'Made For i' branding may be shifting focus from iPod to iPhone and iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2018
Apple appears to be in the midst of slightly changing the "Made For i" program iconography, with new graphics signifying if a device is made for an iPhone, the iPhone and iPad, or the entire iOS lineup.

According to information provided to Chargerlab, the single icon signifying universal iOS compatibility is being retired, and is being replaced by one of three new MFi placards. If the information is accurate, manufacturers have 90 days to update packaging with the new graphics -- but devices already in the retail chain are likely not subject to the change requirements.

AppleInsider was not able to confirm the change on Saturday afternoon, nor has Apple's page on the matter been updated to reflect any alteration.

The "Made for i" or "MFi" program was originally launched in 2005 for iPod accessories. The program equips third party manufacturers with authorized hardware components, tools, documentation, technical support, and the ubiquitous Made for iPhone, Made for iPad, and Made for iPod certification logos seen on officially-sanctioned accessories hanging in Apple's venues and other retail stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MFi needs better policing. There are a lot of Chinese companies that are licensees who have affiliates that make and sell the products. Many of them you see on Amazon and Groupon and most are utter crap.

I did buy a 10' cable, had it plugged into a 12 watt iPad charger and while unplugged from my iPhone, the lightning end melted. All of the packaging showed MFi, the retailer also told me that they were a legitimate MFi manufacturer but I didn't trust them and returned the cable. 

I dont know if Apple tests actual products "in the wild" that claim to be MFi and shut down the counterfeit ones. 
    racerhomie3jcs2305cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 7
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Good , I always buy the MFi stuff.
    edited March 2018 Anilu_777
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    MFi needs better policing. There are a lot of Chinese companies that are licensees who have affiliates that make and sell the products. Many of them you see on Amazon and Groupon and most are utter crap.

I did buy a 10' cable, had it plugged into a 12 watt iPad charger and while unplugged from my iPhone, the lightning end melted. All of the packaging showed MFi, the retailer also told me that they were a legitimate MFi manufacturer but I didn't trust them and returned the cable. 

I dont know if Apple tests actual products "in the wild" that claim to be MFi and shut down the counterfeit ones. 
    I think more and more knock off fake label MFI stuff is creeping up on Amazon & Groupon. If a knock off company can print Sennheiser on their packaging/product and get sold on Amazon as Sennheiser brand, why not the same with the MFI labeling?  They know damn well they can sell more with the MFI designation printed on the packaging. Also considering that Amazon sells books with full instructions for installing KODI don't expect any type of policing of product quality/integrity anytime soon. 

https://www.amazon.com/How-Install-Kodi-Firestick-2018/dp/1973517051/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1520739702&sr=8-10&keywords=amazon+fire+stick+kodi

At one point they were even allowing them to be sold already jailbroken form other sellers, but I think that may have stopped. I just did a search and nothing came up directly from Amazon. 
    racerhomie3cornchiprandominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 525member
    What I love is the MFi hearing aids. Apple worked with the hearing aid manufacturers to make it right. When my patients tell me they have an iPhone, I know that they can get a superior experience out of their hearing aids due to the solid connectivity. They can receive phone calls, stream music and control the aids with an app. Whether they’re 40 or 80, they’re always thrilled!
    williamlondonracerhomie3cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Some of my cables are "Made for iPhone iOS10, iPod iOS10, iPad iOS10 but not iPhone iOS11, iPod iOS11, iPad iOS11"
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 6 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    You can still buy an iPod touch. It’s AUD$299 . Although, why not pony up a few dollars more for an iPhone 5S (new) I don’t know. You can find them. You don’t have to activate the sim, but the point is you could, and you have GPS for games that use it.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Still see the branding cause some confusion here in the UK; "MFI" was the name of a major furniture store trading since the 60s - it's brick&mortar presence died just a few years back but the name is still very present in peoples minds as many still have MFI kitchens or bedrooms in daily use.