Do we need a 56K modem in the new iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm starting to wonder if we really need a 56K modem in the new iMac. For the nearly 10 million of us with broadband connections a built-in modem is not especially useful and simply increases the price and takes up internal space, even if only minimally.

Why not offer an internal 56K modem as an option (or even as an external offering)?

Isn't dial-up going the way of the floppy?

Just my two bits.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    10 million broadband users leaves around 350 million who don't have broadband. Modems will be around for a while.

the entry level computer users that buy the majority of iMacs will always need modem access.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    The modem can't go the way of the floppy. People hung on to the floppy by choice. People are hanging onto the modem by necessity. Even in moderate-sized areas, there are still no broadband options whatsoever.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Good points. But in some markets, such as Canada and South Korea, the number of broadband connections equals or surpasses the number of dial-up connections.

Regarding the U.S. market I'm not sure what the rate of penetration is exactly but I believe that about 10-15% are broadband and the remainder dial-up, which the ratio gradually shifting in favor of broadband.

I'm not arguing that the 56K modem should be eliminated altogether, so much as it's days are numbered and that the option not to pay for this legacy feature would be nice.

Perhaps I'm getting too far ahead of the market on this one.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    There was a report that a lot of people are leaving broadband and going back to modems. Cheaper connections that in the end work better. Besides why do you care in there's a $50 (or cheaper) modem in the box? Kind of riuns the all in one feel.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    It will happen at some point, but as other people have pointed out the time is not now. I can't get broadband in my area yet, so for me a modem is needed.

One thing about broadband, usage is not growing as fast as many experts expected for several different reasons.

Chris
  • Reply 6 of 18
    You can opt not to have the internal modem if you buy from the Apple store (at least on the towers), and you only take about 30 bucks off the price.

You have to laugh though when they list it as a "high speed modem"
  • Reply 7 of 18
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Eventually 56k modems will be taken out, but now isn't the right time. There's too many people who don't have broadband. Also, since the iMac is for consumers and newbies, a lot of them don't have broadband.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    I agree that not everyone has broadband access and that the number of broadband users has not grown as quickly as predicted in some quarters. It is effectively beyond dispute, however, that broadband (of some sort) will eventually supplant dial-up access.

Regarding that all-in-one feel, my Tangerine iMac seems to lack this when I attach a printer, scanner, floppy disk drive, and headphones.

And why pay for something that I (and many others) don't need? I'd rather Steve Jobs put that $20-40 savings toward a super drive, a bigger LCD, or some other forward looking feature/function. And make the 56K modem optional.

Thanks all for the comments.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by Turkey Boy:

<strong>

And why pay for something that I (and many others) don't need? I'd rather Steve Jobs put that $20-40 savings toward a super drive, a bigger LCD, or some other forward looking feature/function. And make the 56K modem optional.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because the majority of people buying an iMac do need it. When your in the Majority then you can start making a case. I'd say that until 20% or less people in the US use Dail up you'll see a modem in the iMac. I really doubt that it costs Apple $20-$40 for an internal modem. I'd guess the component parts would be under $10. Afterall you can buy retail external modems for $50, considering it's internal & OEM it'd be much less.

Additionally dialup modems also serve another important function to consumers, a fax machine. I know that I don't have a fax machine at home but I use my Mac to fax out a lot. So taking this away & expecting people to use broadband would also equal in one less feature (fax).
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Perhaps you haven't been paying attention much lately...in case you didn't notice @home bit the dust and many people had no choice but to revert to dialup with their modems. Most are back online, but for quite awhile yet I would want a modem as backup at the least. If Apple is only giving a credit of $30 if taken out of a tower, their cost must be even lower. As for space, if any machine that can have a built in modem that space exists, whether a modem is filling it or not.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Turkey Boy:

<strong>

Thanks all for the comments.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you think it costs Apple 20-40 for the modem you are mistaken. I am betting it is $5 or less. I know that im ny work for Micron Electronics they sold an internal modem for $50 that they paid $8 for. That is one reason they are so willing to replace them when they break, they are still big money ahead.

Apple is no different in this respect. The cost savings is insignificant to the system cost. It would get you nothing in the long run likely.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    If were going to play the "remove stuff I don't use" game then you can remove the network card. If anyone needs one they can get an external one.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by X704:

<strong>

Additionally dialup modems also serve another important function to consumers, a fax machine. I know that I don't have a fax machine at home but I use my Mac to fax out a lot. So taking this away & expecting people to use broadband would also equal in one less feature (fax).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Im with X704. Until most FAX machines worldwide switch to some other method of recieving data other than being at the end of a phone number, I think there will always be the option for a modem.

LG
  • Reply 14 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by X704:

<strong>

Additionally dialup modems also serve another important function to consumers, a fax machine. I know that I don't have a fax machine at home but I use my Mac to fax out a lot. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Now if only someone would release Fax software for Mac OS X! Steve's only got 3 more "hours" on his clock to go...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    When the hell are we gonna see v.92 modems.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Not only are there many people without access to broadband or whatever, but there are many who don't want it. I know plenty of people who surf the net only a few hours a week, and check their email for 10-15 minutes each day. A modem works fine for this level of internet usage.

Additionally, a modem is an important option for portability, something that the iMac has always had. It's "luggable", and a modem is perfect because one can plug into the net anywhere they take their iMac. Remove the modem and suddenly the iMac loses much of it's plug 'n play, all-in-one charm.

Anyways, $50/month for internet access is a total rip off. Modems are needed as long as internet users get raped by the ISPs for high bandwidth.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    The cost of the modem is negligible.

Not everyone is as special as you Turkey Boy and has the privledge of having broadband access.

Now hear this! Bannish all 56K modems from this day on as Turkey Boy does not need it!

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Cobra ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Additionally, a modem is an important option for portability, something that the iMac has always had. It's "luggable", and a modem is perfect because one can plug into the net anywhere they take their iMac. Remove the modem and suddenly the iMac loses much of it's plug 'n play, all-in-one charm.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not to mention I can take my powerbook to any client/ prospect (hell even my 'weekend appartment by the seaside ), without having to worry about connectivity, missing e-mails or faxes, and also foregoing having to install a second (pretty expensive for an average 100 hours /year) broadband connection at a place I go to to escape from work .

The day I get unmetered access at reasonable speeds for a fixed amount a month on my mobile phone, then maybe I can go without an internal modem. But even then I'd rather have one on the machine than not.

It's like the ADB port on my G3. The day my USB keyboard broke, boy I was glad I could just plug in another vintage keyboard while waiting for a repair....