Apple Pay collection plate being considered by the Church of England

Posted:
in iPhone
Looking to modernize, over 16,000 churches belonging to the Church of England are beginning to accept Apple Pay and Google Pay from congregations.

The Church is trying to appeal to younger parishioners, many of whom may no longer carry cash, BBC News reported. A trial took place in about 40 churches last summer.

Currently people can only go contactless to pay for special events, such as weddings, christenings, and parties. "Collection plate" donations are still being trialed, but could be launched later this year -- the main obstacle being that technologies like Apple Pay are actually slower than tossing coins or bills into a plate.

It's unusual for a religious organization to accept Apple Pay, which is aimed mostly at retailers with dedicated payment terminals, as well as commercial apps and websites. Select non-profits have supported the technology since November 2016 though, and a proliferation of handheld/small-scale payment systems has made it possible for just about any organization to take Apple Pay -- though they may have to send service fees to companies like Square.
Francules

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    Mammon 1.0
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Currently people can only go contactless to pay for special events, such as weddings, christenings, and parties. "Collection plate" donations are still being trialed, but could be launched later this year -- the main obstacle being that technologies like Apple Pay are actually slower than tossing coins or bills into a plate.

Unless you don’t have any cash, in which case Apple Pay is a bit faster. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Only the rich consider accepting money digitally.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 4 of 11
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Apple Pay Cash maybe?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Sweet. I set up a recurring charge on credit card. (Not at Church of England.) Nothing like getting a kickback of spamazon points for tithes/offerings. 
  • Reply 6 of 11
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I thought people with no common sense owned Android phones.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Modern begging. Hey, they could always do a Kickstarter also...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    FranculesFrancules Posts: 122member
    Good for them! ✝️
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Had to laugh when I read this, I love Apple Pay but for collections in a church? Bit strange.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    As an avid Watch user and follower of Jesus the Christ (Superstar!), we've moved into a time when it's possible that one couldn't buy or sell goods or/and services without a mark on the wrist or forehead. (Maybe Mapple will name its first head-borne device Mark I. Dong dong dong! "This device is quite the Beast!" raves reviewers!)
    edited March 2018 equality72521
  • Reply 11 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Modern begging. Hey, they could always do a Kickstarter also...
    This always reminds me of the following:

"He loves you and he needs money".

More and more people are going digital with payments so they don't carry as much cash around with them, especially loose change. All kinds of collections will have to accommodate digital eventually. It would be better for buskers than cash because with some payment methods you'd be able to send money from a distance and can do it while walking past.