Best deal on a G4 dual 1.25Ghz right now?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've pretty much decided to buy a dual G4 1.25Ghz for my video editing needs. What is the cheapest (yet reliable) place to purchase? I am new to the Mac world, so I don't know the shopping tricks, if any.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well.....I suggest you to wait for a few more weeks.

Who knows what we are going to see in January.

I also don't recommend people to buy the PowerMac especially to the Dual 1.25 one at this time not because of the MW thing....it's the price. At the current price it's a real big ass ripoff.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Moving this purchasing advice thread to General Discussion...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I suspect a small speed bump is coming in January, so if nothing else you might want to wait a few weeks to make sure you can't get the same machine for less from Apple.

That said, I have made some connections recently that would allow me to purchase any of the duals for $400 to $800 less than their retail prices. Extrememly tempting, but either way these things are still bandwidth starved so I'm thinking it might be a good idea for me to wait as well.

After the new year I won't be able to get *quite* as good a deal, but still between $300 and $450 off whatever prices Apple sets. Or I could save even more and just buy a Sonnet upgrade.

Decisions, decisions.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    $800? Buy it and go to eBay. Use the profit towards a newly revved model in January. You will make money, GUARANTEED.

That'll be $5, please.

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Murbot...looks like you have forgotten your situation