Apple urges users to send money to friends with Apple Pay Cash, upgrade to iOS 11.2

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2018
Apple on Thursday sent an email blast to iCloud users and customers on record advertising the ability to send money to friends using Apple Pay Cash, the company's peer-to-peer money transfer service that was introduced in December.

In its email promotion, Apple touts Apple Pay Cash as a safe, easy and fast method of sending and receiving money from other iOS device owners.

"Now you can use Apple Pay to pay and get paid right in Messages, or by asking Siri. Split a bill. Pay a babysitter. Send cash to your son in college. Just make sure you and your friends are using the latest version of iOS and you're ready to go," Apple says.

The email goes on to detail the service, noting Apple Pay Cash is integrated directly into iOS. Users are therefore not required to download a separate app, and can use cards already provisioned with Wallet.

As Apple explains, money received via Apple Pay Cash is added to an Apple Pay Cash card that users can apply to purchases wherever Apple pay is accepted. Alternatively, users can transfer received money to a bank account if such assets are linked within the Wallet app.

A section at the bottom of the email provides an easy to follow, three-step guide detailing how to send and receive money in Messages from iPhone. The instructions are an abbreviated version of more detailed guides found on Apple's Support Pages covering Apple Pay Cash payments, which explain similar methods involving Apple Watch and iPad.

Finally, Apple urges customers to upgrade to iOS 11.2, a requirement if users want to access Apple Pay in Messages.

Apple unveiled Apple Pay Cash at last year's Worldwide Developers Conference, but the feature failed to make it into the final build of iOS 11 when the OS launched in September. The company ultimately activated the service in December as part of iOS 11.2.
slprescott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Apple, I will take dividend via Apple Cash. 
    cornchippeterhartbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Cool !!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 38
    In other news, AI is continuing its emulation of such 'amazing' blogger sites as The Verge and Cnet with hyperbolic titles.
    baconstangStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 38
    My wife and I tried sending money to each other via ApplePay Cash. It worked as easy as could be. However, the only thing we could do was deposit to our banks because when we tried to use it at the usual places we pay with Apple Pay, the transactions were declined every time. I contacted Apple and walked through all their steps, and nothing they suggested remedied the problem. 
    cornchipdouglas baileychiaxamax
  • Reply 5 of 38
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Love AP/C.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 38
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Seems that Apple Pay Cash is available only in the US.  If they can make it so I can transfer cash without any fees cross-border, that will be a positive improvement.
    mizhouchiawilliamlondonchasmwatto_cobraxamax
  • Reply 7 of 38
    f1ferrari said:
    My wife and I tried sending money to each other via ApplePay Cash. It worked as easy as could be. However, the only thing we could do was deposit to our banks because when we tried to use it at the usual places we pay with Apple Pay, the transactions were declined every time. I contacted Apple and walked through all their steps, and nothing they suggested remedied the problem. 
    Interesting. Have you tried again recently or have you sort of given up trying for now?

I was minorly annoyed when sending cash to someone is Apple Pay Cash that it was first drawing the money out of the Apple Pay Cash card and then paying the balance with my debit card. I wanted to keep the balance I had on the Apple Pay Cash cards and only use debit but that didn’t appear to be an option. So it drew the APC card down to 0 and then took from my debit. 
    douglas bailey
  • Reply 8 of 38
    I’d like to pay my rent ($5000) and my landlord is cool with it and it would make life so much easier however it’s maxes out at $3000. Maybe I can make two payments back to back, however awkward.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Canada Please

see I said please 

canadian
    douglas baileytokyojimuwilliamlondonchasmauxiobrian greenwatto_cobralostkiwikudu
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    brakken said:
    In other news, AI is continuing its emulation of such 'amazing' blogger sites as The Verge and Cnet with hyperbolic titles.
    Agreed. 

I once caught them trying out the “You will be amazed by THIS product” title format. They quickly changed it. 

As a a rule of thumb, I ignore any article on any site that has the word “finally” in the title. 
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Australia Please.
    lolliverwatto_cobrakudu
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Australia Please.
    All over the world please. I’m having friends scattered around the globe & it would be great to do business with them & don’t have to pay PayPal fee for once. 
    douglas baileylolliverchiawilliamlondonscafe2watto_cobralostkiwixamax
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Rayz2016 said:
    brakken said:
    Agreed. 

