Disgruntled HomePod owners say firmware update alters sound quality

Posted:
in General Discussion
A number of HomePod owners are airing their dissatisfaction over Apple's first firmware update for the device, saying the new software tweaks the speaker's sonic fingerprint, a specific sound for which customers paid a hefty premium.

Reports scattered across social media services and online forums like Reddit suggest Thursday's HomePod update modifies the speaker's onboard DSP or preconfigured equalization algorithm.

The general consensus among detractors is that the firmware, while delivering a more prominent mid-range, noticeably degrades bass impact and loudness. These same people assert bass-heavy tracks lack the punch afforded with HomePod's original software, leaving them with a dull-sounding speaker.

Apple's release notes fail to mention such changes, saying only that the 11.3 update "includes general improvements for stability and quality."

While not overwhelming, HomePod's ability to produce clean, powerful bass was a standout feature for many reviewers, including AppleInsider.

A drastic EQ overhaul would be of major concern for users who purchased HomePod based on their initial impression of the speaker, especially considering Apple does not allow manual tuning. Apple itself touts HomePod's sonic merits over Siri integration, which many find inadequate compared to the capabilities of competing hardware.

However, for every disgruntled user who decries HomePod's software update, there seems to be another dissenting voice extolling the new version's boost to bass fidelity and loudness. Still more say there is no discernible difference between the two firmware releases.

With conflicting views and no tangible evidence, the supposed problem appears to be overblown. As with many audio hardware characteristics, the line between good and bad boils down to perception and user preference. The situation becomes all the more murky when adding advanced technologies like room sensing, dynamic acoustic tuning and beamforming into the equation.

That said, those leery of Apple's update should disable automatic downloads in the Home app by tapping on the GPS icon-styled button in the top left corner of the home screen, scrolling down to Speakers > Software Update and toggling Install Updates Automatically to the off position.

For users who installed the update and are unsatisfied with the supposed changes, check out AppleInsider's guide to tuning HomePod using equalizers in iOS and macOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    If ever you needed proof hearing is subjective this is it.

"However, for every disgruntled user who decries HomePod's software update, there seems to be another dissenting voice extolling the new version's boost to bass fidelity and loudness. Still more say there is no discernible difference between the two firmware releases."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 86
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
     Some people some people just like to complain.
    equality72521williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 86
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    So, some complainers complainer, well, hey.

If those people had received this version first and then it had gone to the previous one, they would undoubtedly would have complained about that too.
    kruegdudebonobobequality72521williamlondonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 86
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    This is encouraging news and I will to have to check out the HomePod again at the Apple store. I returned the one I bought because it produced very low frequency sound (infrasound) that was annoying and painful to my ears. Otherwise I appreciated the sound quality and greatly appreciated the vastly superior voice recognition over Amazon and Google. The only other downside for me was the (very) limited selection of Internet radio streams.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 5 of 86
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I found the base to be improved today. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 86
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...is Apple listening...?
  • Reply 7 of 86
    The HomePod is a bit of a mess. Not dissimilar to other recent product and service introductions. This seems to be an absolutely sad product rollout. Pull it, fix it, and reintroduce it when it’s ready and reasonably complete, Apple. 

I’ll wait. 
    muthuk_vanalingamasdasdtechrulesdeepinsider
  • Reply 8 of 86

“Base”?
    1STnTENDERBITScornchiptokyojimu[Deleted User]pscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 86
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    Worse than that it changed the color of my HomePod from Space Gray to White. 
    randominternetpersoncornchipbaconstanghammeroftruthequality72521zroger73sphericjdgazsuddenly newtonjahblade
  • Reply 10 of 86

“Base”?
    Tee hee.  No more rings on wooden tables.  :p

bonobobSolibaconstangmuthuk_vanalingamtechrulesnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 86
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    If someone says it's better, someone else says it's worse and a third person says there's no change, doesn't that mean all three cancel out and there's no story?
    StrangeDaysrandominternetpersonTuubormagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 86
    foggyhill said:
    So, some complainers complainer, well, hey.

If those people had received this version first and then it had gone to the previous one, they would undoubtedly would have complained about that too.
    But of course they would.  They would have purchased the HP with one sound signature and the update would have created a different one.  The complaint is it's different.  Whether or not that's factual remains to be seen since the release notes are vague and uninformative.  
    muthuk_vanalingamretrogusto
  • Reply 13 of 86
    The HomePod is a bit of a mess. Not dissimilar to other recent product and service introductions. This seems to be an absolutely sad product rollout. Pull it, fix it, and reintroduce it when it’s ready and reasonably complete, Apple. 

I’ll wait. 
    Fix what exactly, and wth other launches, like the very successful apple watch and airpods. Another one who just spouts whatever runs in his head.
    StrangeDaysmwhiteJFC_PAmagman1979equality72521netmagebrucemcjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 86
    If someone says it's better, someone else says it's worse and a third person says there's no change, doesn't that mean all three cancel out and there's no story?
    Everything about Apple is click bait, thus a "story". A person farts in Apple store and you'll hear about how Apple is upsetting people's digestion....
    StrangeDaysmagman1979equality72521dewmewatto_cobra1983
  • Reply 15 of 86
    listening to what?.. to a small group of random whiners... more nonsense.

Plenty of people said that the bass was overemphasized at launch and I'm guessing that's what got "fixed" to make it more neutral.
    magman1979jdgazwatto_cobranunzy1983
  • Reply 16 of 86
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

I’ll wait. 
    Really don’t follow you. My friend has one and it sounds amazing, best shelf speaker I’ve heard. Seems to be working just great. 

Maybe youre mistaking the infinite number of apple whiners and haters as representative of the market as a whole?
    magman1979equality72521williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 86
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    foggyhill said:
    listening to what?.. to a small group of random whiners... more nonsense.

Plenty of people said that the bass was overemphasized at launch and I'm guessing that's what got "fixed" to make it more neutral.
    There is a definite change. Bass ( subwoofer ) sound is more musical and controlled now and not just low with the update. Mids are definitely more pronounced. I think there is a bit more volume to mids and vocals ( not in a bad way ). There is a change to make it sound more neutral and it will take some people a bit to get used too. I noticed it immediately and liked it.  B)
    MisterKitmagman1979equality72521markbyrnnetmagesphericjdgazpscooter63
  • Reply 18 of 86
    cpsro said:
    [...] I returned the one I bought because it produced very low frequency sound (infrasound) that was annoying and painful to my ears.
    I've only seen two measurements of the HomePod's frequency response, but neither showed any appreciable output below about 50 Hz. It's extremely unlikely that a HomePod would be capable of producing infrasonics. I would humbly suggest that there is very likely some other explanation for the discomfort you experienced.
    baconstangmagman1979jkichlinenetmagePickUrPoisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Did yours topple over a lot?
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 86
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    I have updated my HomePod and have to be honest, my immediate impression was the bass was less prominent but I need to do more testing.
    magman1979