Slow DSL: WTF

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So my mother calls me on the phone to say that she ordered DSL. Interesting, I thought, but I told her that Comcast's cable is better for less cost. Anyway, I'm using it now, and, I have to say, it's slower than dialup.

I'm not quite sure how this is possible, but maybe Verizon fücked up, or perhaps the phone lines here have lots of ultrasonic noise. Interestingly, I got only 2% packet loss when I pinged a distant server with 100 pings, so I guess it's not the noise.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm curious what the cause could be.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    maybe your street or neighborhood was just kind of "tacked on" to the dsl services, so they didn't really take any time to make ti a solid connection, they spent as little cash as possible just so they could get a few extra sales....thats what happened to my street(sorta)

we're about to get cable modem(they are wiring the street now) I'm excited, its probably going to be really slow though, but anything will beat our SUPER SLOW dial-up
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Alright: I fixed the problems.

1) I cleaned up the wiring in the line-in box from the street. (That's in the house). It was old, and maybe some of the connections weren't tight. . . Now they're of new wire and soldered on!

2) I found this dinosaur of a phone plugged in, in the attic. An army green Ma-Bell issue. It doesn't even have an RJ-11 connector. The big thing about DSL is that all phones need to be run through low-pass filters, which verizon provides, so they don't booger up the DSL-bandwidth. This undiscovered phone was unfiltered. I don't think anyone will mind if it's not connected.

Now it seems to move pretty well. I was a bit skeptical at first with Verizon since I know that in the past there have been at lot of phone problems with this house. (mostly due to the lines breaking, falling-off, and crappy reinstallation.) A couple years ago I bugged Bell Atlantic enough and they re-wired the road (it's small) with new phone lines. So, as usual, it's my fault, but then again it's not everyone who's going to rewire the line-in box.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Dork.