windows Boot disk will not upgrade when there is a major Windows edition jump as it is booted over USB.  I just download the latest ISO and redo them as it's so fast.