I once caught them trying out the “You will be amazed by THIS product” title format. They quickly changed it. 

As a a rule of thumb, I ignore any article on any site that has the word “finally” in the title. 
    Has the title been changed here because I don’t find it particularly hyperbolic. 

I agree about the “finally” headlines as well as the ones that can be answered with “No”. “Is Apple actively tracking its users by using frequent locations?!?”
    radarthekatcgWerkslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 38
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    matrix077 said:
    Australia Please.
    All over the world please. I’m having friends scattered around the globe & it would be great to do business with them & don’t have to pay PayPal fee for once. 
    Do you believe that Apple Pay should allow currency exchange for free?
    baconstang2old4fun
  • Reply 15 of 38
    hentaiboy said:
    matrix077 said:
    Australia Please.
    It’s not about currency exchange fee though. For example if you send money from Canada to Asia you’ll have to pay like CND 7.00 first before anything else, or something to that effect. It’s really obscene. 
    The point is this is the main income for PayPal while for Apple it’s just another service. They don’t have to be desperate. 

edited February 2018 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    hentaiboy said:
    matrix077 said:
    Australia Please.
    I deposit dollars (a US Check) into my Dollar account at a bank here in the Philippines.  Only when I withdraw from that Dollar account or transfer from it to my Peso account at the same bank so I deal with F/X (and in those cases there is no fee).  

So maybe Apple Pay Cash could support transfer in the sender’s currency to recipients with an Apple Pay Cash card that is denominated in the same currency.  Th n the recipient could transfer the money into an account denominated in that same currency, and then deal with F/X when withdrawing or transferring from
    that account.  Maybe that’s the way it already would work if the cross-border restriction were removed.  
    edited February 2018 watto_cobraxamax
  • Reply 17 of 38
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    AppleInsider said:
    "Just make sure you and your friends are using the latest version of iOS and you're ready to go," Apple says. 
    Umm, but if I use PayPal, it doesn't matter what platform/device they use.
    (That said, I'd happily dump PayPal the moment something better comes along.)

Still, I suppose with Apple bugging me, my bank bugging me, etc.... I should probably bother to set it up one of these days, at least to attempt to better understand what all the fuss is about.

Rayz2016 said:
    Oh come on... it's  what (almost) all the Internet content gurus tell you to do.

hentaiboy said:
    Now THAT would make it take off real quick!

• Reply 18 of 38
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Once a month I go with the team mates at work to a nice restaurant to have our lunch.  One of us pays the total bill and the others pay him/her back.  Currently we use the person to person payment functionality that is developed by a consortium of all Belgian banks and that is built in the different mobile banking apps of these banks.  This is a great solution: it is free of charge for the user, it works with any Belgian bank account on any smartphone (iOS, Android and even Windows Mobile). 

I don't see any added value of a system that will only work with iOS devices and with the banks that subscribed to Apple Pay.  Although I have an iPhone, and iPad and Macs, I will never consider a person to person payment system where I am not sure I can use it versus a system where I am 100% sure that I can use it, even if the user interface of the latter might be not as smooth.

LatkogatorguycgWerksxamax
  • Reply 19 of 38
    The annoying thing about Apple Cash is that the attached “credit” card must actually be a debit card. My ATM/credit cards do not include debit features because of the potential liability for losses upon theft. So, to use this, I had to agree to the lesser protection of a debit card. Not a great trade-off. 
  • Reply 20 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    cropr said:
    Once a month I go with the team mates at work to a nice restaurant to have our lunch.  One of us pays the total bill and the others pay him/her back.  Currently we use the person to person payment functionality that is developed by a consortium of all Belgian banks and that is built in the different mobile banking apps of these banks.  This is a great solution: it is free of charge for the user, it works with any Belgian bank account on any smartphone (iOS, Android and even Windows Mobile). 

I don't see any added value of a system that will only work with iOS devices and with the banks that subscribed to Apple Pay.  Although I have an iPhone, and iPad and Macs, I will never consider a person to person payment system where I am not sure I can use it versus a system where I am 100% sure that I can use it, even if the user interface of the latter might be not as smooth.

First, you should exclusively have friends who also have iPhones.  Once you’ve accomplished that, the rest should be easy.  😜
    peterhartwatto_cobracgWerksxamax