If you're having problems with iOS 11.2.6 and your AirPods, disconnect them, then re-link ...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2020
Reports are circulating that some users are experiencing odd behavior from connected AirPods following the iOS 11.2.6 update -- but there's an easy fix and it will only take a few minutes.

It's not clear why problems are manifesting. While the reports of problems are rare, some users are reporting the same channel coming from both AirPods, and others are noting problems with assigned controls. Regardless of the reason, the answer is to disassociate the AirPods with the connected iPhone, and then connect them again to a host device. Here's how to do it.

In the iPhone's Settings, select Bluetooth and tap on the AirPods. Tap Forget This Device.

The iPhone will then tell you that it will remove the AirPods from all the devices on an iCloud account. Tap Forget Device to wipe out the pairing.

After the process is complete, there's nothing else you have to do but pair them with the iPhone again, through the normal means.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    No problems with the phone and AirPods but trying to connect them to my Watch has been annoying me in the last few weeks.
    jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 19
    mavemufc said:
    No problems with the phone and AirPods but trying to connect them to my Watch has been annoying me in the last few weeks.
    I’ve had the same thing, especially when finishing an exercise with the iPhone and Watch both close. 
  • Reply 3 of 19
    f1ferrari said:
    mavemufc said:
    I’ve had the same thing, especially when finishing an exercise with the iPhone and Watch both close. 
    Mines just annoying when I'm at work, can't have my phone on me so sometimes I connect the AirPods to my Watch to listen but lately they haven't been pairing.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Yeah I have some weird behavior from my AirPods as well, not finding the iPhone or only playing one channel.

it is quite noticeable as they are usually rock solid. I guess it sticks out more when the performance has almost always been outstanding before this. 
    equality72521jahbladeflyingdp
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jsmythe00 said:
    mavemufc said:
    SMH I expect nothing less from buggy ios
    And yet the fix for this is trivially simple. 
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jsmythe00 said:
    kruegdude said:
    jsmythe00 said:
    mavemufc said:
    Quite true, but it's just another bug on top of another bug etc.  It just "doesn't" work.  I didn't invest into iOS for a bug ridden system. That's what I left windows mobile for years ago .

They keep this wuality issue up and you'll see an uptick in android x sales.
    This is a refrain I've been hearing for 10+ years.

"If Apple doesn't stop slipping, you'll see an uptick in [competitor]'s sales."

I mean... do you want a list of show-stopping bugs in software from Apple, Google, and Microsoft? It's perennial.
    Soliracerhomie3
  • Reply 7 of 19
    What are they doing at Apple. IOS 11 is the worst, how they got the most innovative company award putting out buggy software this year is amazing. In years past they have been there but not in recent history.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    fbicking said:
    What are they doing at Apple. IOS 11 is the worst, how they got the most innovative company award putting out buggy software this year is amazing. In years past they have been there but not in recent history.

innovation does not mean perfection, try not to confuse the two things.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 9 of 19
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The question is, once the un-pairing and re-pairing is done do you have to go into your setting and set up how you want the airpod to work. Need to know this since I know the wife will not be happy if she runs into this problem.
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 10 of 19
    My ones are fine.
    If you have a problem , I would suggest doing a restart first.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    i was right to wait out on these recent updates. pairing nightmares! ugh, apple, clean up your software!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    jsmythe00 said:
    kruegdude said:
    jsmythe00 said:
    mavemufc said:
    Quite true, but it's just another bug on top of another bug etc.  It just "doesn't" work.  I didn't invest into iOS for a bug ridden system. That's what I left windows mobile for years ago .

They keep this wuality issue up and you'll see an uptick in android x sales.
    I suspect that outside of these types of forums quite the opposite conclusions are made. 
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    My ones are fine.
    If you have a problem , I would suggest doing a restart first.
    "While the reports of problems are rare, some users are reporting the same channel coming from both AirPods, and others are noting problems with assigned controls."
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Wait for it... “Apple is Doomed.” Which is why Warren Buffett just doubled down on Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    In terms of upgrades, name one software company that has not had to release fixes? The issue is not bugs or the need for upgrades, that comes with the territory. The issue IS how SOON does the company react to the bugs with fixes.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    It just works, no issues here with my iPhone SE and wired apple ear buds. Old Skool for the Win! Instant pairing with no issues for 25+ years. :smile: 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Shouldn't the Airpods "just work"? Why should we have to jump through hoops to get around Apple's bugs?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    grangerfx said:
    Shouldn't the Airpods "just work"? Why should we have to jump through hoops to get around Apple's bugs?
    FTW! Just like we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get our TVs, dishwashers, washers, dryers, cars, to get around those bugs. They should just work.

Brilliant.