How to watch the Oscars & behind-the-scenes streams on Apple devices this weekend

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
People wanting to watch the Oscars will have a number of live options when the event unfolds on Sunday. Here's how to stream it on a Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.

For red carpet and backstage footage, people will be able to stream through the Oscars website, ABCNews.com, or the Facebook pages for ABC and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. Hosts will include Sofia Carson, Wesam Keesh, Chris Connelly, Ben Lyons, and Adnan Virk.

Things will become a bit trickier if you want to watch the actual awards ceremony, which starts at 5 p.m. Pacific time, 8 p.m. Eastern. ABC is the exclusive TV network for the event, which means you'll need an authenticated cable, satellite, or internet-based TV subscription if you want to watch legally.

Cord-cutters can use services such as Sling TV, YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, Hulu, and DirecTV Now. In fact if the Oscars are all you care about, you can likely sign up for a free trial and cancel before any fees kick in.

With a subscription in tow, you now have the option to watch via ABCNews.com or the ABC News app for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. Be sure that you're taking advantage of Apple's single sign-on feature -- on iOS devices, available through the TV Provider menu in the Settings app.

On an Apple TV, load the Settings app, select Accounts, TV Provider, and then Sign In.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    you'd have to pay me to watch this crap.  And I'm not cheap.
    edited March 2018 allmypeopleentropys
  • Reply 2 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I’ve not watched any Hollywood award shows for years thanks to the execrable politicization and propagandizing by the participants, but hey... free speech.
    edited March 2018 macseekerallmypeopleentropys
  • Reply 3 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    rwx9901 said:
    you'd have to pay me to watch this crap.  And I'm not cheap.
    While not a scientifically derived list (how can it be?) there are several categories that are worth looking up if you enjoy movies. Some films may artsy or Hollywood insider to the point that it only appeals to that crowd, but usually there are plenty of enjoyable films that get nominated. My personal favorite this year is Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I’ve not watched any Hollywood award shows for years thanks to the execrable politicization and propagandizing by the participants, but hey... free speech.
    Translation: "I don't like hearing opinions different than mine." 

That's fine. I don't listen to AM talk radio for the same reason. I personally don't watch award shows because I find them boring.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

That's fine. I don't listen to AM talk radio for the same reason. I personally don't watch award shows because I find them boring.
    The monologues are usually solid comedy, which are done at the beginning. Plus, all the newsworthy clips can be found right away online if anything interesting actually happens which makes me wonder what's going on with their ratings.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I’m on board with critics here. My tolerance of overpaid, over indulged, hypocritical narcissists would be permantly destroyed after only a few moments’ viewing of the royal arrivals, let alone the cringefest inside. 

SpamSandwichmacseeker
  • Reply 7 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Wrong... and it's offensive you'd assume that about someone you don't know.

I've heard their opinions and I disagree strongly with them. I'm under no obligation to listen to deliberately offensive people whose opinions I disagree with.

Here's a question for you:  When's the last time you attended a pro-(insert here the name of a person or cause with which you strongly disagree) rally?
    edited March 2018 macseeker
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 616member
    If someone is going to watch the award show they had better do so soon. The ratings for these self-serving political insult shows have been sinking for years. At some point the networks will bail and move them to a cable channel to wither and die.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 11
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Slightly OT, but yesterday NYTimes piece on streaming of Oscar award winners mentioned Netflix and Amazon options, in fact almost read like an ad for Amazon with its superior choice of Meryl Streep flicks. Not a peep about Apple's offerings.

Funny how of the media lately loves to play up Apple's "walled garden" as if 800 million-plus users is niche. Yet when it comes to Amazon's Prime members well that's mainstream, despite being only about 100 million members, and in the course of 3-4 years can cost you more than an iPhone.

Edit: NY Times piece was 02MARCH2018
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I use to enjoy shows like this. When the Hollywood elites decided to turn all the shows like this into a political hate fest, I had to stop. It’s really disgusting to hear what comes out of their mouths. I’ve never looked towards them for their political “genius” in the past and it’s more so now. 
    SpamSandwich