Apple climbs LinkedIn's 2018 top companies to work list, sits in sixth place

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2018
LinkedIn has released their annual list of the most sought-after employers, with Apple coming in at number six, up one position from last year.

Beating out Apple for the remaining top spots includes Amazon, Alphabet, Facebook, Salesforce, and Tesla in that order.

LinkedIn notes that based on their data, Apple has increased their engineering and IT headcount 8 percent and 4 percent in 2017. LinkedIn pegs Apple's headcount at 120,000, roughly 10,000 employees more than last year's assessment.

As far as some of the distinguish factors that could draw employees to Apple, LinkedIn highlights Apple's maternity leave policy (18 weeks for new moms, six weeks for dads), their willingness to freeze eggs for those who prefer to defer parenthood, and the generous 25 percent discount on the company's devices.

To create their annual Top Companies list, LinkedIn users actions and data collected from their 546+ million members across the world. They analyze actual user actions including job demand from job postings, engagement with the company, interest in its employees, and retention.

The trends seen in the top companies this year spotted by LinkedIn are an emphasis on diversity, outside-the-box perks, and healthcare. They even highlight Apple's rumored primary care facilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Guess the vote for FaceBook was a bit premature. As I read the list I wonder how they actually arrived at this. You might be right to call this the list of most successful companies, but that is not the same as the best place to work. Comcast and Uber are high on this list. There has been too much negative publicity for these two companies in the recent past to say these are top places to work. 
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    kent909 said:
    Guess the vote for FaceBook was a bit premature. As I read the list I wonder how they actually arrived at this. You might be right to call this the list of most successful companies, but that is not the same as the best place to work. Comcast and Uber are high on this list. There has been too much negative publicity for these two companies in the recent past to say these are top places to work. 
    LinkedIn doesn't call this the best places to work, but the most sought-after places to work. 

The basically take a look at how many people view and apply to job postings, how many people view the employees and interact with the employees there, the retention of the employees who do work there, and how people follow/interact with the company profile. They then normalize that data from all of its millions of users to come up with this list of places people most want to work for.