Apple CEO Tim Cook discusses education, job creation, more in interview

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2018
Last week, Apple CEO Tim Cook sat down with MSNBC and Recode to answer some hard-hitting questions about education, social issues, trade and more. The interview airs today, but AppleInsider was at the filming to provide highlights from the event.

In the special, "Revolution: Apple Changing the World," Cook talked to Chris Hayes and Kara Swisher in a Q&A session delving into a number of hot button topics.

Education is a key focus for Cook, who notes "change needs to happen" at U.S. schools. Helping to push forward that agenda, Apple is boosting its efforts to bring coding into the classroom with new software like Classroom, the Apple Teacher portal and the Everyone Can Create curriculum, as well as hardware including the recently released 9.7-inch iPad.

"I want America to be strong, first and foremost, and I think to do that, we need to code," Cook said. "It is a language and it is everywhere in our life. It is problem solving. You need critical thinking to know what is fake and what is real."

Apple introduced a slew of products and software enhancements at a special education event last week.

Cook also touched on topics including DACA, U.S. manufacturing, freedom of speech, data privacy, Facebook's Cambridge Analytica scandal and more.

Cook's interview airs in full at 8 p.m. Eastern on MSNBC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Most undervalued CEO out there.
    FolioGeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    Most undervalued CEO out there.
    Indeed. 

I’ll look out for the interview. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I wonder if he’s ever learned to code.
    wozwoz
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    I wonder if he's ever owned a monitor?  Or a computer?   What's a computer mom?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wozwoz said:
    I wonder if he's ever owned a monitor?  Or a computer?   What's a computer mom?
     I Imagine so.  Given his age, I reckon he’s owned several. I mean, it’s not as if he can’t afford one. 
    bonobob
  • Reply 6 of 10
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    He’s a good man. While he’s clearly passionate about some things that I cannot get as worked up about, I truly admire his authenticity and decency. 

In the midst of all the corporate detritus all around us, Apple comes through as a great company. 
    Foliojony0
  • Reply 7 of 10
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Watched the first hour, last night on MSNBC. Superb!  There's a second hour to be scheduled.  I hope in the next week.
    minicoffee
  • Reply 8 of 10
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member

Maybe we can give him a hand. We all know Apple’s war chest will soon swell to the size of many golden California hilltops, readily topping $100 billion if it decides to pay off early ALL its low interest debt. Doubtful even the Pentagon has such discretionary cash.

How Cook’s team decides to allocate will help define his tenure, which is already remarkable imo.

Of course, further dividend raise and buybacks would be good, as in the past. But why not also embark on special things out of the ordinary? Things that help users, fortify iOS and Mac machinations, and who knows may also help content creators, devs, artists, musicians, etc.

In some ways the braintrust that is AppleInsider staff and its forum participants can speak more openly than employees in Cupertino or at stores. 

Perhaps, if it’s not already in the works, AI might consider writing such an article, prime the pump, to solicit ideas, and riffs off other ideas. If they are collected all in one place, it’s more likely to get high level attention. 

Meanwhile, reader’s might think of a few gems, or hone earlier ideas, in anticipation. (If some ideas are better kept private, away from Amazon or Google, then you might email corporate directly.) 

• Reply 9 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I wonder if he’s ever learned to code.
    Bill Gates asked the same (or very similar) question of Steve Jobs....